Ridley Scott's GLADIATOR 2...oh sorry, ROBIN HOOD...Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

#31 Post by John Johnson »

I can't wait to see it. I never take notice of reviews.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

John Johnson wrote:I can't wait to see it. I never take notice of reviews.
I mean, of course I understand everyone makes their own judgment, and I will see it on video for sure and see how it shapes up. God knows I've seen plenty of films other people didn't like that I did.

That said, as a consumer, not a critic, I'm not spending my money on it. I haven't liked any of Scott's recent films, whether it was AMERICAN GANGSTER or KINGDOM OF HEAVEN, and don't feel like sitting through another humorless, grim, visually cliched and bloated 2.5 hour "epics' that people seem to think is convoluted and boring.

But as always, we'll see...but you can try it before I will, lol ;)

The red flag with this should've been the fact Scott had the script reworked a dozen times in pre-production. Narratives have never been his strong suit, and this one sounds like it had its share of problems from the moment he decided to film it, back when it was NOTTINGHAM and the Sheriff was the good guy!

Ridley has been in a major rut since BLACK HAWK DOWN, sadly. Doesn't look like this is going to shake him out of it either.

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

This movie's budget was $225 million!??!?!

Reaction from Cannes has been mixed, though does anyone care if the French press don't care for it? lol. :lol:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/cannes- ... more-40513

So what kind of reception has Universal received for its money? The execs thought the movie "played great" to the media, gushing to Deadline that "reviews and early numbers internationally are terrific". But I found press reaction to the first screening was muted, with some critics questioning the political correctness of the script.

The French press have been almost hostile, not surprising given how unkind this version of Robin Hood is about their countrymen, who are portrayed at best as a kind of Gallic Keystone Kops. Of the London critics, reaction has been mixed. The Times wrote that Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe have delivered a film more provocative than most of the product unspooling here over the next 13 days. The Daily Telegraph said it’s Ridley Scott’s best movie since Gladiator. And Chris Tookey in the Daily Mail called Robin Hood a “magnificent return to form for Sir Ridley Scott with this magnificent epic... This is a cracking good yarn, and you should see it." But Xan Brooks in the Guardian said he watched the movie in an unfilled cinema that barely responded with applause when the end credits rolled. The Spectator magazine said this Robin is “horribly long ... serious to a fault ... a dull movie of the kind that doesn’t pay emotional dividends”.

Russell Crowe, who at Cannes grabbed media attention by picking a fight with Big Media, was criticized in some quarters: “Playing Robin with all the mumbling machismo he can muster, there are times when watching him is as fun as a visit from the tax inspector,” wrote James Mottram in the Independent. Uk critics have been kinder about Cate Blanchett though, with most liking her beefed-up Maid Marian role.

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

Russell swears and cuts short a BBC interview over talk about his "Irish" accent.

Gotta love it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... Irish.html

John Johnson

#35 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Russell swears and cuts short a BBC interview over talk about his "Irish" accent.

Gotta love it...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film ... Irish.html
Of the clips I have seen, he doesn't sound Irish at all. Sounds like someone has to wash their ears out. Good on you Russell, I'm with you.
Not sure if it's Yorkshire or more Midlands based. But Irish? Don't think so!
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

I typically look the other way when Harry reviews a movie at AICN, but his review of ROBIN HOOD is one of the funniest things he's written in years. In fact, he made an excellent point -- if this ROBIN HOOD is supposed to be the START of "the legend," why did they cast a guy who is 47 to play the role? It's the SAME AGE Sean Connery was when he played an "elderly" Robin in ROBIN AND MARIAN!

As for Cate Blanchett, I laughed at these comments as well in the Deadline talkback--

The most embarrassing thing is Cate Blanchett as Old Maid Marion with such a heavy anorexia that one can`t help but laugh when she does her Xena thing. Were those swords made of carton?

This role is one of her more obnoxious ever. She`s truly irritating and unlikable here.

At any rate, John, Paul -- any of you guys see this movie? As bad as folks have claimed??

Eric W.

#37 Post by Eric W. »

I honestly have very little interest in seeing this thing. Harry's review is spot on for any concerns I'd have going into it and like you Andy I usually tend to look the other way when it comes to his opinions but he nailed it this time.

Hell, they couldn't even get a real composer for the thing.

Paul MacLean

#38 Post by Paul MacLean »

Haven't seen it yet. I don't go to movies much at all these days -- to expensive!

But this movie fits into the format for Renaissance Magazine (for whom I write reviews) so it might pay for itself if I do a write up. Then again the new editor has been sidelining me and I've been on the brink of quitting, so maybe I won't see it!

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:Haven't seen it yet. I don't go to movies much at all these days -- to expensive!

But this movie fits into the format for Renaissance Magazine (for whom I write reviews) so it might pay for itself if I do a write up. Then again the new editor has been sidelining me and I've been on the brink of quitting, so maybe I won't see it!
Paul if you visit in the next month maybe we can check it out together...I've heard a few people have even laughed at a couple of scenes! lol.