LEGEND Blu-Ray Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: LEGEND Blu-Ray - Looks Like It's Coming in May

#31 Post by Monterey Jack »

God, Teal & Orange AGAIN?! :(

Paul MacLean

#32 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:$18.99 now on Amazon...if you're going to pre-order I would do so because the price is likely to bounce around a bit.

Artwork DOES appear final.

I hate to use that now-tired cliche, but...ordered.

AndyDursin

#33 Post by AndyDursin »

Paul I thought you were going to use BULLSEYE! lol.

Looks like it's on a single disc, which is not necessarily a bad thing...you can easily put a 2-hour film and a 90-minute one on 1 Blu Ray 50GB disc with no issue; even then there will be plenty of room left over for the extras in standard-def, which I assume they will be.

Paul MacLean

#34 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Paul I thought you were going to use BULLSEYE! lol.
"Gorgeous photography by Alex Thomson, exquistite art direction by Assheton Gorton. Ridley Scott directs! BULLSEYE!"

:mrgreen:

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

If anyone wants to see read amusing stuff, on the AVS Forum thread about this title 3/4 of the posters all say Goldsmith's score sucks and that Tangerine Dream's score is better. Then in a thread about THE SHADOW, one of them says they love Goldsmith's score.

As always, there is no accounting for taste! :lol:

Eric W.

#36 Post by Eric W. »

AndyDursin wrote:If anyone wants to see read amusing stuff, on the AVS Forum thread about this title 3/4 of the posters all say Goldsmith's score sucks and that Tangerine Dream's score is better. Then in a thread about THE SHADOW, one of them says they love Goldsmith's score.

As always, there is no accounting for taste! :lol:
That's just flat out sad.

AndyDursin

#37 Post by AndyDursin »

LEGEND is also coming on Blu-Ray from Fox this October in the UK (and likely most international territories).

This is very likely to be the European version (94 mins with Goldsmith's score) since that's what Fox has always released over there.

For completists it might be worth importing since the image quality on the Fox Intl DVD was better than the US Director's Cut, if only because the source elements were in better shape.

AndyDursin

Re: LEGEND Blu-Ray - 5/31

#38 Post by AndyDursin »

Now $14.99 on Amazon

Word is apparently very, very good...the transfer is apparently terrific...even though Universal had no review copies to provide for the press.

Waiting on my copy coming in from borders.com on Wed. ($13.50 shipped).

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

WOW. Looks great :)

The director's cut starts with a disclaimer from Scott that, because it was sourced from an answer print, the flaws are more obvious in high-def, but I tell you what: it looks far better, more detailed than I expected.

The US theatrical release is okay looking but seems to have some edge enhancement/artificial sharpening on it -- but who cares, I have no reason to watch it but laugh at it anyway ;)

All the extras save the DVD-ROM extras have been retained...absolute recommend for fans!

AndyDursin

#40 Post by AndyDursin »

OK not all the extras were brought over. The Blu-Ray leaves off:

-Three of the stills galleries
-storyboards
-the DVD Rom content

Just might want to hang onto the 2nd disc from the DVD set for completists' sake...

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

Well this is somewhat interesting -- the soundtrack to the US theatrical version on the new Blu-Ray is definitely different than the prior DVD.

I was on the AVS Forum and someone ran off a few differences he heard in the first 5 minutes alone. No question there are subtle but obvious alterations -- the music runs longer in one sequence, some brief dialogue is dialed out, etc.

His original post is here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st20511476

There's a disclaimer that runs before the movie (both versions actually), and Scott says the US Theatrical version was transferred in 2006, making it much more recent than the DVD naturally...so who knows what else is different in it! These changes he noted are only in the first few minutes.

Must have been sourced from a different version of the US print.

Paul MacLean

#42 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Well this is somewhat interesting -- the soundtrack to the US theatrical version on the new Blu-Ray is definitely different than the prior DVD.
Scott used to make so many different mixes for his films. The 70mm prints of Alien had a different sound mix than the 35mm prints, the home video of Blade Runner also had some differences in the sound mix (as well as the additional gore).

Personally I couldn't care less what they do to the American cut. Legend was already harmed by ill-considered re-editing (like the "make-out" scene early after Jack and Lili meet) and Tangerine Dream's music ruins the film.

AndyDursin

#43 Post by AndyDursin »

LEGENDS CAN BE NOW AND FOREVER.... hahahahaaha.

:lol: :lol:

Paul MacLean

#44 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:LEGENDS CAN BE NOW AND FOREVER.... hahahahaaha.
And don't forget the "cool" end title song (and music video)...

[youtube]S4hQg2yW1Rk&feature[/youtube]

Dig those leather pants!

AndyDursin

#45 Post by AndyDursin »

I am absolutely thrilled with the transfers.

There are interesting disclaimers from Scott on-screen before each version. He says the Director's Cut was newly transferred for this release, that the U.S. theatrical was transferred in 2006 without his supervision but has more detail and such over the Director's Cut release since the latter came from an answer print. That said I am surprised how good the Director's Cut looks because I was prepared for the worst to be honest with you.

This movie looks so unbelievably gorgeous in high-def, it's one of the most lyrical looking films I've ever seen and it benefits all the more from being in high-definition. 8)