X-MEN FIRST CLASS 2 - Old Cast to Reprise Roles in Mash-Up

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

X-MEN FIRST CLASS 2 - Old Cast to Reprise Roles in Mash-Up

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

What's up with Matthew Vaughn?

Jumps into THOR, leaves the project. Jumps into this sequel (after turning down Kick Ass 2) -- now he's out of this one also. Weird.

Too bad, Singer is VASTLY overrated as a filmmaker IMO...and looks like he's coming back.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/matthew ... place-him/

Monterey Jack

Re: X-Men First Class 2 - Matthew Vaughn Jumps Ship (Again)

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

As sad as I am to see Vaughn leave, Singer made two X-Men movies that went from "very good" to "excellent", so I have no problem in seeing him return to the franchise he helped create. It'd make up for him not being able to make X-Men: The Last Stand (and Brett Ratner taking over in his abscence :?).

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I just feel like there's a "been there, done that" to Singer coming back. Vaughn brought an interesting visual energy to First Class (and every film he's made), and I think that's going to be missed (not that it was a great movie -- it wasn't -- but there were elements of it I liked). Besides, between the X-flicks and Superman Returns, I get the whole "superhero/gay/alienation" angle, and I feel like I've seen it enough. It's like Singer can't help himself but insert his own POV into these films -- even when it becomes heavy-handed and obvious (certainly did not help Superman out at all). The whole "have you tried not being a mutant" thing -- we get it, and it's been done already.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

In a weird move (considering he's directing the sequel of a spin-off of a franchise he started), Singer it is...wonder what the reason was for Vaughn's departure.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/bryan-s ... -past-fox/

Mike Skerritt

Re: X-MEN FIRST CLASS 2 - Bryan Singer in for Matthew Vaughn

#5 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Yeesh, this was not good news. Vaughn brought a fresh perspective on the franchise and managed to address the social commentary with a lightness of touch that Singer can only dream of. He made a Bond movie with mutants. Singer seems more interested in making a Gus Van Sant movie with mutants.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Well said Mike. It also speaks to where Singer's career has gone -- he needs the X-Men more than the X-Men need him.

Vaughn's departure is more the interesting story than Singer's return. You wonder if this movie's supposed plot -- allegedly involving the old and the new cast -- is being pulled in a direction he wasn't interested in going in, or if concessions are being made to the cameos (or whatever they will be) to the original crew. Who knows.

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like this mash-up of the old cast and the new one is officially "on"...

Bryan Singer Tweeted today that Anna Paquin, Ellen Page and Shawn Ashmore have rejoined the team for X-Men: Days of Future Past. Last month Singer, who directed the first two chapters of the Fox franchise, also announced via Twitter that Hugh Jackman would regrow his claws for the followup to X-Men: First Class. Paquin, Page and Ashmore most recently appeared in Brett Ratner’s X-Men: The Last Stand as Rogue, Kitty Pride and Iceman, respectively. Singer’s tweet (@BryanSinger) thanked Ratner “for letting them live!” In addition to Jackman, Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellen are returning as are other First Class mates James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/01/anna-pa ... ture-past/

Eric W.

Re: X-MEN FIRST CLASS 2 - Old Cast to Reprise Roles in Mash-

#8 Post by Eric W. »

So far I like what I see.