ALIEN ANTHOLOGY Has Arrived!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
mkaroly

Re: ALIEN ANTHOLOGY Has Arrived!

#31 Post by mkaroly »

My set has arrived....gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous. Unfortunately I can't watch it yet since I don't have a player. First I have to take care of a roof water leak (and pay professionals to fix it), then I can stalk a TV and BR DVD player. I watched the entire Anthology on regular DVD and I'm going to do it again with the BR...and savor every single minute!!!! :D

The CE3K BR DVD....the Ultimate 30th Anniversary edition has everything on two discs that the regular set had on three discs? I'll also spend money this Christmas on Seven Samurai BR and that will be teh extent of my library for now. The Alien set is going to keep me very busy!

John Johnson

#32 Post by John Johnson »

My local Best Buy is selling it for $94.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

Best price right now is Newegg for $79 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 4543702160

John Johnson

#34 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote:Best price right now is Newegg for $79 shipped.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 4543702160
Never heard of them. Are they any good?

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Definitely. Newegg is one of the best, most trusted online retailers, bar none. I've bought a HDTV, audio receiver, and countless parts for my PC from them -- blank media, external hard drives, RAM, DVD drives, etc. -- over many years. (They've basically been the only place to go for computer parts online).

In fact I just ordered a new Yamaha 765 audio receiver from them ($299 shipped, originally went for $600) and it came in 48 hours (helps they're near me though! NJ to RI doesn't take long).

They ship incredibly fast, and their customer service is exceptional.

Would not hesitate to order this from them :) If it's not in stock it will say it.

Eric W.

#36 Post by Eric W. »

The 'Egg has always treated me well. :)

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric W. wrote:The 'Egg has always treated me well. :)
Love the egg too. lol.

They've only recently started doing a real push with media (BDs,DVDs,games) and there are some deals to be had, though they typically do not last long.

I believe they have the BTTF box-set for $42 right now as well.

John Johnson

#38 Post by John Johnson »

French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of Alien Resurrection, has revealed on his personal blog that, unlike Ridley Scott for Alien and James Cameron for Aliens, he wasn't invited to supervise the remastering of his movie, included in the Alien Anthology Blu-ray. Jeunet has said that the BD of the fourth Alien installment has the picture quality of "a very mediocre DVD."

Jeunet sarcastically cites the tagline for the new box set: "On Blu-ray, everybody will hear you scream" only to add: "They got that right - scream with rage!"

On the other hand, Jeunet did supervise the remaster for the Blu-ray release of his first film, Delicatessen. He said that most of the sequences have been "de-grained," removing almost all the grain. He explains that there is some grain left "on some shots filmed on 400 ASA stock, and that would become too soft if we de-grained them more. The colors are like we had always wanted, and the result is, albeit imperfect, amazing if we compare it with what we were working from."

The City of Lost Children is expected to come out on Blu-ray this year, released by StudioCanal.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5481

mkaroly

#39 Post by mkaroly »

John Johnson wrote:French filmmaker Jean-Pierre Jeunet, director of Alien Resurrection, has revealed on his personal blog that, unlike Ridley Scott for Alien and James Cameron for Aliens, he wasn't invited to supervise the remastering of his movie, included in the Alien Anthology Blu-ray. Jeunet has said that the BD of the fourth Alien installment has the picture quality of "a very mediocre DVD."

Jeunet sarcastically cites the tagline for the new box set: "On Blu-ray, everybody will hear you scream" only to add: "They got that right - scream with rage!"
It honestly wouldn't matter if he got to remaster it- clear or fuzzy, it's still an abominably bad movie and the worst of the series (IMO). I'll take the stupidities of AVP and AVP:R over Alien:Resurrection any day. Awful film.

AndyDursin

#40 Post by AndyDursin »

Jeunet has no credibility when it comes to this movie. The BD looks fine -- it's his cinematography that's the problem lol.