TITANIC - 4 discs in Europe

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

TITANIC - 4 discs in Europe

#1 Post by romanD »

hi there... suprisingly the European DVD-set of TITANIC DOES include a 4th DVD... that is really strange, why did they do that?... checkit out:

http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58435

hm, Korea has that one probably too, maybe in a really lush set??? does anyone know?

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Isn't the 4-DVD set just the same 3-DVD set that's available in the US, but with the extra disc being the soundtrack album?

I thought I read there would be no differences in terms of supplements between the different sets.

EDIT: Thanks for the link Roman. Well I'm not going to plunk down another $1 for the HBO special...think I'll pass on that :) Otherwise it looks pretty much the same deal.

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Isn't the 4-DVD set just the same 3-DVD set that's available in the US, but with the extra disc being the soundtrack album?

I thought I read there would be no differences in terms of supplements between the different sets.

EDIT: Thanks for the link Roman. Well I'm not going to plunk down another $1 for the HBO special...think I'll pass on that :) Otherwise it looks pretty much the same deal.
I like this. I'm seeing more attempts to have soundtrack CD's put in with their respective DVD's and I'm all for it.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Q-BanditZ wrote:I like this. I'm seeing more attempts to have soundtrack CD's put in with their respective DVD's and I'm all for it.

Ugh, not me. :evil: I hated the fact that I was forced to buy Clint Eastwood's collosally boring score CD to Mystic River just to get the extras on the 3-disc set. And it would have been nice to have John Williams' score as a bonus on the SE of The Terminal...if I hadn't already bought it months beforehand. :roll: This is a trend I strongly dislike

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
Q-BanditZ wrote:I like this. I'm seeing more attempts to have soundtrack CD's put in with their respective DVD's and I'm all for it.

Ugh, not me. :evil: I hated the fact that I was forced to buy Clint Eastwood's collosally boring score CD to Mystic River just to get the extras on the 3-disc set. And it would have been nice to have John Williams' score as a bonus on the SE of The Terminal...if I hadn't already bought it months beforehand. :roll: This is a trend I strongly dislike
I picked up a Korean 3-disc set of Besson's THE BIG BLUE (just for the heck of it), and it had a soundtrack *DVD*, with each track of Serra's score set to a photo montage.

Of course, I picked up the set thinking it had both the Extended European version AND the U.S. theatrical version......which in the latter's case it DID, but not with Bill Conti's score! It actually had Serra's music in its re-edited form, even in that version.

Bill Williams

#6 Post by Bill Williams »

Isn't the 4-DVD set just the same 3-DVD set that's available in the US, but with the extra disc being the soundtrack album?
Actually, Andy, the 4th disc contains the 30-minute HBO program "The Making of Titanic", a gallery of preview trailers, and three "Titanic" parodies: the Saturday Night Live parody featuring Bill Paxton; the MTV Movie Awards parody featuring Ben Stiller, Vince Vaughn, and James Cameron; and "Titanic in 30 Seconds with Bunnies".

All three of the parodies are on the third disc of the U.S. set as hidden Easter egg features. The content on the HBO program is basically re-edited from the bonus content on the main DVD, though it does have an interesting outtake clip not featured on the deleted scenes section, a clip of young Rose looking at the broken mirror.

I'm really surprised that the trailers were not included on the 3-disc DVD set. Did anyone manage to pick up the 4-disc overseas set?
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

romanD

#7 Post by romanD »

I got it of course. Do you want to know anything specific?

the trailers are good, though that 8 minute trailer is basically the whole movie! lol

overall Im a bit disappointed with it, the features fair pretty weakly compared to the ones on LOTR for example...

however, it wasn't expensive, so it's ok, but for the most successful movie ever you could expect some more decent features I guess. Whatever, if they ever release another SE I certainly won't buy that.

but just to add a comment about the KING KONG DVDs: I think that is absolutely insulting to try to sell the internet featurettes and add as another feature the making of for a car commercial??? who needs that?! They should pay money for including such things!

I know many love PJ and his LOTR EE boxes, but here he clearly tries to get as much money for nothing out of his fans' pockets!

First I thought: Ok, they sell the internet diaries, which is fine, as maybe some people want to have those, but then they put only half of the diaries on the 2 discs and don't really say that? And the other half of the diaries are on the SE of King Kong?!? They may be cute, but hardly pass as serious making ofs for such a movie!
And I guess the diary with Howard Shore has been omitted now, hasnt it?

Im really upset about that and just bought the DVD for 80 cents in China! At least they don't rip me off over there! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Bill Williams

#8 Post by Bill Williams »

romanD, I just sent you a PM. :)
I have in my heart what it takes to run with the big dogs in this life, and nobody can say otherwise.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

romanD wrote:however, it wasn't expensive, so it's ok, but for the most successful movie ever you could expect some more decent features I guess. Whatever, if they ever release another SE I certainly won't buy that.
What Roman is saying is kind of what I meant Bill. I just don't consider those extras as really being significant -- the trailers being most important element, but most of what else is on there is fairly disposable IMO. The SNL skits, etc. feel more like "Easter egg" kind of material than something warranting another disc altogether, though if you're a major fan I can certainly understand picking it up for completion's sake :)