THE HOBBIT - Del Toro Quits Project

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

THE HOBBIT - Del Toro Quits Project

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Guillermo del Toro announced today that he's stepped out of the directing assignment on the two film versions of JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit, though he will continue to collaborate as a writer. I would have bet that Peter Jackson would be the one to step back into the director's chair, because there have been rumblings about this lately. But his manager, Ken Kamins, said this is absolutely not a possibility.

The project is years in the works, but the MGM factor only came up after del Toro completed two scripts with the original Lord of the Rings writing team of Jackson, Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh. There have been rumblings about a possible parting of the ways for Del Toro. But it seems bizarre that it's the sole reason. Clearly the fact that the studio--and a talented production and marketing team--has been frozen in suspended animation has been as much an albatross around this project as it has been for the James Bond series. But we've heard there is movement on the ownership front coming soon. So production probably will start late this year or early next year as New Line and MGM claim that the pictures will be in theaters December, 2012 and December, 2013. It's still the same dream job that prompted del Toro to suspend his whopping overall deal at Universal--and a slate full of epic-sized projects--to take on The Hobbit after he got the offer instead of Sam Raimi (who wanted it badly).

I'd heard that with both scripts in, that talks about a possible 3D shoot just began. Though under financial duress, MGM has continued to meet its rights payment obligations on The Hobbit, but not much more than that. Warner Bros is the lead studio on the project, and has ultimate say on green light, but perhaps the films are too large an investment to front alone, or that prospect doesn't benefit the leverage Warner Bros has in a potential buyout of MGM's assets. Rumblings are that there may well be a new player entering the fray shortly, bringing equity and new experienced management. Summit Entertainment and Spyglass are the names most often mentioned, though we also hear Terry Semel and Peter Chernin, the latter of whom reportedly doesn't want it.

Jackson, who is coming off the disappointing Oscar season entry The Lovely Bones, would seem the perfect solution to retake the directing reins after del Toro's exit. They've worked closely, so there would be no interruption in creative continuity. Whether they bring back Raimi (who is working on World of Warcraft but hasn't committed to his next film) or give the job to a filmmaker like Jackson's District 9 protege Neill Blomkamp (he's committed to do his next project for Media Rights Capital) there would be a steep learning curve to bring Middle Earth to life. Jackson translated Tolkien's creation masterfully in the Oscar-winning Lord of the Rings trilogy. According to Kamins, it's not going to happen.

"Peter has and has had obligations and commitments to other films that would make it impossible for him to direct The Hobbit at this time, even if it was offered, which it hasn't been," Kamins said. "I've been quietly working on setting up a film for him to direct while Guillermo would have been directing The Hobbit. What you saw in their respective statements must be taken at face value. All of that said, Peter and Fran's commitment to The Hobbit is total and they will do everything necessary to protect the franchise and the investment made by New Line, Warners and MGM."

Here is what del Toro said: "In light of ongoing delays in the setting of a start date for filming The Hobbit, I am faced with the hardest decision of my life. After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures. I remain grateful to Peter, Fran and Philippa Boyens, New Line and Warner Brothers and to all my crew in New Zealand. I've been privileged to work in one of the greatest countries on earth with some of the best people ever in our craft and my life will be forever changed. The blessings have been plenty, but the mounting pressures of conflicting schedules have overwhelmed the time slot originally allocated for the project. Both as a cowriter and as a director, I wish the production nothing but the very best of luck and I will be first in line to see the finished product. I remain an ally to it and its makers, present and future, and fully support a smooth transition to a new director."

Said Jackson: We feel very sad to see Guillermo leave The Hobbit, but he has kept us fully in the loop and we understand how the protracted development time on these two films, due to reasons beyond anyone's control, has compromised his commitment to other long term projects. The bottom line is that Guillermo just didn't feel he could commit six years to living in New Zealand, exclusively making these films, when his original commitment was for three years...New Line and Warner Bros will sit down with us this week, to ensure a smooth and uneventful transition, as we secure a new director for The Hobbit. We do not anticipate any delay or disruption to ongoing pre-production work."

http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/del-tor ... t-be-next/

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Can only assume MGM is at the end of the line here between this and the Bond issues.

Very odd though that Del Toro opted to exit this late...perhaps he just didn't want to get caught in the middle of it? Strange....

