HIGHLANDER I & II on Lionsgate Blu-Ray 11/2

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

HIGHLANDER I & II on Lionsgate Blu-Ray 11/2

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Highlander 2 Blu-ray Disc

Experience the action of an immortal's journey through time and space like never before with Highlander and Highlander 2, each coming to individual 1080P High Definition Blu-ray Disc for the first time ever! The explosive beginning to one of the most popular film franchises of all time blasts onto Blu-ray packed with special features including deleted scenes from each film. The Highlander Blu-ray features the director's cut of the film and audio commentary with director Russell Mulcahy and producers Peter S. Davis and William N. Panzer, while the Highlander 2 disc adds enhanced and re-imagined visual effects, four featurettes, an alternate ending , the original Cannes film festival promotion reel, an alternate ending and the original theatrical trailer.

Highlander

One of the most beloved sci-fi action-adventure series in film and TV history, Highlander is an epic tale of immortality starring Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery. When Scottish clansman Connor MacLeod (Lambert) discovers his true identity as part of a legion of immortals, his journey spans the world and centuries before finally landing him in modern day New York. MacLeod is unfortunately set to face other immortals in a showdown where only one can survive. Featuring music by the legendary band Queen, Highlander is a modern classic and "A truly heroic stomp through time and space" (BBC).

Highlander 2

It's 2024 and MacLeod and Ramirez are back to save planet Earth. Ozone depletion, time travel and corporate greed are at the core of all the thrilling twists and turns in this stylish action sequel.

Pricing: Blu-ray $19.99 each

AndyDursin

Re: HIGHLANDER I & II on Lionsgate Blu-Ray 11/2

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Note the supplements on HIGHLANDER I are different than the Studio Canal import BD that had its own featurettes and a different commentary.

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Featuring music by the legendary band Queen, Highlander is a modern classic and "A truly heroic stomp through time and space" (BBC).
When I first saw this film I thought it was a mixed bag -- great score and visuals but excessively silly with ill-fitting songs

As time has gone I've come to regard this film as something of a classic. I find the story much more compelling than I used to, and even think Queen's songs work extremely well (even "Who Wants to Live Forever", despite its arguably anachronistic placement).

Russell Mulcahy and Gerry Fisher beautifully captured the raw, epic beauty of Scottish highlands in a way that Braveheart did not (no offense to Mel Gibson) and Michael Kamen's score is the best he ever wrote. Its also refreshingly different from the Hollywood films made at the time (and even since) being the work of a first-time screenwriter, an Australian director and New York producers. Sure, some scenes are still silly but that's part of the charm of Highlander (certainly that it preferable to the grim seriousness of genre pictures made today).

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Both are up for pre-ordering, $13.99 on Amazon.

Good chance both will drop eventually too under $10.