Elizabeth McGovern & Actresses Whose Careers Died

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: Elizabeth McGovern & Actresses Whose Careers Died

#46 Post by Monterey Jack »

Watching Unforgettable again this morning (the underrated 1996 Ray Liotta/John Dahl thriller, not the more recent Beyoncé catfight movie) made me wonder...what the hell happened to Linda Fiorentino?

Gorgeous, charismatic and talented, and yet she's appeared in a grand total of five movies since the year 2000, the last two of which went direct-to-DVD. :? And she was the female lead in Men In Black, for God's sake! You'd think that would have been her "in" for larger studio leading lady roles, but she just vanished for no apparent reason. Shame.

AndyDursin

#47 Post by AndyDursin »

She was a massive pain in the ass from what's been written over the years. Terrible attitude, hard to work with, etc. Allegedly Tommy Lee Jones wasn't going to come back on MEN IN BLACK II if she returned -- that was the rumor anyway. Kevin Smith later came out and said she was difficult on DOGMA and hated working with her. So stuff along those lines.

Had to have been bad, because MEN IN BLACK was structured specifically for her, setting her up to return as a lead in the sequel.

Monterey Jack

#48 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:56 am She was a massive pain in the ass from what's been written over the years. Terrible attitude, hard to work with, etc. Allegedly Tommy Lee Jones wasn't going to come back on MEN IN BLACK II if she returned -- that was the rumor anyway. Kevin Smith later came out and said she was difficult on DOGMA and hated working with her. So stuff along those lines.

This might be the reason why Frank Darabont hasn't directed a big-screen movie since The Mist...dude's supposedly notoriously combative. Either way, I've missed seeing Fiorentino in movies for the last 20 years. :cry:
Had to have been bad, because MEN IN BLACK was structured specifically for her, setting her up to return as a lead in the sequel.
One of my biggest sequel cliché hates...when the hero hooks up with the female lead in the first (or is well on the way to doing so), and yet when the sequel rolls around, they give her an off-screen exit between films with a curt, throwaway explanation as to her absence (like Elisabeth Shue in The Karate Kid II). With Fiorentino in MIBII, I guess she was axed due to pressure from Jones, but I wonder if it doesn't happen most often just because the male lead considers it a "perk" to get cast opposite a new, sexy (and probably younger) actress in each new sequel (the "Bond Girl Rule", as it were). Karen Allen was originally supposed to return as Marion in a potential Raiders sequel, but we saw where that went (and it's noteworthy that Allison Doody was at least half Harrison Ford's age in Last Crusade, which made his chiding of Sean Connery for boffing her with the line, "It's shameful, Dad, you're old enough to be her, her grandfather!" awfully hypocritical).

AndyDursin

#49 Post by AndyDursin »

Certainly a mystery. She walked away basically altogether not long thereafter. Also shows how phony this progressive-feminist bullshit is today with people making a big deal of the casting in MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL -- they were all set to do it 20 years ago in that franchise!

Monterey Jack

#50 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:18 amAlso shows how phony this progressive-feminist bullshit is today with people making a big deal of the casting in MEN IN BLACK INTERNATIONAL -- they were all set to do it 20 years ago in that franchise!
We're allowed to swear now...? :D

Anyways, every time I hear grousing about how "they" (whether the "they" in question are women or minorities) are getting cast in the latest sequel or reboot of an aging/nostalgic franchise, it makes you realize how most people's cultural knowledge only extends back to 2015. :roll: You'd think that no women, EVER, had played strong action hero roles prior to Wonder Woman or the "all-girls" Ghostbusters reboot, considering how actresses like Brie Larson make absurd claims how they're "blazing trails" with something as mercenary and forgettable as Captain Marvel, or how Disney made it seem like Black Panther was the first superhero movie ever with African-American leads, completely ignoring a whole TRILOGY of Blade movies with Wesley Snipes.

As for "kick-ass" female action heroes, does no one remember Sarah Connor, or Ellen Ripley, or the Bride? Oh, that's right, movies didn't exist prior to the year 2000.

Monterey Jack

#51 Post by Monterey Jack »

Finn Carter, super-cute and appealing in Tremors, and barely a noteworthy acting credit since. :?

AndyDursin

#52 Post by AndyDursin »

She's been up to something alright...no good! :shock:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/cou ... s-1815074/

Monterey Jack

#53 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:45 pm She's been up to something alright...no good! :shock:
Yeah, I heard about that. Shame. :(

Monterey Jack

#54 Post by Monterey Jack »

Madeline Stowe:

Not only ravishingly beautiful, but also a fiercely talented actress, yet has had a grand total of FOUR big-screen acting roles in the last twenty years. :cry: She had a pretty great run in the late 80s and early 90s, taking roles that could have been merely decorative sexpots or damsels in distress and giving them far more dramatic heft they would have had otherwise. Watched China Moon again tonight from my recent Kino binge, and while it's not a "great" film (it owes far too much to the superior Body Heat), Stowe is certainly a dame worth killing for in that. :)

Monterey Jack

#55 Post by Monterey Jack »

Leelee Sobieski, super-attractive and a talented actress in the early 2000s, but all of three acting credits since 2010. :(

AndyDursin

#56 Post by AndyDursin »

I liked her too, but she wanted to have kids and didn't want to work in that world anymore. I definitely respect that decision. Few people are able to stay in that universe and have a healthy family life, especially out in L.A.
In 2016, Sobieski confirmed "I don't do movie stuff anymore." Commenting on the reasons for her early retirement to Us Weekly, Sobieski said, "I am just focused on my kids. I think that's mainly why I stopped ... Also, ninety percent of acting roles involve so much sexual stuff with other people, and I don't want to do that."

Paul MacLean

#57 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:21 pm I liked her too, but she wanted to have kids and didn't want to work in that world anymore. I definitely respect that decision. Few people are able to stay in that universe and have a healthy family life, especially out in L.A.
For all the pretensions of Eon productions, the "cancellation" of lecherous men (and prosecution of Harvey Weinstein) Hollywood is still a misogynistic boys club -- with few good roles for women, and where actresses are put out to pasture at age 30 (unless they want to platy "the mom" on a sitcom).

AndyDursin

#58 Post by AndyDursin »

Exactly. What roles did she miss out on? LAW & ORDER guest appearances? The wife of some super-hero? She stayed long enough to make money off being a young actress, then called it a career. I'm sure for her it was a far more gratifying decision than continuing to perform mostly thankless roles nobody really would care about.

Monterey Jack

#59 Post by Monterey Jack »

It is noteworthy how many actresses opt out of the business citing the "start a family" thing, but actors rarely do, even if they have half-a-dozen kids running around. It's probably sexism, as actresses get stuck in "mom roles" when they hit forty, whereas dudes get cast in romantic lead roles opposite attractive actresses decades younger all the time. :? Twenty years ago, Catherine Zeta Jones was a highly-prized "get" for any movie production, but now that she's in her fifties, Hollywood's basically done with her.

It's one thing I like about Elisabeth Shue...she's never stopped working despite motherhood or getting her master's degree or taking up archery or whatever. And she still looks fab. :)

Monterey Jack

#60 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eva Mendes...

...seemed to be a comer in the early 2000s, often cast opposite some of the biggest leads of the period (Will Smith, Nicolas Cage, Joaquin Phoenix), knuckle-gnawingly gorgeous and charismatic...and hasn't acted in a movie since 2014 since she settled down with Ryan Gosling to raise a family. :( She still looks fab even now, so I miss seeing her in movies.