JURASSIC WORLD - What's Behind Padlock 9? A Bad Movie

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

JURASSIC WORLD - What's Behind Padlock 9? A Bad Movie

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

The RISE OF THE APES couple are the latest to try their hands at the long-gestating sequel...

EXCLUSIVE: While Universal Pictures has been trying all summer to generate new franchises, the studio is getting moving with the fourth installment of its biggest one, Jurassic Park. Universal is setting Rick Jaffa & Amanda Silver to write the script for the fourth film, which will be produced by Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy. Spielberg won’t direct this one. The first three films, which started with the Spielberg-directed 1993 blockbuster Jurassic Park based on the bestselling novel by Michael Crichton, have grossed over $1.9 billion worldwide collectively. Universal is rereleasing the original film in 3D on July 19, 2013. The scribe are repped by CAA and attorney Don Steele.

Monterey Jack

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - APES Writers Sign For New Script

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Considering how the series has devolved in quality from one sequel to the next, a fourth entry would probably be an F. :shock:

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

Couldn't be less interested although these writers have definitely put themselves on my radar, so to speak. Apes was fantastic.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Considering how the series has devolved in quality from one sequel to the next, a fourth entry would probably be an F. :shock:
You're one of the few people I've ever run into who actually prefers THE LOST WORLD to the third movie...obviously a "YMMV" kind of deal there. lol. :lol:

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:You're one of the few people I've ever run into who actually prefers THE LOST WORLD to the third movie...obviously a "YMMV" kind of deal there. lol. :lol:
While The Lost World is far from "good", at least it had Jeff Goldblum delivering a few funny lines (Sam Neill is dreadfully dull by comparison in the third), Spielberg behind the camera, a John Williams score, some good individual setpieces (the "RV hanging off the cliff" scene in particular) and a fine (if underutilized) performance by the late Pete Postlewaite. Even only sampling the "good bits", I'd take that any day over the horrible JPIII. Tea Leoni drags that film down almost single-handedly.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more (Goldblum for me was a total failure in Lost World as a leading man). But then it's a rehashing of an argument we've already had. 8)

I will say a fresh set of writers will probably do this some good. At least they never bothered making the proposed story line about the dinosaurs walking upright and being used as soldiers in warfare or something like that!

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Colin Trevorrow -- whose only claim to fame (and only prior feature) was the mediocre indie SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED -- is the director JURASSIC PARK IV.

Very surprising pick...and pretty shocking they're putting this 36-year-old with no experience of directing a film of this magnitude in charge of a fast-tracked sequel that's filming in a couple of months for a locked-in 2014 release date.

I'm guessing Spielberg and ILM have the set-pieces already planned out and the script, by the APES writers, is probably well liked. Trevorrow is undoubtedly a "hired hand" here -- but with so little experience, it's something of a risky bet.

Anyway, you can't say we saw it coming! lol

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/colin-t ... spielberg/

Colin Trevorrow, who made his feature directorial debut on the no-budget Sundance pic Safety Not Guaranteed, is about to make a Tyrannosaurus rex-sized leap in scale for his next film. He has been set by Universal Pictures to helm Jurassic Park 4, the third sequel to the dinosaur franchise hatched from Michael Crichton’s novel. Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes scribes Rick Jaffa and Amanda Silver have written the script. Frank Marshall is producing with Patrick Crowley, and Steven Spielberg is executive producer. It will be shot in 3D and get released June 13, 2014. This is Spielberg’s baby, and he got this giant franchise going by directing the first two films. This is a big piece of business for Universal and Spielberg; their last Jurassic Park picture was released in 2001, directed by Joe Johnston.

Trevorrow made his jump to features on Safety Not Guaranteed, which FilmDistrict acquired and released and which grossed $4 million. He’s making a humungous step up in every way by joining a franchise which, in three films, has grossed nearly $2 billion worldwide, with Universal preparing a theatrical rerelease of the first film in 3D on April 5.

Why Trevorrow? He met with the studio and filmmakers, and they felt he was a good match for the material, having grown up a huge fan of the trilogy and part of a new generation of directors steeped in all things dinosaur. They felt he would preserve and protect the characters in the story they created.

Eric W.

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - Director (Incredibly) Picked

#8 Post by Eric W. »

I have very low expectations for this.

