The Best Time to See THE CONJURING? Now

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

The Best Time to See THE CONJURING? Now

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Excellent piece on how audiences can ruin THE CONJURING, and I particularly found this comment dead on:
it’s equally true that the film is far more terrifying now, eight weeks in and playing to mostly empty auditoriums, then it was opening weekend surrounded by people jostling, whispering, and chewing the whole damned time.
http://www.filmschoolrejects.com/opinio ... rience.php

Monterey Jack

Re: The Best Time to See THE CONJURING? Now

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

I guess I was blessed...I had a fairly well-attended theater, but you could practically hear a pin drop through my matinee. Everyone seemed to be totally engrossed and respectful, and I can't recall a single cell phone flashing in my peripheral vision. Someone on another board I frequent, however, had a horror story far scarier than anything that transpired on-screen at his showing. :( I'd re-print it here, but the abundant profanity might upset some. :wink:

Mike Skerritt

#3 Post by Mike Skerritt »

My screening was mostly fine (surprisingly) except that the idiot in front of me brought her 9-year-old daughter, who was terrified out of her mind for most of it. She asked to leave a half hour in and the mom basically chuckled as if to say "Oh child"

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Mike Skerritt wrote:My screening was mostly fine (surprisingly) except that the idiot in front of me brought her 9-year-old daughter, who was terrified out of her mind for most of it. She asked to leave a half hour in and the mom basically chuckled as if to say "Oh child"

Oh God, I despise parents who take their ten-and-under kids to R-rated movies. :? Not only are you going to terrify and/or bore the kids, you're going to ruin the experience of everyone else in the theater while your kids rightfully cry, fidget and demand to be taken home for the entire running time. :evil: If you can't afford a babysitter, STAY AT HOME.
Last edited by Monterey Jack on Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Skerritt

#5 Post by Mike Skerritt »

Monterey Jack wrote:
Mike Skerritt wrote:My screening was mostly fine (surprisingly) except that the idiot in front of me brought her 9-year-old daughter, who was terrified out of her mind for most of it. She asked to leave a half hour in and the mom basically chuckled as if to say "Oh child"

Oh God, I despise parents who take their ten-and-under kids to R-rated movies. :? Not only are you going to terrify and/or bore the kids, you're going to ruin the experience of everyone else in the theater whole your kids rightfully cry, fidget and demand to be taken home for the entire running time. :evil: If you can't afford a babysitter, STAY AT HOME.
The poor girl spent most of the time face to face with me because she had he arms wrapped around her mom. It actually didn't bother me until later because I was so engrossed in the movie, but as a parent I wrestled with whether to say anything to her. Because to me that kind of behavior borders on abusive. If the girl had been screaming or visibly, traumatically upset it would've been a different story, but since I mostly wasn't bothered I let it go.