WSJ OP-ED: "2010: Worst movie year ever?"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric W.

WSJ OP-ED: "2010: Worst movie year ever?"

#1 Post by Eric W. »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... djournal_0
2010: The Worst Movie Year Ever?
By JOE QUEENAN

In the new movie "Inception," Leonardo DiCaprio burrows deep into the subconscious of a self-absorbed plutocrat to plant a powerful idea that will change the world. If the technology used in "Inception" were available in real life, Mr. DiCaprio might burrow into the subconscious of Hollywood plutocrats and plant these paradigm-altering ideas: Stop making movies like "Grown Ups," "Sex and the City 2," "Prince of Persia" and anything that positions Jennifer Aniston or John C. Reilly at the top of the marquee. Stop trying to pass off Shia LaBeouf—who looks a bit like the young George W. Bush—as the second coming of Tom Cruise. Stop casting Gerard Butler in roles where he is called upon to emote. And if "Legion" and "Edge of Darkness" and "The Back-up Plan" and "Hot Tub Time Machine" are the best you can do, stop making movies, period. Humanity will thank you for it.

Critics have been panning many of the movies to hit theaters this summer. But are the films still raking in money at the box office?

In a millennium that has thus far produced precious few motion pictures in the same class as "The Godfather," "Jurassic Park," "Casablanca," "Gone with the Wind," "My Fair Lady" and "The Matrix," there is a knee-jerk tendency to throw up one's hands and moan that the current year is the worst in the history of motion pictures.

But 2010 very possibly is the worst year in the history of motion pictures.

Where once there was "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves," there is now "Robin Hood," prince of duds. Where once we could look forward to "Breakfast at Tiffany's" and "The Last of the Mohicans," we can now look forward to "Dinner for Schmucks" and "The Last Airbender."

This time two years ago we were treated to the ingenious, subversive "Iron Man"; this year we have the insipid, uninspired "Iron Man 2."

What does it say about the current season that the third installation of "Toy Story" is better than the first installation of anything else? Or that people are actually looking forward to a sequel to the 1982 flop "Tron"? Does this mean that a sequel to "The Rocketeer" will soon be on the way? Quick, Leonardo: Penetrate somebody's subconscious. Fast.

Hollywood's historical mission is not merely to provide a steady stream of engaging movies for a society that simply can't wait for the weekend. It is also to generate a continuous sense of excitement about movies themselves. It's not just that people like to watch movies; they like to anticipate movies, to talk them up long before their release. Sometimes this is because of the epic scale of the undertaking ("Titanic," "Avatar," "Cleopatra," "GoneWith the Wind"), sometimes because of dark rumblings about serious problems with the film ("Ishtar," "Vanilla Sky," "The Passion of the Christ," "Waterworld"), and sometimes because of an entirely unforeseen event, like Madonna's decision to invade an industry that was getting along just fine without her ("Desperately Seeking Susan") or Heath Ledger's untimely death scant months before the public got to see his amazing turn as the Joker in "The Dark Knight." And sometimes it's simply because, as in the case of "Avatar," "Braveheart" and "Apocalypto," everyone in the film has his face painted blue.

Traditionally, the public gets all revved up for films during the winter and spring, imagining how much fun the summer is going to be once Neo or Darth Vader or the Terminator gets here. Or, barring that, when those great white sharks, pesky gremlins or designer brontosauruses blow through town. No such excitement exists this year. Go into a movie theater any day of the week and watch as the audience sits listlessly through a series of lame, mechanical trailers for upcoming films that look exactly like the D.O.A. movies audiences avoided last week.

More films about misunderstood mercenaries. More films about rogue cops. More films about the pivotal role of choreography in rescuing the underclass from its own worst instincts. More movies about congenial thugs from South Boston. More films about boys who do not want to grow up, ever, ever, ever.

More movies about cats.

Admittedly, Hollywood is fighting a war on numerous fronts, and losing all of them.

Revenues may be holding up but that is only because ticket prices keep rising; overall ticket sales are down. And because of the enormous cost of marketing a film—even a low-budget film—Hollywood likes to play it safe. This is why it's a whole lot easier to get a sequel to "Shrek" or "Tron" or "Predator" produced these days. This is an industry that actually makes sequels to bombs— "The Incredible Hulk" is a case in point—simply because the subject matter of the film is at least familiar to audiences. And because the public will have seen so many bad films between the original and the sequel, it may forget how bad the original "Hulk" was. "The Four Amigos" could soon be on its way.

