STAR WARS Standalone #2 Hires "Chronicle" Director

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

STAR WARS Standalone #2 Hires "Chronicle" Director

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Another day, another STAR WARS movie... :lol:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/chronic ... ars-movie/
BREAKING: Disney and Lucasfilm are wasting no time moving along on its Star Wars films. They’ve just set Chronicle helmer Josh Trank, who’s next directing the Fantastic Four reboot at Fox.

It is the second big hire of a hot young director for the franchise. After the monster Godzilla opening, director Gareth Edwards was set for an Untitled Star Wars 3D stand-alone film, which Disney has dated for a December 16, 2016 release. Going young like this makes me more bullish on what is happening here, because I felt that Lucas steered the last three films to a sense of complacency that I felt hobbled the franchise. Lucasfilm is lucky these directors grew up with the original groundbreaking trilogy, making these hot young shooters desperate to be involved here.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Josh into the family,” says Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy. “He is such an incredible talent and has a great imagination and sense of innovation. That makes him perfectly suited to Star Wars, and for this new slate of movies that reach beyond the core characters and storylines of Episodes I through IX.”

Trank states, “The magic of the Star Wars Universe defined my entire childhood. The opportunity to expand on that experience for future generations is the most incredible dream of all time.”

This will come after Star Wars: Episode VII, which JJ Abrams will direct from a script he wrote with Lawrence Kasdan and which Disney will release December 18, 2015. John Boyega, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Domhnall Gleeson, Max von Sydow, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Mark Hamill, Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew, and Kenny Baker are starring, and just added were 12 Years A Slave Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o and Gwendoline Christie, currently starring in the HBO’s hit series Game Of Thrones as Brienne of Tarth. She is also in The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2.