Rocketeer Blu-Ray in December

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Rocketeer Blu-Ray in December

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=7238

Pre-anorexia J-Co in high-def...

Now we just need a Blu-Ray of Career Opportunities... :D

AndyDursin

Re: Rocketeer Blu-Ray in December...?!

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I was just about to post this (yes we have power again!).

I'm thrilled Disney is actually releasing SOMETHING from the back catalog themselves...can't wait to see it in high-def.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

I just hope we get some extras. I'd be happy with just a kick-ass transfer of the film itself, but a commentary, some deleted scenes and a retrospective documentary would be the icing on the cake.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

I'll buy it.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

This one and CAREER OPPORTUNITIES as MJ and I have often mentioned are JC at her very, very best.

THE ROCKETEER is also one of my all-time favorite movie-going memories. My parents and I were on a long June vacation driving out to Colorado and back to RI, and we had stopped in Toronto for a few days. We went to see THE ROCKETEER at a very old movie palace that had been restored with full THX accreditation, and we sat in the balcony along with a group of young kids on a birthday party. I remember vividly watching one kid climbing up the stairs to the balcony of this gorgeous '30s styled movie theater, tripping over the top step and spilling his popcorn. No less than a minute later, his friend climbs up the steps with his massive popcorn and does EXACTLY the same thing! It was unbelievably hilarious.

The theater itself was just one of the most beautiful cinematic experiences I've ever had, the sound was terrific, and the movie was wonderful. I'm sure the Blu-Ray, provided it has been transferred properly, will go a long way to bringing back those memories. 8)

Eric W.

#6 Post by Eric W. »

Got give big props to James Horner's score as well.

And JC is just a tragedy how gorgeous she was before the mass eating disorder phase hit Hollywood and took down far too many women like herself. She's almost unrecognizable flat out.

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric W. wrote:And JC is just a tragedy how gorgeous she was before the mass eating disorder phase hit Hollywood and took down far too many women like herself. She's almost unrecognizable flat out.
Some people have given me crap about attacking Connelly just because she's 20 years older and everyone ages and looks different, blah blah blah, but what she's done to herself is nothing short of appalling. It's not just the missing boobs and curves, but her face is totally different today, and I don't think it's the usual cosmetic surgery trap so many fortysomething actresses fall into (look at Nicole Kidman...like Connelly, absolutely ravishing in the early/mid-90's, but now her face has become totally immobilized and mask-like), but just the lack of the voluptuous "baby fat" she had back in the day, which gave her facial features an inherently appealing "roundness" that's a far cry from the gaunt, protruding cheekbones you could practically slice deli meat on these days. :(

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

The other thing for me about JC is that her appearance has always been her most important asset. Her personality isnt to me very interesting and her performances are almost uniformly plastic and bland....so take away her looks and she doesn't have much to offer.

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:The other thing for me about JC is that her appearance has always been her most important asset. Her personality isnt to me very interesting and her performances are almost uniformly plastic and bland....so take away her looks and she doesn't have much to offer.
But she's an Academy Award winning-actress...! :roll:

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:The other thing for me about JC is that her appearance has always been her most important asset. Her personality isnt to me very interesting and her performances are almost uniformly plastic and bland....so take away her looks and she doesn't have much to offer.
But she's an Academy Award winning-actress...! :roll:
Hey, right movie at the right time (albeit a massively overrated one). We all see what kind of roles she got off that (THE DILEMMA, lol).

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Hey, right movie at the right time (albeit a massively overrated one). We all see what kind of roles she got off that (THE DILEMMA, lol).
Can anyone name a SINGLE Supporting Actress Oscar winner who went on to bigger and better things? What have you seen Mira Sorvino in lately? At least Marisa Tomei has been getting a lot of work in good movies lately, after a decade's worth of slim pickings (and she still looks fab).

Eric W.

#12 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote:
Can anyone name a SINGLE Supporting Actress Oscar winner who went on to bigger and better things? What have you seen Mira Sorvino in lately? At least Marisa Tomei has been getting a lot of work in good movies lately, after a decade's worth of slim pickings (and she still looks fab).
Good point and I pretty much agree with everything you and Andy wrote since my last post.

Marisa Tomei just never ceases to amaze me in more ways than one. I can't believe how hot she still is, too. She's talented. She's just got it all.

Mira Sorvino is a good actress. It's a shame she just dropped off basically.

Jedbu

#13 Post by Jedbu »

Let's see...

Linda Hunt-SILVERADO, NCIS-LOS ANGELES
Mary Astor-THE MALTESE FALCON, MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS
Ethel Barrymore-PORTRAIT OF JENNIE, THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE
Anne Baxter-ALL ABOUT EVE, THE TEN COMMANDMENTS
Cate Blanchett-CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON, THE HOBBIT
Penelope Cruz-NINE, THE BOP DECAMERON
Judi Dench-some Bond films, IRIS, CHOCOLAT
Patty Duke-THE PATTY DUKE SHOW
Whoopi Goldberg-GIRL, INTERRUPTED
Ruth Gordon-HAROLD AND MAUDE, WHERE'S POPPA?
Lee Grant-SHAMPOO, THERE WAS A CROOKED MAN
Goldie Hawn-PRIVATE BENJAMIN, FOUL PLAY
Celeste Holm-ALL ABOUT EVE, CHAMPAGNE FOR CAESAR
Anjelica Huston-THE GRIFTERS, LONESOME DOVE
Angelina Jolie-CHANGELING, A MIGHTY HEART
Shirley Jones-THE MUSIC MAN, TWO RODE TOGETHER
Jessica Lange-BLUE SKY, BIG FISH
Cloris Leachman-YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN, SPANGLISH
Mercedes McCambridge-GIANT, THE EXORCIST
Anna Paquin-X-MEN, TRUE BLOOD
Vanessa Redgrave-DEEP IMPACT, HOWARD'S END
Donna Reed-THE DONNA REED SHOW
Eva Marie Saint-RAINTREE COUNTY, NORTH BY NORTHWEST
Meryl Streep-SOPHIE'S CHOICE, OUT OF AFRICA
Dianne Weist-EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, I AM SAM
Shelley Winters-THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE, NEXT STOP GREENWICH VILLAGE, S. O. B.
Teresa Wright-THE PRIDE OF THE YANKEES, THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES
Renee Zellwiger-CINDERELLA MAN, MISS POTTER
Catherine Zeta-Jones-THE TERMINAL

...of course, none of these actresses were ever heard from again after winning...

Monterey Jack

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

Looks like the Blu-Ray will have exactly zero extra features. :(

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Not surprised...Disney's not going to invest much in this title. We're lucky we're seeing it at all on BD.

That said, I think it'd be better for most consumers if this ended up a Mill Creek bargain title at $5-$10 instead of a $20+ retail release considering there's nothing on it.