Ridley Scott's GLADIATOR 2...oh sorry, ROBIN HOOD...Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

#16 Post by John Johnson »

Here's the UK trailer, which I think it is much better than the U.S. version.

London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#17 Post by Paul MacLean »

I was originally excited when I heard about this film, but I didn't care for the initial trailer, and have to say like this one even less. And I think Blanchett and even Crowe are just too old for the roles. I mean Crowe is older than Sean Connery was in Robin and Marian.

And Marian on horseback in armor?

Hey I'm all for strong female characters...but why do filmmakers keep changing traditional myths or the intentions of authors (as they did in LOTR) to make the leading lady into some kind of Xena: Warrior Princess?

I'll probably see it, because every Scott movie is impressively mounted and visually arresting...but I do miss the days when he strove to create beautiful images (The Duelists, Legend).

John Johnson

#18 Post by John Johnson »

RUSSELL Crowe has been getting training from a top Hollywood voice coach to give the latest Robin Hood an authentic East Midlands accent.
After more than 120 different TV versions of the famous Sherwood Forest bandit - director Ridley Scott has decided HIS will speak like a local.

New Zealand born Crowe and the rest of his marauding band of Merry Men have been given intensive training to improve on the American accent of Kevin Costner in Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves and the posh English accent used by Errol Flynn in 1938.

They have been taught local sayings like "Ey up, me duck" and to pronounce Nottingham as "Noddinham," cup as "corp" and taking as "tekking" for the film, set to open in May.

This version Robin Hood will show a more realistic and bloody version of 12th century Britain than the previous action adventure films.

But the portrayal is not entirely accurate - the only languages spoke in England during that period were indecipherable old English and Norman French.

Crowe's East midlands accent is the same as that of local celebrities actress Su Pollard, bestselling author Robert Harris and Steve Coogan's BBC character Tommy Saxondale.

Scott hired two voice coaches for the highly anticipated film including Judy Dickerson, an American who trained Crowe in Oscar winning smash hit "Gladiator."

He also hired Andrew Jack, and Englishman who has worked with the other cast including Cate Blanchett, who plays Maid Marian.

And instead of picking a Nottingham accent the director chose the softer sounding tones of nearby Rutland.

Jack said: "It's more rural and softer and so more suited to the countryside of Sherwood."

The current sheriff of Nottingham expressed his surprise at the choice of accent for the film saying: "It's not very well known or identifiable."

He also said he was disappointed that the film was not actually filmed on location in Sherwood.

The filming was mainly done in Kent, Hertfordshire and west Wales - because Sherwood Forest does not have enough trees.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... Arrer.html

John Johnson

#19 Post by John Johnson »

'Robin Hood' to open Cannes Film Festival

Russell Crowe's Robin Hood will be the opening night film at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival.

The period epic, which centres on the birth of the outlaw legend, is to screen out of competition on May 12 at the prestigious event. The movie will then open worldwide on May 14.

Crowe is reteaming with his Gladiator director Ridley Scott on Robin Hood, which also stars Cate Blanchett, Mark Strong, Max Von Sydow and William Hurt.

This year's Festival de Cannes runs from May 12 to May 23.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news ... tival.html

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

I'll probably see it, because every Scott movie is impressively mounted and visually arresting...but I do miss the days when he strove to create beautiful images (The Duelists, Legend).
BLACKHAWK DOWN was great but the last 10 years really have not been kind to Ridley. Most of his films seem to be teetering on the verge of being somnubulent, lol.

This movie did get a PG-13 so it's clear he's aiming this for wider viewers (I mean, it IS Robin Hood after all), and maybe it'll be good entertainment, but on the surface, I still think it looks like every other film he's made for the last decade....and Marc Stretfield? Too bad about that one.

John Johnson

#21 Post by John Johnson »

Crowe nearly quit Robin Hood over script issues

Russell Crowe nearly quit his role in the upcoming Robin Hood movie after the first draft of the script painted the legendary outlaw as a villain.
The project, originally titled Nottingham, was marred with problems when production began in 2007, with movie bosses forced to halt work while scriptwriters reworked the story. Sienna Miller was originally cast as Maid Marian, but was axed in favour of Cate Blanchett, and the title was changed to Robin Hood.

Filming eventually began in 2008 and wrapped last year, and Crowe admits he's glad movie bosses agreed to rework the project - because he wouldn't have continued if the script hadn't been rewritten.

