AVATAR Thread: POCAHONTAS in Space!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

#151 Post by Paul MacLean »

I'll be honest -- I'm for the environment. It angers me that more than 90% of California's redwoods are gone. I think we DO need to do something about pollution. I don't want our world to turn into Coruscant.

I've approved of the environmental messages in some movies. The fact that Avatar had environmental angle wouldn't have bothered me, except for the fact it was so peachy and self-righteous -- and simpleminded.

Cameron is unfortunately one of those people who pays lip service to environmental issues but don't even bother to examine the actual facts.

As someone who cares about environmental issues I am embarrassed by people like him, because they create the impression that environmentalists are all arrogant asses.

However, I'm not a vegetarian. I only use incandescent lightbulbs. I find it absolutely imbecilic that California lawmakers think outlawing the sale of big screen TVs are going to save the Earth.

And I don't believe in global warming. The fact is, there quite simply is no evidence that global warming is a reality, much less caused by man. But say this to some people and they look at you as you're a holocaust denier (or a "$#@!" if you're talking to James Cameron).

If evidence for global warming was so overwhelming why did An Inconvenient Truth need to filch effects shots from The Day After Tomorrow and pass them off as the real thing? :roll:

It also boils my blood to hear these Hollywood millionaires telling people "You need to be more environmentally conscious" while they fly around in private jets.
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.

Eric W.

#152 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote: I only use incandescent lightbulbs.
Never drop one of those. :shock:

I find it absolutely imbecilic that California lawmakers think outlawing the sale of big screen TVs are going to save the Earth.
It's par for the course for your legislators out there, though. Decades worth.

When do CA residents finally have enough? What does it take?

How about all the oil you guys are sitting on but can't touch because you might kill a carboo or something like that? CA could easily be the richest state in the entire Union with very little effort and just some common sense across the boards but the "environmental" stuff has just buried you guys in spades. No way around it.

And I don't believe in global warming. The fact is, there quite simply is no evidence that global warming is a reality, much less caused by man. But say this to some people and they look at you as you're a holocaust denier (or a "$#@!" if you're talking to James Cameron).
And others like him. There's a sad number of people out there that simply will not tolerate any kind of disagreement or dissent from their nearly religious like views on some of this stuff.

If evidence for global warming was so overwhelming why did An Inconvenient Truth need to filch effects shots from The Day After Tomorrow and pass them off as the real thing? :roll:
I'm still waiting for Al Gore to furnish for us his scientific credentials but he's too busy counting all the money he's made so never mind.

It also boils my blood to hear these Hollywood millionaires telling people "You need to be more environmentally conscious" while they fly around in private jets.
And then some. You got it.

Paul MacLean

#153 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric W. wrote:
Paul MacLean wrote: I only use incandescent lightbulbs.
Never drop one of those. :shock:.
Its better to drop an incandescent bulb than a fluorescent one, which is full of toxic gas.

I hear all these people who say "We need to get rid of those wasteful incandescent lightbulbs to save the Earth!" What happens to the Earth when all those fluorescent bulbs get broken and release toxic gas into the atmosphere?

Eric W.

#154 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote: Its better to drop an incandescent bulb than a fluorescent one, which is full of toxic gas.

I hear all these people who say "We need to get rid of those wasteful incandescent lightbulbs to save the Earth!" What happens to the Earth when all those fluorescent bulbs get broken and release toxic gas into the atmosphere?
True.

I'm going to keep using normal lightbulbs as long as I can.

John Johnson

#155 Post by John Johnson »

I see Best Buy have posted a notice saying you need to perform upgrades to certain BD players to watch the film. Any reason why this may be?
London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#156 Post by Paul MacLean »

John Johnson wrote:I see Best Buy have posted a notice saying you need to perform upgrades to certain BD players to watch the film. Any reason why this may be?
I thought they ironed out those Blu-ray bugs a long time ago.

The industry should have gone with HD-DVD... :roll:

Monterey Jack

#157 Post by Monterey Jack »

I have owned my Blu-Ray player for nearly seven months, and the only title I have had the slightest difficulty playing has been Ponyo (I eventually had to use the scene selection menu to get it playing). When I bought into the format, I had nightmare visions of having to "upgrade" the player every few weeks, but I've yet to have any significant problems in this area.

AndyDursin

#158 Post by AndyDursin »

Things have gotten MUCH better with firmware over the last year. I think the studios have figured out how to release titles that, like, actually PLAY without adding new coding that requires updates.

It took this format a long time to get to this point, much longer than it should have, but I'd dare say it's almost STABLE now. Problematic titles have decreased expotentially over the last year.

John Johnson

#159 Post by John Johnson »

London. Greatest City in the world.