Amazon Black Friday Deals

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Amazon Black Friday Deals

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Loads of discs have been discounted today at Amazon...check Blu-Ray.com's Black Friday tool (best thing I've seen) for the latest deals:

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/

AndyDursin

Re: Amazon Deals - $5-$10 Blu-Rays, Alien $69

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

EDITED

AndyDursin

Re: Amazon Black Friday Deals

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

OUTLANDER is $5

Well worth that price :)

Check out the latest drops here...some great prices:

http://www.blu-ray.com/deals/

mkaroly

#4 Post by mkaroly »

I was over at Amazon and looking at the different Kurosawa BR "deals" they had....has anyone (like maybe Paul? Andy?) seen the StudioCanal BR of RAN? If so, thoughts? I was thinking of purchasing it but I kind of want to wait and see if Criterion puts out a BR of RAN. I noticed they had several Kurosawa movies on BR, which is bad for my pocketbook because I really like his films.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

There isn't going to be a Criterion BD of RAN, unfortunately, and the one that's available isn't worth it unless it's under $10 IMO. Studio Canal owns the movie and the current master they have provided over the last few years to every international market is the same, and it has its problems -- what's worse, the HD version of it looks like upconverted standard def. The Lionsgate Blu-Ray was sourced from the same Studio Canal master -- and it's the same master Criterion released on DVD too! So not only would I not recommend it (unless it's dirt cheap, as it only provides minimal gains over DVD), but I'd hold no hope of Criterion releasing it on Blu-Ray, not for the forseeable future, because it's Studio Canal's title and all the Studio Canal titles Criterion released are out of print or will be. The pipeline between them has been severed since Studio Canal wants to release their titles themselves (this extends to movies like THE THIRD MAN).

The good news is all the other Criterion titles from Kurosawa films are brilliant since they're Toho owned. SEVEN SAMURAI, YOJIMBO/SANJURO look fantastic. However, you just missed the best deal on those Michael -- the 50% off Criterion sale at Barnes & Noble -- which runs twice a year (mid summer and November), so I'd probably hold out for the best price on those when the time comes, unless you can find a sale elsewhere.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Thanks for the information Andy! I can wait on the films that are available because I have my hands full with the ALIEN set and CE3K set.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

You got it Michael! :)

The Criterion Blu-Ray sale at BN.com is worth waiting for...everything is 50% off...so I'd save up for the next round in the summer time.