He says, "When I read that particular script, and no disrespect to the guys who wrote it, but it kind of read like CSI: Sherwood Forest. And I just wasn't into doing that. It wasn't interesting to me in that incarnation."

While director Ridley Scott adds, "It was f**king ridiculous. It was terrible, a page-one rewrite. If you're going to invest in a Robin Hood story, why call it Nottingham? You'd end up spending 80 per cent of the publicity budget on explaining why it's Nottingham, not just Robin Hood. It doesn't make any sense."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20100405/ten ... 0bd6d.html

AndyDursin

#22 Post by AndyDursin »

I recall the original concept of Robin being the bad guy -- and then the rumors Crowe was playing both Robin and the Sheriff or something absurd like that.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Completely unsurprised.

The first group of AICN press screening reviews are up -- and they're not positive. Supposedly boring and confusing, and very much like Ridley's last few films....

"I don’t know whether the film could ever have been good, but as it, it’s got to rank as one of the biggest disappointments of the season."

"Apparently, behind-the-scenes turbulence of bringing “Nottingham” to the screen took its toll on this latest incarnation of the “Robin Hood” legend. Actually written as a “prequel” to the more-familiar story, Ridley Scott’s “Robin Hood” is a surprisingly dull and choppy origin film that adds little compelling to the canon and even comes out as a lesser effort than Kevin Costner’s much-derided film."

"This movie feels like I am watching a ---- sequel to Gladiator. Every shot, every camera angle, every blow to the head, every word coming out of Crowe's mouth SCREAMS Gladiator. The confusing storyline, partially blamed by the films editing, and crusade ****, is where Kingdom of Heaven (theatrical cut) sticks it's head in and waves hello."

Sounds like it's a wait for video for me at least!

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/44783

Monterey Jack

#24 Post by Monterey Jack »

Where's Errol Flynn when you need him? :cry:

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Where's Errol Flynn when you need him? :cry:
Yeah, the one thing you could tell from watching the trailer -- this is, no matter how it turns out, another grim, humorless "real movie" slog through entertainment that used to be upbeat and fun.

Scott needs a hiatus. His act is beyond old at this point. And there is no bigger fan of ALIEN and BLADE RUNNER than me!

Monterey Jack

#26 Post by Monterey Jack »

It's just kind of funny and sad that, SEVENTY YEARS LATER, no one has managed to make a better Robin Hood movie than the 1938 film. What happened to light-hearted swashbuckler movies, anyways? The two Antonio Banderas Zorro movies are the only films in recent memory that had that "old-fashioned" charm and lightness to them. I assume we'll see some gloomy, desaturated, shakey-cam Zorro "re-imagning" within the next decade or so. :roll:

Monterey Jack

#27 Post by Monterey Jack »

YOIKS...AND AWAY...! [whump] :lol:

AndyDursin

#28 Post by AndyDursin »

I loved that short, lol.

This one's a classic too. "Jolly good!"

John Johnson

#29 Post by John Johnson »

Ridley Scott teases 'Hood', 'Alien' plans

Ridley Scott has revealed fresh new plans for Robin Hood and Alien.

The 72-year-old director announced the potential storyline for his proposed Robin Hood sequel, which he announced last month.

He told The Daily Telegraph: "In it we'll take King John up to being forced to sign the Magna Carta by his people, who will probably be led by a guy called Robin Hood, and all the historians will go nuts!"

Meanwhile, on his planned prequel for 1979 movie Aliens, Scott explained: "I got fed up with all the sequels, so I'm going to do a prequel, which will be set before the days of Sigourney Weaver's character.

"It will take place in about 2085 when they first come across this thing. And it will ask the question, 'Who is the guy lying in a chair with his chest blown outwards?'"

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/news ... plans.html

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

More bad reviews continue to flow in....

"This physically imposing picture brings abundant political-historical dimensions to its epic canvas, yet often seems devoted to stifling whatever pleasure audiences may have derived from the popular legend."

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117942 ... Id=31&cs=1

"As it turned out, low expectations were actually the perfect primer for this excessively long, overwrought, painfully serious movie."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45045

"The directorial choices are, for the most part, so lazy, the blockbuster engineering so blatant, that Robin Hood often falls into self-parody."

http://www.villagevoice.com/2010-05-11/ ... obin-hood/