Rate The Last TV Show Episode You Watched

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: Rate The Last TV Show Episode You Watched

#271 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 1:31 am I am not a fan of the trope of supposedly superior alien races playing their holier-than-thou games of judgmentalism in which they see themselves as perfect, odor-free and without all forms of sin so they can cast all the stones they like about how other races must follow their standards......OR ELSE!
I've always chucked a bit over the way atheist science fiction writers often to have fall-back on some kind of "higher being" to provide "judgement". I also think this episode was influenced by the Vietnam war, and the mindset of some that the US was wrong (and to some extent "the bad guy").

I prefer "Errand of Mercy", in which the Klingons are a stand-in for communist totalitarianism -- and are clearly depicted as ruthless, war-loving and punitive (and the antithesis to the Federation's altruism).

"Arena" was actually based on a non-Star Trek short story -- which did not have the judgemental "Metrons" per se (the aliens who placed the two characters in the "arena" were depicted more vaguely). The alien adversary was not a "lizard man" but a genuinely alien life form -- a large ball which moved about by rolling, with copious orifices out of which emerged long appendages (like an elephant's trunk) with sharp pincers at the end of them. The human captain was also dropped into the arena completely naked. There is also an interesting moment in which the human has a telepathic interaction with his enemy and is horrified beyond imagining by its thoughts. The human's method of defeating his enemy was also much more interesting than Captain Kirk creating a "cannon" (which could never have worked to begin with, without a hammer to create a high-pressure ignition!).

John Johnson

#272 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:02 pm TED LASSO

One of those bafflingly well-reviewed series by what constitutes the mainstream media these days, this Apple+ series starring SNL vet Jason Sudiekis as an American football coach hired as the new manager of a European soccer team is maybe casually watchable. But the one thing it's not is uproariously funny.

In fact for the most part this played like a joke I wasn't in on. Ted Lasso isn't particularly outlandish as a character -- at least not the typical one-dimensional stereotype you might expect -- yet the comedy is awfully light on its feet. What's worse, the show's R-rated raunchiness flies in the face of its "feel good" elements.

Either way, overrated seems totally apropos, and after a couple of episodes, I felt like I had seen more than enough.
AFC Richmond is portrayed as a London based Premiership club. The series has proved to be popular, that a third series has been commissioned.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Paul MacLean

#273 Post by Paul MacLean »

Shogun (7/10)

Based on James Cavell's best-seller, this was NBC's "big event" for their Fall 1980 season, and while very ambitious, it doesn't live up to its potential. Casting is top-notch, particularly Richard Chamberlain as the protagonist, and a supporting cast including John Rhys-Davies, Vladek Sheybal and Toshiro Mifune as Lord Toranaga. Unfortunatley, Mifune doesn't have a lot of screen time and isn't given much to do -- basically Mifune is on hand because he's the iconic Japanese movie star Toshiro Mifune.

In many ways the series was impressively groundbreaking -- being entirely shot in Japan with a mostly Japanese cast (speaking Japanese dialog). The essential story is terrific, the tale of an English navigator, John Blackthorne (Chamberlain) who is shipwrecked on the Japanese coast, and must contend with the customs of a totally alien society -- and worse, a society where the Jesuit order have gained influence, and view the Protestant Blackthorne as a heretic.

Shogun does effectively portray the enormous culture shock of a 17th century Englishman marooned in a strange land with incomprehensible social mores. The depiction of this culture clash is also respectably balanced, showing the punitive, often-ruthless class system of feudal Japan -- but also the refined aspects of that culture: honor, and respect (and cleanliness!). This is offset by Chamberlain's Blackthorne, who is reared in Christian notions of forgiveness and grace, and the emergent "upward mobility" of Europe's merchant class -- ideas unthinkable in Japan at that time.

Despite the historic "canvas" and location shooting, Shogun is surprisingly claustrophobic, doesn't have a tenth of the scope of other miniseries of that time, like Jesus of Nazareth, Centennial or Masada. Little of Japan's gorgeous, mountainous landscape is ever glimpsed, and for an "epic" miniseries set in a foreign, war-torn culture, that is really inexcusable. Clavell had enlisted Robert Bolt to write a teleplay in 1975, which unfortunately went unused. Instead the series was adapted by Eric Bercovici (Hell in the Pacific) and consists of mostly dialog scenes. Action is at a minimum -- and what few action scenes there are have that "made for TV" style (and stuntwork) which was ubiquitous in the late 1970s.

I have not read the book, but the series does not get into the background of how the Jesuits got control in Japan, or to what extent the Church of Rome influenced the local culture, which I'd like to have seen more of. Frustratingly, Shogun only lightly touches on the attempts of Japanese converts to reconcile their Christian faith with centuries of astringent Japanese customs (many of which are incompatible with the teachings of Jesus Christ -- though not, admittedly, the punitive doctrines practiced by the Catholic Church at the time).

Shogun also -- bafflingly -- dispenses with subtitles (which would have helped enormously). Instead, the dramatic solution was to have the character of Mariko (Blackthrone's translator, and love interest) repeat almost every line of Japanese dialog in English -- which really slows things down. Narration by Orson Welles fills-in for the scenes in which Miriko is absent, but that doesn't help much, and there are moments in the series which get confusing, owing to so much that the narration needs to explain.

Maurice Jarre's score is dramatically effective, and gives him a chance to show-off his extensive knowledge of Japanese music. However, Shogun's talky, interior style denies Jarre the chance to indulge any long melodic lines (in contrast to his much-more lush and tuneful score for James Clavell's Tai-Pan, several years later). His "sea shanty"-like title theme is also very frenetic and borders on goofy -- yet this same theme (when slowed-down and assigned to woodwinds and Japanese instruments) makes for a genuinely beautiful love theme.

The ending is frankly a ripoff -- as Orson Wells' narration tells us that Lord Toranaga went to war and established himself Shogun. Great, but it would have been more satisfying to actually show us the battle scene (which is not depicted).

Shogun is not without powerful moments, and is overall watchable, but despite its "epic" subject (and epic length) it is long on talk and short on action, and ultimately proves a disappointment. It is also sad to consider Toshiro Mifune was appearing in marginal productions like this and The Challenge in the 1980s -- but not in Kagemusha or Ran.

Shogun, incidentally, was a bomb when shown on Japanese TV.

Last edited by Paul MacLean on Fri May 05, 2023 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkholm

#274 Post by jkholm »

Only Murders in the Building

Excellent 10-episode series on Hulu stars Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez as residents of a fancy apartment building in New York City who discover a shared interest in true-crime podcasts. When an actual murder occurs in their building, they team up to solve it and record their own podcast. The show is both suspenseful and funny with a well-written mystery at the core. There are multiple suspects, clues you don’t realize are clues and plenty of red herrings. This is Steve Martin’s best work in years (if not decades).

AndyDursin

#275 Post by AndyDursin »

YELLOWJACKETS

YoutubeTV had a 2-month, $2 deal for Showtime so I subscribed to check out this well-reviewed new thriller -- and it's good. I have no idea where it's going or if it will satisfy once it gets there, but the journey is compelling and superbly crafted, bouncing between several time lines -- a high school girls soccer team in 1996 crashes in the wild, eventually succumbs to LORD OF THE FLIES like cannibalism, and a present-day story involving several of the characters with heavy amounts of mystery involved. Melanie Lynskey, Juliette Lewis and Christina Ricci anchor the latter portion, but the younger cast really pulls their weight, especially the terrific Sophie Nélisse, who was in THE BOOK THIEF and really provides a star-making turn here.

Horror, suspense, and coming of age drama all work well here with the overall story only being "revealed" parts at a time. However, unlike LOST, you don't feel as if it's being made up as it goes along, as the different time frames seem to have been smartly scripted out. Plus it's all wrapped up in a widescreen treatment that gives it a cinematic feel -- this is well shot and directed throughout.

Fingers crossed it leads somewhere, but it's a really good watch in the meantime.

AndyDursin

#276 Post by AndyDursin »

1883 (Paramount+)

Handsomely mounted western from Taylor Sheridan -- officially a "prequel" to "Yellowstone" though it's essentially a standalone work -- manages to be instantly compelling as it establishes a group of disparate characters gathered in the seedy side of Fort Worth, hoping for a better future. You have a group of European immigrants who can't speak English; a family led by grizzled Tim McGraw and Faith Hill whose teen daughter (the fetching Isabelle May) sees their trek west as an adventure; and two former military soldiers (the even more grizzled Sam Elliott, LaMonica Garrett) working for Pinkerton, leading them towards Oregon and hopefully a new home in the West.

No, there are no groundbreaking storylines going on -- but Sheridan manages to work in both swift action and violence with family components just as effectively here in a straight, period western setting as he does on the contemporary "Yellowstone." The characters are well established right off the bat, the various story lines don't need much time to intersect -- this is a really well-oiled production. Add in some potent star cameos a couple of episodes in and you've got likely another winner for Sheridan that's highly recommended for western fans just looking for a straight-ahead, meat-and-potatoes genre exercise. Someone described this as, at times, resembling an R-rated LITTLE HOUSE ON THE PRAIRIE -- and what's wrong with that?

jkholm

#277 Post by jkholm »

A couple of shows I’ve been watching lately.

The Book of Boba Fett

Really enjoying this, very much in keeping with the style of The Mandalorian. Fan service? Sure, but it’s well-done and the complete opposite of the Disney-era feature films.