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Hopefully this means Del Toro can make the third Hellboy movie now instead of putting it on the back burner for the next five+ years. 8)

Or maybe he can direct that new Godzilla movie using "old-school" animatronic man-in-suit effects. :D

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Hopefully this means Del Toro can make the third Hellboy movie now instead of putting it on the back burner for the next five+ years. 8)

Or maybe he can direct that new Godzilla movie using "old-school" animatronic man-in-suit effects. :D
I harp on this all the time, but I can't imagine, for the life of me, why they are taking THE HOBBIT -- which was a fairly slight book for Tolkien, aimed at kids more than adults -- and blowing it up into this two-part, SIX HOUR epic. I know it's all about the money but I think a 2-2.5 hour film would suit the actual material just fine.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:I harp on this all the time, but I can't imagine, for the life of me, why they are taking THE HOBBIT -- which was a fairly slight book for Tolkien, aimed at kids more than adults -- and blowing it up into this two-part, SIX HOUR epic. I know it's all about the money but I think a 2-2.5 hour film would suit the actual material just fine.
It's all about the Benjamins in this case. :roll: The original Hobbit book is basically a kid's fable on the same level as something like Willow or Krull...and neither of those movies ran six goddamn hours. :? It's a terrible idea to make this film at any rate, as it can only disappoint people expecting anything on the level of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy.

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: It's a terrible idea to make this film at any rate, as it can only disappoint people expecting anything on the level of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy.
I was disappointed with Peter Jackson's films anyway. In fact they are the most disappointing films I have ever seen. For me he never captured the tone, the essence of the story. And I particularly did not care for his embellishments to Tolkien's work.

His take on the material was purely cosmetic -- all action, but no heart. And Howard Shore's grim, sterile music only further pushed me away. I'd actually rather watch Willow or Krull again then sit through LOTR!

And Del Toro's intention to bring Shore on board for The Hobbit was not particularly good news to me.
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:
Monterey Jack wrote: It's a terrible idea to make this film at any rate, as it can only disappoint people expecting anything on the level of Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy.
I was disappointed with Peter Jackson's films anyway. In fact they are the most disappointing films I have ever seen. For me he never captured the tone, the essence of the story. And I particularly did not care for his embellishments to Tolkien's work.

His take on the material was purely cosmetic -- all action, but no heart. And Howard Shore's grim, sterile music only further pushed me away. I'd actually rather watch Willow or Krull again then sit through LOTR!

And Del Toro's intention to bring Shore on board for The Hobbit was particularly good new for me.
I'm not sure it was really Del Toro's call. Jackson is still producing these films and undoubtedly it was his decision to bring back his former (?) collaborator there.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

I'm not sure it was really Del Toro's call. Jackson is still producing these films and undoubtedly it was his decision to bring back his former (?) collaborator there.
But didn't Del Toro say he couldn't imagine doing the film without Shore (or words to that effect)?

In any case, I'd prefer whoever does direct The Hobbit just re-imagine the style of the film from the ground-up, with no regard or references to the Jackson films.

I'd love to see what Terry Gilliam would do with it.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul MacLean wrote:
But didn't Del Toro say he couldn't imagine doing the film without Shore (or words to that effect)?

In any case, I'd prefer whoever does direct The Hobbit just re-imagine the style of the film from the ground-up, with no regard or references to the Jackson films.

I'd love to see what Terry Gilliam would do with it.
You're right Paul, Del Toro could have said that, but I still don't think it was his decision. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it was an obvious, in-house decision to bring back an Oscar winning composer to complete his work on the "series" to speak.

I'd also love to see what Gilliam would do -- if it was 25 years ago. Sadly, hell will freeze over before Gilliam is entrusted with a large budget again by any studio. (Besides, after TIDELAND, BROTHERS GRIMM, and DR. PARNASSUS, it's not like he's the same filmmaker anymore either :(

Seems to me like Del Toro has a lot of other projects he could go to and that the MGM situation isn't going to be cleared up anytime soon, so he just opted to take off. Can't blame him there, I'd rather see him do HELLBOY III than THE HOBBIT.

I still find it odd that Warner Bros., who with New Line has half of the rights to THE HOBBIT, just doesn't come in and finance the rest of it -- unless the budget is so absurdly high it's too risky for them. You wouldn't think with the amount of money the LOTR films took in internationally that would be the case, but...I dunno. I find the whole situation odd.