EASY A and THE TOWN - Good Movies FINALLY Opening Friday

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

EASY A and THE TOWN - Good Movies FINALLY Opening Friday

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Figures we go weeks with no good movies and then two of them open on the same day -- in fact BOTH are two of the better reviewed films of the entire year. Thus, I'm kind of torn as to which film to see tomorrow --

EASY A with Emma Stone (easy on the eyes) in a movie being heralded as the next CLUELESS/MEAN GIRLS teen movie classic. Excellent reviews -- over 80% fresh on the Tomato Meter, with actual name critics loving it -- and most all of them cite Stone as giving a phenomenal performance about a girl who lies about "being easy" to improve her social status. Sounds like fun...

THE TOWN - Ben Affleck's latest, a bank-robbery thriller/Boston character drama with Affleck, Jeremy Renner and Jon Hamm. Love the cast, more great reviews pouring in (over 90% on the Tomato Meter) with many calling it one of the year's best.

Obviously I'll see them both but I may have to go with EASY A since a) I like Emma Stone and b) I'm in the mood for a good time after a lousy summer at the movies. Will probably check out THE TOWN on Tuesday.

Either way good to see SOMETHING decent out there :)

Monterey Jack

Re: EASY A and THE TOWN - Good Movies FINALLY Opening Friday

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I loved Affleck's Gone Baby Gone, but I wish he weren't acting in The Town. :? The last time Affleck starred in action movies was back in Daredevil and Paycheck. :shock: Easy A looks funny, and with the added benefit of cutie-pie Emma Stone. :D

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:I loved Affleck's Gone Baby Gone, but I wish he weren't acting in The Town. :? The last time Affleck starred in action movies was back in Daredevil and Paycheck. :shock: Easy A looks funny, and with the added benefit of cutie-pie Emma Stone. :D
I hear you, but everyone says his performance is good though -- very good. I've liked him in the right role, but his tendency used to be to go for this smug kind of performance not unlike what Clooney typically does. If he can use some restraint (think he did here, at least it sounds it) I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. GONE BABY GONE -- wasn't as crazy about it as everyone else, but my main hang-up was with the story, not the filmmaking or performances (which were excellent).

Either way, I think EASY A is the choice tonight. I feel like watching something upbeat.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

EASY A was terrific as expected. Smart writing, big laughs, Stanley Tucci and Patricia Clarkson were hilarious -- you know it's inspired when even the credits unfold in an interesting manner. Loved Emma Stone too, though I wish she wasn't so thin. :)

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

I opted for The Town (for some reason, I rarely see comedies at the theater :?), and was suitably impressed. It treads on some very familiar crime thriller grounds, yet it's superbly-directed, with ace action sequences and fine performances from the entire cast (yes, even Affleck :shock: ). Here's hoping Affleck will continue honing his directing craft.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

TOWN did really well. I laughed when Nikki Finke wrote they "tried to sell it as THE DEPARTED 2," which they did. Maybe we'll have a new sub-genre of Boston crime movies now.

I'll get out to see it this week or next.