It's not just a case of cowardice; the industry is legitimately confused. The age of the bankable, surefire matinee idol seems to be over, as the industry has discovered with Tom Cruise and Julia Roberts' most recent films. Freshly minted stars like Clive Owen and Daniel Craig sometimes open big, and sometimes do not open at all. With The Rock unconscionably defecting to the world of kiddie comedies, Hollywood is still casting about for a bona fide action star. This year it has auditioned Jake Gyllenhaal ("Prince of Persia"), Adrien Brody ("Predators") and even the game but superannuated Liam Neeson ("The A-Team"). None of these are logical heirs to the throne abandoned by Arnold Schwarzenegger and Harrison Ford and Sylvester Stallone. They are certainly not heirs to the throne vacated by Jet Li and Jackie Chan. They may not even be legitimate heirs to the throne vacated by Steven Seagal and Jean-Claude Van Damme. Vin Diesel, come home, all is forgiven. Well, maybe not "The Pacifier." Or "Babylon A.D." On second thought, Vin, stay away.

Every year, by tacit agreement with the public, Hollywood is expected to produce at least one surprise hit, one out-of-nowhere dark horse or, in a pinch, one cunningly hyped movie that either exhumes a noted actor from the grave or greases the skids so some solid journeyman can ascend to the ranks of the Oscar Winners of yore. The movie doesn't have to be especially good—"Crazy Heart" and "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" certainly weren't—nor does it have to be a homegrown product—"La Vita è Bella," "Slumdog Millionaire" and "Amélie" were all imports—nor does it even have to be a financial bonanza—neither "The Wrestler" nor "The Hurt Locker" broke any box-office records. But it has to be the sort of sleeper hit that the American people start talking about, the kind of movie that leads to an unexpected comeback, or spirited blog postings or a fawning Barbara Walters interview.
Vote

2010 doesn't have one of these movies. "The Kids Are All Right," arguably the most heartwarming lesbian romantic comedy ever, is trying to fill that slot, but whatever its merits, it's no "Sideways," no "March of the Penguins."

The only other candidates for this role would seem to be Robert Duvall's upcoming turn as a crusty old varmint in "Get Low" and Ben Affleck's big-screen comeback in "The Town." Critics also might start banging the drum for the latest film showcasing the ethereal Tilda Swinton or some heartwarming motion picture about lachrymose camels or motorcycling proto-totalitarians or English spinsters who inexplicably decide to become crack dealers, but so far nothing truly phenomenal like "Slumdog Millionaire" seems to be on the horizon.

If movies have a somewhat moldy feel this year, this should come as no surprise. Atom Egoyan's dud "Chloe" was a remake of "Nathalie," a so-so French melodrama about a woman who hires a call girl to seduce her husband, with unsatisfactory results. "Dinner for Schmucks," which promises to be the worst film of the year, is a remake of the brilliant 1998 French comedy "Le Dîner de Cons." Judging from the previews, it is a clump of spittle aimed directly at Lafayette's face. "Predators" is nothing more than "Predator" in Outer Space, with the action taking place on a planet that appears to be Parallel Guatemala. "Piranha 3D" sounds an awful lot like "Piranha," "Repo Men" sounds just a wee bit like "Repo Man," and "Death at a Funeral" is a nearly-all-African-American remake of an English comedy that itself was only intermittently amusing. That film, by the way, was called "Death at a Funeral." Leonardo, burrow deeper.

For similar reasons, one could certainly be forgiven for confusing "A Single Man" with "Solitary Man," and for that matter, "A Serious Man." "Solitary Man," for the record, is the film where Michael Douglas plays an evil businessman whose family despises him. This is not to be confused with the upcoming "Wall Street" sequel where Michael Douglas plays an evil businessman whose family despises him, but who gets along like a house on fire with protégé and apprentice numskull Shia LaBeouf.

It says an awful lot about the industry that the most intelligent movies being released today are animated films like "Alice in Wonderland" and "Toy Story 3." (The best films of the year have a "3" in their titles; the films with a "2" are horrible.) Even the animated duds—standard-issue fare like "Despicable Me" and "Shrek Forever After"—display more overall intelligence and panache than "The Back-up Plan" or "Green Zone."

Late in Game One of the recent NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Boston Celtics, Lakers superstar Kobe Bryant stared directly ahead at the action on court and refused to acknowledge the presence of Chris Rock, who had been planted right next to him by minions of an industry that has no sense of occasion. Mr. Rock, himself ensconced next to "Grown Ups" co-stars David Spade, Kevin James and Adam Sandler, repeatedly tried to get Mr. Bryant's attention, but Mr. Bryant refused to even look at him. At the time, it was theorized by sportswriters that Mr. Bryant's pointedly dissing a comic routinely described as the planet's funniest man, without any corroborating evidence for the claim, underscored the ballplayer's "focus": his utter commitment to garnering his fifth championship ring. But a more plausible explanation is this: Mr. Bryant was sitting there the whole time wondering whose idea it was to give the washed-up stars of the worst film of the year—at least until "Dinner for Schmucks"—courtside seats next to one of the greatest players to ever step onto a court.

