Battlestar Galactica-Season 1 DVD

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Eric Paddon

Battlestar Galactica-Season 1 DVD

#1 Post by Eric Paddon »

I won't be transporting the free-for-alls I've had at other places regarding the original Battlestar Galactica versus the new show, but I only want to comment on this point.

"which die-hard fans of the old show objected to for about five minutes...until it was clear that the new version is a far better work of science fiction and overall drama in every way, shape and form."

I'm afraid that's really not true, Andy, and that's not making a comment about the merits or lack thereof about this show but commenting instead on what's actually going on in Galactica fan circles. The most recent episode of this show, which involved a rape sequence and the reimagining of what is perhaps the most beloved episode of the original series "Living Legend" so disturbed one of the most prominent Galactica discussion boards on the net, Colonial Fleets (this is a board that has among its moderators one of the FX designers on the miniseries, and which Ron Moore himself was an active reader of to the point where he actually registered and posted there) that they made a decision to ban all further discussion of the new series and concentrate solely as a resource for the original Galactica henceforth (in other words, returning to its roots, and feeling that the new show had crossed a line where they could no longer in good conscience accomodate discussion on it after attempting a co-existence strategy with not too successful results). Ron Moore even went to the length of writing back to the board on this development because it was an action that concerned him, so that alone I think should indicate that the division of opinion on this show has, if anything, stayed entrenched. Again, that's not meant to open up a new debate, just to point out that the division still exists.

AndyDursin

Re: Battlestar Galactica-Season 1 DVD

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

Eric Paddon wrote:I won't be transporting the free-for-alls I've had at other places regarding the original Battlestar Galactica versus the new show, but I only want to comment on this point.

"which die-hard fans of the old show objected to for about five minutes...until it was clear that the new version is a far better work of science fiction and overall drama in every way, shape and form."

I'm afraid that's really not true, Andy, and that's not making a comment about the merits or lack thereof about this show but commenting instead on what's actually going on in Galactica fan circles. The most recent episode of this show, which involved a rape sequence and the reimagining of what is perhaps the most beloved episode of the original series "Living Legend" so disturbed one of the most prominent Galactica discussion boards on the net, Colonial Fleets (this is a board that has among its moderators one of the FX designers on the miniseries, and which Ron Moore himself was an active reader of to the point where he actually registered and posted there) that they made a decision to ban all further discussion of the new series and concentrate solely as a resource for the original Galactica henceforth (in other words, returning to its roots, and feeling that the new show had crossed a line where they could no longer in good conscience accomodate discussion on it after attempting a co-existence strategy with not too successful results). Ron Moore even went to the length of writing back to the board on this development because it was an action that concerned him, so that alone I think should indicate that the division of opinion on this show has, if anything, stayed entrenched. Again, that's not meant to open up a new debate, just to point out that the division still exists.
I haven't seen that episode, Eric, and I can understand your point about the division still existing (and with good reason as well). The new show is not a family program by any means, and that's something the old series certainly COULD boast.

Paul MacLean

Re: Battlestar Galactica-Season 1 DVD

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

Well I didn't like the show at first -- the music was not (and still isn't) very good (PLEASE, lets put the deduk and wailing womens' voices away already!).

I disliked (and still dislike) the goofy DUNE-style uniforms. (Why does every sci-fi show made in Hollywood have stupid-looking costumes -- I honestly prefer Space: 1999's bell-bottoms).

But...I mostly agree with Andy, this new Galatica is superior to the original in almost every regard. I loved the old show, which appealed to my pre-adolecent mindset with its evil robots and cool space battles (even if they did re-use the exact same footage every week). But lets face it, as both science ficion and satisfying drama it wasn't too far removed from Jason of Star Command.

The writers never did their homewok on the original Galactica. Scientific accuracy was negligable. This is happily not the case on the new series, which offers more plausible scenarios.

Beyond that I love the quasi-documentary, "Black Hawk Down" style of the show, and its endevor to be a more challenging and realistically visceral series. I was suprised (and somewhat disturbed) by the rape attampt scene, but I felt it fit-in with the stark "realist" style of the show.

Paul