Beauty & the Beast Blu - Ray, disappointed

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
andy b

Beauty & the Beast Blu - Ray, disappointed

#1 Post by andy b »

So being a Disney nut & a complete sap for their double dipping campaigns & 'up grades' I bought the Blu Ray to B & B.

The clean up is wonderful & the colours truly are vibrant. Image & sound really great.

BUT 1 of the joys of the original release was the Working Print that was originally on the old laser disc. Sadly on the new edition it is only picture in picture, hardly watchable to the theatrical version!

So beware before dumpping your old standard version, if your after the work print, you need to keep your old version of B & B.

Hate it when these companies mess about from release to release, drop things, Universal it always seems to be trailers or edit original documentaries, drives me nuts.

regards
Andy B

Eric W.

Re: Beauty & the Beast Blu - Ray, disappointed

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Couldn't disagree with you more. To me another 5 star effort from Disney, clearly the best BD studio.

No offense, I think you're nitpicking a little bit.

If you go on a forum like this and see threads like these:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... 282&page=4

and especially these kinds of threads:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1281212

^^ These guys are a tough crowd to please. I couldn't have been more blown away by it, especially considering we're talking about 20 year old source material.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I know you're in a very small minority with it. :)

In fact, I'll say you're the very person I've run across anywhere expressing anything shy of the praise that, IMO, this thing rightfully deserves.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Andy -- that's a valid point. The previous releases had that ability, I should have mentioned it in my review that there's no way to watch it other than picture-in-picture.

While it's not something I typically watch, you're quite right that if you want to see the workprint version, you can't really do it in this package.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:Andy -- that's a valid point. The previous releases had that ability, I should have mentioned it in my review that there's no way to watch it other than picture-in-picture.

While it's not something I typically watch, you're quite right that if you want to see the workprint version, you can't really do it in this package.
I understand that disappointment about that feature missing.

I was just so blown away watching this with my family last night. Heck, it was kind of emotional. I hadn't seen the thing in a number of years. ;)

andy b

#5 Post by andy b »

I have no disagreement with the outstanding copies of the extended or theatrical version.

It is just that I worked on this right from when we got the word from Disney it was coming & then began to assemble trailers ready for the European release. For us in distribution when it was decided to release the work print & then a copy landed in Europe for us to see what was going to become clearly a land mark Disney movie, the Work Print is possibly more interest to me, than others who & I understand just want the finished feature.

I just enjoy seeing the whole process, it is from a most rewarding part of my work life & I enjoy seeing the whole feature from bare bones to the final glory.

Therefore the missing work print is a disappointment & in my opinion Disney should of made it clear what they have done on the packaging rather than stating '3 versions of the film' hardly, 2 versions yes & magnificently represented & the 1 version that is a wasted oppotunity.

Just my opinion on this release. I have both & will keep both, heck it's just another box on the shelf!

regards
Andy B

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

andy b wrote:I have no disagreement with the outstanding copies of the extended or theatrical version.

It is just that I worked on this right from when we got the word from Disney it was coming & then began to assemble trailers ready for the European release. For us in distribution when it was decided to release the work print & then a copy landed in Europe for us to see what was going to become clearly a land mark Disney movie, the Work Print is possibly more interest to me, than others who & I understand just want the finished feature.

I just enjoy seeing the whole process, it is from a most rewarding part of my work life & I enjoy seeing the whole feature from bare bones to the final glory.

Therefore the missing work print is a disappointment & in my opinion Disney should of made it clear what they have done on the packaging rather than stating '3 versions of the film' hardly, 2 versions yes & magnificently represented & the 1 version that is a wasted oppotunity.

Just my opinion on this release. I have both & will keep both, heck it's just another box on the shelf!

regards
Andy B
I understand. :)

It does seem like an odd little omission, especially considering how much content you can put on a BD disc to begin with.