LAST OF THE MOHICANS New Cut - The Theatrical Version Reborn

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

LAST OF THE MOHICANS New Cut - The Theatrical Version Reborn

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Robert George mentioned in the Blu-Ray.com forums that the new LAST OF THE MOHICANS "Definitive Director's Cut" Blu-Ray restores Clannad's song back into the movie -- but the lyrics aren't in English this time, but apparently a combination of Cherokee/Mohican or thereabouts. Clannad must have recorded it both ways. Either way, I can understand restoring the music in this case because the tempo/energy of the song matched with the visuals was missing from the "director's cut" which had removed it.

This isn't supposed to street until next week but apparently some Best Buy stores already have it in-stock.

John Johnson

Re: Clannad Song Back in MOHICANS Blu-Ray -- Kind Of

#2 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Robert George mentioned in the Blu-Ray.com forums that the new LAST OF THE MOHICANS "Definitive Director's Cut" Blu-Ray restores Clannad's song back into the movie -- but the lyrics aren't in English this time, but apparently a combination of Cherokee/Mohican or thereabouts. Clannad must have recorded it both ways. Either way, I can understand restoring the music in this case because the tempo/energy of the song matched with the visuals was missing from the "director's cut" which had removed it.

This isn't supposed to street until next week but apparently some Best Buy stores already have it in-stock.
Yes. My local Best Buy has it stock.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Can Michael Mann PLEASE leave his goddamn movies alone?! :? It's bad enough he uses those GHASTLY DV cameras on all his movies now, but he keeps endlessly tinkering with his older films, to little if no positive effect.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

I would've been happy with the theatrical version. His Director's Cut omitted a fair amount of dialogue -- wonder what's been restored/additional tinkered with here.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

That additional dialogue at the very end of the movie (added to the Director's Cut) has apparently been taken out -- which is fine with me, I hated how the film turned preachy when it wasn't a movie that needed to have its sentiments articulated that obviously.

So it sounds very much that Mann reinstated most of the theatrical-version dialogue he (inexplicably) eliminated from the Directors Cut, and also went back to how the theatrical version worked with the Clannad song and how the fight sequence was edited (there was slo-mo in the director's cut -- not anymore, he changed it back again).

Makes you wonder why he ever changed this stuff to begin with -- but it sounds like he got it right this time. Whew!