SORCERER'S APPRENTICE Bombs - Big Surprise!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SORCERER'S APPRENTICE Bombs - Big Surprise!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

...this horrible summer of awful movies continues.

Whose idea was it to remake a Mickey Mouse cartoon and turn it into a live-action Nicolas Cage vehicle???

Man did Jerry Bruckheimer bomb out this time. PRINCE OF PERSIA is likely going to look good after this one finishes it run, lol!

FRIDAY AM: Disney's disappointing Sorcerer's Apprentice made $3.2M Thursday for a new 2-day cume of $7M. "Hard to believe it's going to be a happy outcome," one rival studio mogul chortled to me. "It'll struggle to hit $30sM." Hollywood thinks this may well be the last film at Disney where Jerry Bruckheimer just phones it in. (Solid $3M Midnights For Nolan's 'Inception')

WEDNESDAY PM/THURSDAY AM UPDATE: Sources at rival studios tell me that Disney's Sorcerer's Apprentice made about $3.7 million today from 3,385 theaters in the U.S. and Canada. That makes for a 5-day projection of less than $30M, and one studio predicted only $20+M, sorcerers_apprentice_movie_poster-550x813which is extremely disappointing for the costly Jerry Bruckheimer tentpole starring Nic Cage, and much less than even the low-ball $35M which Hollywood thought it could make. But I'd been following the pic's tracking, which at no point hinted at a blockbuster.

At 2 1/2 weeks out, Sorcerer's Apprentice was tracking worse than his U.S. underperformer Prince Of Persia: only 29 definite interest and 3 first choice compared to Persia's 36 definite interest and 5 first choice at the same time period. Though exhibitor screenings had gone well, Disney was concerned. A week later, numbers for Sorcerer's Apprentice showed gains with tracking "a lot less dire," one rival studio exec told me. But then, Sorcerer's Apprentice stalled at 8% first choice and didn't gain anything last weekend, which is unusual.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/no-magi ... ice-debut/

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

As usual: I'm glad when something that's so obviously a bad idea to begin with bombs horribly. Good.