Warners Pulling ‘Harry Potter’ Out Of Circulation.

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

Warners Pulling ‘Harry Potter’ Out Of Circulation.

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Burbank, CA – October 24, 2011 – Harry Potter, the #1 motion picture franchise of all time, will soon disappear from shelves, as Warner Bros. stops shipping all Harry Potter theatrical film titles (including Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows™ – Part 2, and Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection) as of December 29, 2011 (moratorium does not include digital – Electronic Sell-Through & VOD – or games). The Harry Potter franchise has grossed more than $12.1 billion for Warner Bros. Entertainment – with $7 billion at the worldwide box office for Warner Bros. Pictures and $5.1 billion for Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group and Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/10/warners ... ith-12-1b/

http://uk.movies.yahoo.com/harry-potter ... -2012.html
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric W.

Re: Warners Pulling ‘Harry Potter’ Out Of Circulation.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Pulling a Disney here? Spike that demand by putting a time limit on the whole thing?

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

I stopped buying the DVDs of the Potter films after the fourth one anyways intending to wait for the inevitable "complete series" boxed set, and have yet to buy any of the Blus (even though some of them have been selling for as little as $7.99 apiece). I can wait another year to have the whole thing, and hopefully with more extras geared to adult fans.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

A sure-fire cash grab to move existing inventory, then flood the market with the "real" extended Special Editions next year or the year after.

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

First of all, Warner Home Video has officially announced that they're placing Harry Potter on moratorium on 12/29. All DVDs, Blu-rays and box sets will stop shipping to retailers as of that date. That includes Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and the Harry Potter: The Complete 8-Film Collection. The reason? The studio is planning a massive Complete Harry Potter re-issue in late 2012, and is trying to pump up demand for it. As we reported on 10/3, the studio has revealed the following...

"Hard-core Potter fans will be pleased to know that 2011 is not the end of the Harry Potter film franchise on DVD and Blu-ray. Warner Home Video plans to release a comprehensive Harry Potter film collection, with even more extras and collectible premiums in 2012. More details about the collection will be available at a later date."

So there you go. If you're among those few who haven't already purchased Potter on BD or DVD, and you want to dive in sooner rather than later, act before 12/29 or put your plans on hold for a year.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Yep, didn't take Kreskin to figure that one out, lol.

The good news is if you want to buy the older releases at a very cheap price, this is your opportunity. It's doubtful the transfers/soundtracks will be better -- just the supplements will be.

Mike Skerritt

#7 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:Yep, didn't take Kreskin to figure that one out, lol.

The good news is if you want to buy the older releases at a very cheap price, this is your opportunity. It's doubtful the transfers/soundtracks will be better -- just the supplements will be.
What I'm really holding out hope for is a set where both parts of DEATHLY HALLOWS have been edited together into a single film.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Mike Skerritt wrote:What I'm really holding out hope for is a set where both parts of DEATHLY HALLOWS have been edited together into a single film.
And rescored by John Williams!

Eric W.

#9 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:
Mike Skerritt wrote:What I'm really holding out hope for is a set where both parts of DEATHLY HALLOWS have been edited together into a single film.

Has this thread morphed into a "what I'm asking Santa for Christmas" fantasy wish list or what? ;)

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric W. wrote:
Paul MacLean wrote:

Has this thread morphed into a "what I'm asking Santa for Christmas" fantasy wish list or what? ;)
I guess so!

I'd also like a new cut of LOTR rescored by Laurence Rosenthal, with a reduced running time, new effects shots and Vigo Mortensen digitally replaced by Daniel Day-Lewis!

Eric W.

#11 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:
I'd also like a new cut of LOTR rescored by Laurence Rosenthal, with a reduced running time, new effects shots and Vigo Mortensen digitally replaced by Daniel Day-Lewis!
:idea:

Sounds good!