Gamera - Blu-Ray Double Feature $5!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Gamera - Blu-Ray Double Feature $5!

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Great price for these terrific '90s GAMERA remakes -- pretty much regarded as the best of the more recent Japanese monster remakes.

The transfers are decent AVC encodes, 1080p, with DTS-HD audio and subtitles.

For $5 you can't beat it!

Monterey Jack

Re: Gamera - Blu-Ray Double Feature $5!

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Gamera is really neat! He is filled with turtle meat! :lol:

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

I'm still annoyed that Shout! released only the original 60s Japanese version of "Gamera The Invincible" but not the US cut which frankly is a better watch with the additional scenes of Brian Donlevey etc. Fortunately I had the old VHS widescreen release and got a good DVD-R transfer of that.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I'm still annoyed that Shout! released only the original 60s Japanese version of "Gamera The Invincible" but not the US cut which frankly is a better watch with the additional scenes of Brian Donlevey etc.
From what I understood, UCLA has the negative to the US "Gamera" sitting in their vaults and was holding it hostage, demanding far too much money than Shout was willing to pay. So I can't really blame them, given the economic realities of how many copies they were likely to sell of this release.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Okay, I ordered the Gamera two-fer. I try not to blind-buy so much any more, but that price for two rubber-suit Japanese monster movies in high-def was too good to resist. 8)

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Okay, I ordered the Gamera two-fer. I try not to blind-buy so much any more, but that price for two rubber-suit Japanese monster movies in high-def was too good to resist. 8)
These are actually pretty good too. Critically acclaimed (I kid you not!) as the best of the "modern" Japanese monster movies by a wide margin.

Transfers are nice. For $5 it's a steal :)

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Isn't Steven Seagal's daughter in one of them...? :shock:

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

Watched both films today, and was really quite impressed. The Gamera films of the 60's and 70's are pretty silly stuff (rightfully relegated to MST3K mockery), but these two are beautifully produced, with excellent special effects and a minimum of cutesy anthropomorphic shenanigans from the monsters. I was distracted in the second film when the military started to mobilize to the tune of a badly-disguised rip-off of Jerry Goldsmith's Total Recall main title. :shock: