CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - 4/14

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - Trailer Released

#31 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote:Is Emily Vancamp's role a throwaway in this film? Doesn't appear in any trailer that I've seen.

Unless they're trying to sell Scarjo as the movie's female lead...
People have heard of Johansson...who knows who Emily Vancamp is? Plus, she's been in two Marvel movies before this.

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:
AndyDursin wrote:Is Emily Vancamp's role a throwaway in this film? Doesn't appear in any trailer that I've seen.

Unless they're trying to sell Scarjo as the movie's female lead...
People have heard of Johansson...who knows who Emily Vancamp is? Plus, she's been in two Marvel movies before this.
People who watch TV know who she is -- she's been on several popular shows and REVENGE has been one of ABC's higher rated series over the last few years.

That said, obviously she's not Scarlet, but it's probably false advertising promoting Black Widow they way they are. She's being promoted like she's one of the big stars of the film, but I'd wager all of her scenes are probably shown in this ad. It's probably nothing more than a glorified extended cameo.

I'm just saying -- you'd think they would show the movie's (apparent?) female lead ONCE for a second in these ads, no? By comparison, Hayley Atwell was shown in all kinds of ads for the first movie -- even though nobody at all knew who she was in the U.S.

It's just bizarre to me she doesn't even generate a second of screen time in any trailer for the movie, unless she's not in it much.

EDIT - Someone claims her role is just a set-up for the third CAPTAIN AMERICA movie. Sigh if that's true...lol

Edmund Kattak

#33 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Indeed,
Ed

Edmund Kattak

#34 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

New trailer debuted on the Super Bowl --

Edmund Kattak

#36 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:New trailer debuted on the Super Bowl --

At least they cut the two trailers in such a way that makes me interested, but doesn't give away the store. I am excited, but still don't REALLY know what the heck is going on. I like that. We'll see.
Indeed,
Ed

Edmund Kattak

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - 4/14 - New Trailer

#37 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Well, I listened to the Henry Jackman score album. I only genuinely like one cue "The Smithsonian" for its semi-pastoral Americana nod, but found the rest of the album (including the two songs stuck at the end) rather incoherent, musically. I was hopeful after he wrote a nice, but not spectacular "theme" for the original KICK-ASS.

This will further the argument that modern film music, in general., sucks so badly. It's lifeless on its own - working only to "support" the other noise and visuals on screen. There are no melodic themes (I miss you Jerry) or even good serial writing (nod to John Williams here). I sounds to me like just a pastiche of music that fits scenes to help get to the end of the movie. I know this is supposed to be "modern" CAPTAIN AMERICA, but does that mean we need to listen to constant droning synthesizers and electronic percussion to emphasize....exactly what is being emphasized? Where is the music that gets inside the charcter, which makes the story? Are these composers not in tune with that concept of scoring for character?

Listen to this score and tell me that I'm nuts or going deaf.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#38 Post by AndyDursin »

I have already heard this score -- without having heard it. lol

I guess the movie is quite good apparently...Part 3 is already set for May 2016, which is surprising. I thought we'd see THOR 3 before then.

Edmund Kattak

#39 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:I have already heard this score -- without having heard it. lol

I guess the movie is quite good apparently...Part 3 is already set for May 2016, which is surprising. I thought we'd see THOR 3 before then.
The movie will most likely be good. Regardless, the score isn't that good. I guess with the strength of the movie, a banjo and two kuzoos would suffice. Hearing this collage of incoherence just makes the score seem like an afterthought.

I tell you what a novel idea would be, since the film is supposed to be in the mold of one of those "70's conspiracy thriller." Why not drag David Shire out of retirement? At least he would have added appropriate style to the proceedings. Heck, let's get real experimental and have him do it in all twelve-tone, but with a large orchestra. It probably wouldn't cost any more than Jackman.
Indeed,
Ed

Edmund Kattak

#40 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Cool retro 70's poster - supposedly commissioned by Marvel.

Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#41 Post by AndyDursin »

Anyone go to see this? I expected some reaction by now :)

Edmund Kattak

#42 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:Anyone go to see this? I expected some reaction by now :)

Yes, I saw it on Saturday. I think the Russo brothers did an outstanding job, much to our earlier dismay and disappointment. I am glad for the more reflective moments in the picture (Cap at the Smithsonian, Steve and a much older Peggy). The scene with a much older Peggy (Good makeup job on Haley Atwell) was great - I just wished they had more of it. There's much more substance to this movie, even though you never forget it's action/adventure comic book genre flick. Much of the set pieces were great. The music, although terrible as a standalone listening experience, worked better in the film. I am not too familiar with Marvel world, so the first big post-credits sequence was a little illusive to me (although I did spot Loki's staff from the Avengers in the frame). A much better and more exciting film than the last marvel entry (THOR: The Dark World).

You'll see a lot of 70's and 80's references in here as well. I dig the 70's/80's data center technology at a key point in the second half of the film. And, of course, I like Cap returning to the vintage uniform later in the picture. I don't know if you saw it - or will even have time to see, considering your new schedule.
Last edited by Edmund Kattak on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

Re: CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - 4/14

#43 Post by AndyDursin »

A friend of mine is going to take me at some point this week! Looking forward to it.

Disney has officially confirmed CAP 3 for 5/6/16, setting it right up against the Batman/Superman thing. Can't say I blame them based on how well this did over the weekend!

Edmund Kattak

#44 Post by Edmund Kattak »

AndyDursin wrote:A friend of mine is going to take me at some point this week! Looking forward to it.

Disney has officially confirmed CAP 3 for 5/6/16, setting it right up against the Batman/Superman thing. Can't say I blame them based on how well this did over the weekend!
That will be interesting to see. HBO has been flooding MAN OF STEEL this past weekend. After seeing CAP 2, my wife thought MOS was ridiculous after watching the last 10 minutes of it yesterday.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#45 Post by AndyDursin »

The "Batfleck" angle will do a lot more for that Bat/Supes film than the "Man of Steel 2" part is going to. Kind of like SUPERMAN RETURNS -- with an added $100 mil thrown in because of 3-D and inflation more or less -- I don't feel the "fanboys" embraced MAN OF STEEL a whole lot, as evidenced by Warner making this movie more of a JUSTICE LEAGUE prequel than "MAN OF STEEL 2" as it were.

Either way it's good to see Cap doing so well. The first movie -- for whatever reason (period setting, etc.) -- just did "okay" by Marvel standards.