If the technology Leonardo DiCaprio uses in "Inception" were available in real life, he could burrow deep into the subconscious of the stars and directors and producers of the film and plant this idea, for which humanity would be eternally grateful: "Please just go away. Please."

In the case of the subconscious of those responsible for "Grown Ups," Leonardo might not have to burrow that deep.
I have nothing to add to this. He absolutely nails it so well that I can't say anything to add to it.

Interesting sidebar to the column:

Today's dud can be tomorrow's classic. Here are some examples of now-beloved films that underwhelmed when they first hit the screen

Casablanca (1942)

"Casablanca" was one of many World War II-era films with patriotic themes churned out by the studios, and while Humphrey Bogart was a star and Ingrid Bergman on her way, few thought the film was that distinguishable from a host of others. The New York World-Telegram called it "not the best of the recent Bogarts." And years later Pauline Kael famously called it "specially appealing schlocky romanticism." Although it won a Best Picture Oscar, it didn't truly break from the pack until it became a college campus hit, then a TV staple. Now it's probably the most beloved, and most quoted, of all American films.

It's a Wonderful Life (1946)

With mixed reviews and a very ordinary opening, this wasn't considered a stand-out for Frank Capra or Jimmy Stewart, but two things catapulted it to ubiquity. One was Christmas and the appetites of television. The other was Republic Pictures' lapse in renewing the copyright in 1974, making the film part of the public domain for 19 years just as the home-video revolution hit, flooding stores and airwaves.

Harold and Maude (1971)

This dark Hal Ashby comedy, with Bud Cort and Ruth Gordon as a teenage boy and elderly woman caught up in a "May-December" romance, was unpopular with critics and audiences when it first opened. Roger Ebert and Vincent Canby both found its life-affirming themes annoyingly trite. But as the decade wore on, art-house theaters in big cities and college towns began showing it and it swiftly achieved counterculture cult status. Today, the American Film Institute recognizes "Harold and Maude" as one of the "funniest movies of all time."

Scarface (1983)

This drama, written by Oliver Stone and starring Al Pacino (above, with Robert Loggia), also featured a then-unknown Michelle Pfeiffer. When first released, it was considered to be yet another over-the-top Brian De Palma movie, complete with a chain saw murder and an operatic, corpse-riddled climax. The film, about a Cuban marielito refugee turned coke magnate, brought in a respectable $65.9 million world-wide but many reviews dismissed it as an overwrought bloodfest. It didn't garner a single Academy Award nomination. But two decades later, hip-hop culture adopted the film and it took new cultural flight.

The Big Lebowski (1998)

This comedy was relatively unheralded compared with other films by the Coen brothers, perhaps because it directly followed the popular "Fargo." The San Francisco Chronicle found the film "scattered, over amplified and unsatisfying" and New York magazine called Jeff Bridges's character a "sad-sack hero." It brought in a lowly $17.5 million at the box office. But word of mouth and home video jump-started it among slacker fans a few years later, and The Dude has continued to abide ever since.
—Lauren Fedor

Paul MacLean

Re: WSJ OP-ED: "2010: Worst movie year ever?"

#2 Post by Paul MacLean »

The problem is Hollywood studios think audiences will go for stale ideas simply by dressing them up in 3-D. Likewise they're trying to keep sales of older movies alive with Blu-ray, but I'm sorry to say that format still has yet to deliver (once again, why are Catwoman and The Postman available on Blu-ray, but not Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Lawrence of Arabia?)

As far as the sidebar listing "classics" which were unrecognized in their time, I essentially agree about Casablanca and It's A Wonderful Life (though more for their story and characters than actual cinematic artistry). But Harold and Maude is to me a weird, creepy movie, which very few people remember today. And I've always found Scarface a grotesque, overwrought waste of time, with no appeal to anyone more mature than an 18-year-old.

Eric W.

Re: WSJ OP-ED: "2010: Worst movie year ever?"

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:The problem is Hollywood studios think audiences will go for stale ideas simply by dressing them up in 3-D. Likewise they're trying to keep sales of older movies alive with Blu-ray, but I'm sorry to say that format still has yet to deliver (once again, why are Catwoman and The Postman available on Blu-ray, but not Star Wars, Indiana Jones or Lawrence of Arabia?)

