3-D -- Every Movie Will Be In It!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

3-D -- Every Movie Will Be In It!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Can't believe I'm reading this, but I knew this would happen -- the inflated box-office grosses of all of these 3-D movies is making every studio not only question whether to shoot in 3-D, but also to convert 2-D films to 3-D. Doesn't matter that CLASH OF THE TITANS was apparently worthless in 3-D -- look at what happened today:

-Shyamalan's LAST AIRBENDER is being converted to 3-D this summer

-THE GREEN HORNET is being converted to 3-D (though it's also being pushed back to next January, which is a sign that it's probably horrendous -- no surprise since it's a friggin Seth Rogen SUPERHERO movie)

-MEN IN BLACK 3-D has been announced

Doesn't matter that 3-D is or isn't effective. The fact they can charge another $4 on top of every ticket is the sole reason this is happening.

Monterey Jack

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

The inevitable crash/backlash will happen within the next few years if these after-the-fact 3D "conversions" continue to be as bad as I've heard Clash Of The Titans was. :? I'm willing to shell out extra for 3D a few times a year, but not several dozen times.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:The inevitable crash/backlash will happen within the next few years if these after-the-fact 3D "conversions" continue to be as bad as I've heard Clash Of The Titans was. :?
I hope so. As a filmmaker, the last thing I want is to have integrate some stupid novelty effect into my work. We're already at a point where distributors won't even touch movies unless they're mixed in 5.1 (and I'm not exaggerating). I'd hate to see a day when independent movies can't get shown unless it is in 3D.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote:We're already at a point where distributors won't even touch movies unless they're mixed in 5.1 (and I'm not exaggerating).
Aside from Woody Allen, are there any filmmakers who release films in basic 2.0 stereo anymore?

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote:Aside from Woody Allen, are there any filmmakers who release films in basic 2.0 stereo anymore?
I don't think so.

I personally don't even have a 5.1 sound system at home. I already have fairly expensive Boson Acoustic speakers and an NAD receiver, and feel no need for surround sound.

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Converting 2D to 3d is a nightmare of epic proportions if you begin reading into what's involved.

And it's still not REAL 3D.