Hawkeye

I’ve barely made it through three episodes, mainly because I’ve been bored and tired and I can at least watch it while my kids are in the room (as opposed to say, The Sopranos). Is it me or is the humor in the MCU getting worse and worse? It used to be one-liners and quips but lately the sense of humor is all about adults acting like children and I find it extremely annoying. Yes, this type of humor has been used before but it doesn’t work here. I can’t take these people seriously when one minute they’re behaving childishly and the next they’re having a heart to heart. Episode 3 introduced yet another intersectional villain: she’s both deaf and has a prosthetic limb.

The Wheel of Time

The popular series of fantasy books finally comes to the small screen in Amazon’s new adaptation. I’ve seen four episodes. There are some interesting ideas here but the show is hampered by woke casting (some of the cast is good but most aren’t), a cheap look and a bad case of Game of Thrones envy. Many scenes appear to be exactly as they actually are: pretty European scenery with some genre-specific sets and costumes added on top. It’s not nearly as immersive as the Lord of the Rings films. I’m surprised at the TV-14 rating considering the gore, nudity and implied sex on screen. This is not a family show and clearly is trying to appeal to GoT fans. It’s a bizarre decision since the source material is clearly more in line with Tolkien’s style than Martin’s.

BobaMike

#278 Post by BobaMike »

Only Murders in the Building
Excellent, funny, whodunit. The trio of Martin Short, Steve Martin and Selena Gomez is suprisingly good! My wife and I really enjoyed this. The repetitive music got on my nerves a bit though. Not as "woke" as I feared.

Lost in Space
We watched the entire series as a family- and it was nice to see something a family could watch without worrying about language or sex. The storyline kept us guessing, the actors were all great (the Mom is quite yummy to look at, and the daughters are cute as well). What impressed me most was the special effects. Movie quality, in fact better than Star Wars in some respects. Recommended.

Hawkeye

Tied with Loki as the best of the Marvel shows. I liked the wintertime setting, and the fact it was short and to the point. The music is great, with good use of Christmas themes (and also introduced me to the old Sammy Davis Jr song, Gingerbread Man, which is a hoot).

AndyDursin

#279 Post by AndyDursin »

Read a lot of divergent comments on the Boba Fett show.

Monterey Jack

#280 Post by Monterey Jack »

God forbid there actually be some COLOR in a Star Wars show... :roll:

AndyDursin

#281 Post by AndyDursin »

Did you watch it? It's apparently a POS getting trashed by most every reaction I've come across, including people who liked the first episode or two (which had mixed reactions for the most part).

I just have no motivation to sit through any more Disney-fied Star Wars than I have to, so unless Theo demands it (and he's not), I'm good with passing. Especially when I see people describe this last episode as "the worst STAR WARS TV episode yet". :mrgreen:

Monterey Jack

#282 Post by Monterey Jack »

I enjoyed it, but then again, I loved Last Jedi, so apparently I'm a monster. :lol:

jkholm

#283 Post by jkholm »

It wasn't that bad. I'm listening to a Star Wars podcast and the hosts agree that the street gang was the most divisive part of this episode. (The gang is called "The Mods," both because they are humans with modified droid parts and also as a reference to the London Mod street gangs that rode around London in the 60's on scooters.) I'm far more bothered by a few characters whose humorous tone is more appropriate to a Marvel show than a Star Wars show.

I still think the Star Wars TV shows are far superior to the recent movies.

AndyDursin

#284 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree on The Mandalorian -- I don't LOVE it, I find some of it boring (some "episodes" pass by with literally nothing of consequence happening), but it's really the only "extension" of the Star Wars universe Disney has made that, to me, feels like a natural spinoff from the original "Lucasfilm" Star Wars universe. I didn't feel that way about Solo, and Rogue One was okay but I had some issues with it. The movie trilogy obviously had a host of problems, conceptual and otherwise.

I haven't watched this yet, and it troubles me Disney's plan is now just plowing through with show after show (Obi Wan and whatever else they have lined up), especially since the consensus is this show is in no way as good as The Mandalorian or as well-made. Their track record with anything is to hit it big one time, then recycle that success over and over to diminishing returns.

Monterey Jack

#285 Post by Monterey Jack »

Amazon's new Reacher series is everything the knockoff Tom Cruise movies weren't. Extremely faithful to the first of Lee Child's addictive book series (Killing Floor), with an ideally-cast Alan Ritchson in the title role and a tremendously fetching turn by WIlla Fitzgerald as the diminutive but tough-as-nails lady cop who catches Reacher's eye as he's accused of murder in a small Georgia town and unravels a rat's nest of conspiracy. This is well-paced, doesn't overstay its welcome (eight episodes, none over 55 minutes), offers a good mix of engrossing detective work and bone-crunching action and has a nicely understated sense of humor. Ritchson is a GREAT Reacher, blunt, taciturn yet quietly charismatic, and he's the spitting image of the massive, brick-wall character on the page, in sharp contract to the foot-shorter Cruise. :lol: Plus, it's nice to see a still-lovely Kristin Kreuk in a small supporting role. Fans of the books should be elated by this, and I hope many more seasons are produced. :)

Last edited by Monterey Jack on Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.