As far as the sidebar listing "classics" which were unrecognized in their time, I essentially agree about Casablanca and It's A Wonderful Life (though more for their story and characters than actual cinematic artistry). But Harold and Maude is to me a weird, creepy movie, which very few people remember today. And I've always found Scarface a grotesque, overwrought waste of time, with no appeal to anyone more mature than an 18-year-old.

Here's the other side of the coin. Hollywood knows their audiences all too well if this is anything to go by: http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20406056,00.html

Be warned: Your IQ will drop several points and your blood pressure will increase as you read some of that drivel.

No wonder it's all gone to pot.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

On a side note I watched the South Park where Lucas and Spielberg raped Indiana Jones.

One of the funniest things I've seen, ever!

Good article for the most part.

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
What's the problem? ;)

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:
What's the problem? ;)
I didn't think SCARFACE was too hot myself. :)

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:
Eric W. wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:
What's the problem? ;)
I didn't think SCARFACE was too hot myself. :)

I'm not super big on it myself. ;)

mkaroly

#8 Post by mkaroly »

Great article...I don't go to movies nowadays because outside of INCEPTION (and hopefully THE EXPENDABLES) nothing seems to be interesting or entertaining. There is too much editiing, not enough acting or character development, dumb stories, and the film scores are so painfully bad that it hurts to hear them coming through the speakers.

I'm sure the youth of this generation will look back on this time as grown-ups (much like I'm sure we all do during our respective times of growing-up) with great nostalgia at how "great" the films were when they were growing up. For me, movies started getting less and less watchable around the turn of the century (for the most part)...the 70s, 80s, and maybe half of the 90s (generally speaking) were full of great films that I can still watch today and enjoy. Aside from a few movies here and there, I can't say the same thing about films now. Bummer.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm sure the youth of this generation will look back on this time as grown-ups (much like I'm sure we all do during our respective times of growing-up) with great nostalgia at how "great" the films were when they were growing up.
I really doubt that's going to happen Michael to a widespread degree, I really do. These films today, critically, are being rated much lower than the films of 10, 20, 30 years ago. Go back through any summer in the 1980s and you'll find some great movies by the dozen being released -- that's not the case these days. Sure there are bad movies of every time frame, but even the bad ones from 20 years ago are much better than bad movies of today. At least the bad ones from the '80s are watchable for the most part.

Is anyone going to remember PRINCE OF PERSIA, SORCERER'S APPRENTICE, THE A-TEAM, PREDATORS, KNIGHT AND DAY, SEX AND THE CITY 2, IRON MAN 2 (big hit but mediocre), SHREK 4, GROWN UPS, LAST AIRBENDER, TWILIGHT PART 3, CATS AND DOGS 2, CHARLIE ST. CLOUD, RAMONA AND BEEZUS, ROBIN HOOD, KILLERS, MARMADUKE, and on and on months from now -- much less years from now? (Talk about a rotten list! The "good ones" are INCEPTION, the third TOY STORY movie and a remake of THE KARATE KID. Not exactly ready for the hall of fame there!).

It all goes down to movies being products now. It started in the late '70s and '80s -- the big studios began churning out more and more "products," but at least those films still had directors who knew how to make a film with their own style a lot of the times. What critics used to carp about back in the '80s in terms of "impersonal filmmaking" has only intensified immeasurably.

These days other than a few guys most big studio films are made by hacks who do what the test audiences, focus groups and large corporations want. It's marginalized everything and made it all just incredibly boring. Most films I see are like 2 hour trailers with as much substance and character development, produced for teenagers with ADD.

I really do agree this could be one of the worst years for movies, EVER. It's been a total disaster with the exceptions countable on one hand (and most of those CGI animated movies aimed at kids), if that.

What saddens me as much is the fall used to be a haven for "adult" movies. Now we get SAW VII instead. :(

Eric W.

#10 Post by Eric W. »

Dinner for Schmucks makes it to number 1 in the box office this week. 'Nuff said.

Paul MacLean

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

1982 alone saw the release of:

Poltergeist
Star Trek II
The Thing
ET
Blade Runner
Tron
The Secret of NIMH
The Road Warrior
48 Hrs.
First Blood
The Dark Crystal

Most of these movies were extremely popular at the time of their release with audiences of all ages (Blade Runner being an exception -- though it would win acclaim over time).

Critics of course reserved their highest praise for "serious" films released that year -- Missing, Sophie's Choice, Ghandi, etc. (which, ironically, are not very well-remembered today) -- but many of the summer and/or "escapist" flicks I mentioned above did get good critical notices too.

Quite different from today.