Mike Skerritt

#9 Post by Mike Skerritt »

AndyDursin wrote:They felt he would preserve and protect the characters in the story they created.[/b]
TRANSLATION: They felt he would do exactly what the hell they told him to do.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Mike Skerritt wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:They felt he would preserve and protect the characters in the story they created.[/b]
TRANSLATION: They felt he would do exactly what the hell they told him to do.
Yeah, exactly, that's what I meant by "hired hand". You wonder if all the effects sequences haven't already been storyboarded and pre-conceived.

Curious to see what the storyline is, cast and such. The Apes writers hopefully will nail it -- of course, it can't be much worse than the abandoned "Talking Military Dinosaurs" they were planning at one point!!

AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - Director (Incredibly) Picked

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Lots going on. The director sent out pics from a location scouting trip a few days ago -- then a couple of people working on the film tweeted last night that the film is dead. Now Universal has issued a statement saying it's not coming in 2014.

So is it delayed...which would be no surprise given they announced 2014 without a script or cast in place...or is it dead altogether?

I find the timing of their new script being handed in and now this delay to not be coincidental. Could well be they didn't like what they wrote (and to that I'd ask, did any of them see SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED? How you'd entrust JP4 to those guys is, well, baffling)

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... k-4-519479
Jurassic Park 4 is hitting the pause button. The dinosaur sequel, being directed by Colin Trevorrow, was due to begin production June 24 for a release date of June 13, 2014.

But on Wednesday the studio put the brakes on the project, deciding it needed more time for development.

“In coordination with filmmakers, Universal has decided to release Jurassic Park 4 at a later date giving the studio and filmmakers adequate time to bring audiences the best possible version of the fourth installment in Universal’s beloved franchise,” said the studio in a statement.

The studio is bereft of tentpole movies for next summer, and trying to push its franchises to their limits in order to fill its slate. It set a Fast & Furious 7 for a July 11, 2014 date but franchise director Justin Lin bowed out due to the time constraints. James Wan will now try to take the wheel.

With Jurassic Park 4, Trevorrow, producer Frank Marshall and a crew have been working towards a June 24 start. Trevorrow is living in Hawaii and had been there for quite some time, working with his Safety Not Guaranteed writer Derek Connolly on a new script.

But the studio only received their draft two days ago, according to several sources.

The move put in motion the studio development process and a new round of budgeting. It became clear that the start date and the release date would not be met under the new scenario and rather than risk the situation, Universal decided to postpone its much-needed franchise player.

The production delay has been coming to ahead since the new script arrived, with Ain’t It Cool News reporting of several tweets, now deleted, commenting on a possible shutdown.

“Hollywood makes and crushes dreams. Goodbye JP4,” tweeted Todd Smoyer, who is credited as a digital asset manager for the movie.

DavidBanner

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - On Hold Once Again!

#12 Post by DavidBanner »

I'm not surprised to see this movie pushed. I would also not be surprised to see it get pushed a lot farther. Universal is rushing these movies, and that usually results in them costing more and not being that good.

I'm thinking we'll hear about Fast & Furious pushing as well in its release date, unless they're going to say that they really are ready to go into production this second. The more likely scenario is that they are pushing to start shooting without a completed script, which is usually a recipe for disaster.

It's odd to me that we keep seeing studios announce release dates for movies either a year out or two years out without having a script and a completed plan of how to do it. So of course we get these announcements about delays and pushes. They could save everyone the trouble by waiting until they have all the pieces in place (a full script, a schedule, a cast), and THEN making an announcement.

AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - On Hold Once Again!

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like someone finally generated some info -- and the premise sounds quite a bit like JAWS 3-D!

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/exclusi ... ic-park-iv

Monterey Jack

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - Plot Details Finally Leaked

#14 Post by Monterey Jack »

I kept looking for Crow and Tom Servo at the bottom of that image...

AndyDursin

Re: JURASSIC PARK IV - Plot Details Finally Leaked

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Title and date announced --

"Jurassic World" hits theaters June 12, 2015.

Universal Pictures has set a release date and title for the fourth installment of the Jurassic Park franchise. Jurassic World hits theaters June 12, 2015.

Steven Spielberg, who directed the 1993 original and its 1997 follow-up, The Lost World: Jurassic Park, will produce. Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed) will direct from a draft of a screenplay he wrote with Derek Connolly. Frank Marshall and Pat Crowley will also produce. The film will be shot in 3D.

Universal also released an official logo for the film (above). Jurassic World is currently the only film slated to be released the weekend of June 12, 2015.