MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Paul MacLean

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread - Trailer

#16 Post by Paul MacLean »

Bwtween the trailer and my friend's impressions, I agree, this movie promises to be solid...and probably a lot more.

Sure, I'd love to see Junkie XL replaced by James Horner or Alan Silvestri, but even so, I'm pretty psyched!

AndyDursin

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread - Trailer

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Bonkers trailer is even more enjoyable than the first one!

mkaroly

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread - New Trailer

#18 Post by mkaroly »

I tried a long time ago to get into these films - saw the first two and they didn't do anything for me. I never saw BEYOND THUNDERDOME...I will end up skipping this one.

Paul MacLean

#19 Post by Paul MacLean »

mkaroly wrote:I tried a long time ago to get into these films - saw the first two and they didn't do anything for me. I never saw BEYOND THUNDERDOME...I will end up skipping this one.
They're unquestionably violent and raw, but I found them very thrilling and visceral experiences. The second film has a very epic scope (and score) as well.

Thunderdome however was a complete turd, and the most disappointing sequel ever made. Its only saving grace is Maurice Jarre's score...

AndyDursin

#20 Post by AndyDursin »

Damn this looks good!

New Japanese trailer:

Paul MacLean

#21 Post by Paul MacLean »

I haven't been this excited about a movie in over ten years!

Paul MacLean

#22 Post by Paul MacLean »

iTunes has Junkie XL's "score" available for purchase.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/mad-m ... d981700350

He aint Maurice Jarre, that's for sure. :|

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Hardy said today he is signed for 3 additional films if it comes to that....but by Miller's standards he will probably be 80 by the time they make another one lol

Paul MacLean

#24 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Hardy said today he is signed for 3 additional films if it comes to that....but by Miller's standards he will probably be 80 by the time they make another one lol
Maybe they can make one about the "feral child" when he finally is an old man and "chief of the great northern tribe"!

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

Not directly related to FURY ROAD but I received the new Shout Blu-Ray of MAD MAX and thought I'd pass on some quick comments.

The only reason I can see to pick up the Shout disc is a 30 minute assemblage of new interviews with Mel Gibson, Joanne Samuel and David Eggby. Gibson -- who looks as healthy and "with it" as I've seen in years -- is outgoing and gives some interesting anecdotes about working on the film, though his video has a herky-jerky quality to it, almost like a frame is missing at times. There are also lots and lots of film clips interspersed, which started to irritate me because I'd have rather just had the interviews presented as is (like Kino is doing), without the clips breaking up the stories. Ultimately it's nice to see Gibson and Samuel, but it's not "essential".

Other than that, the disc has nothing new, and the transfer is a tiny step down from the current MGM release -- it's a new encode of the same source, and if you've seen Shout's Blu-Ray transfers, you know they have a small but noticeable encoding issue, which is why I always prefer to buy a release from another label if it's available (i.e. the Universal HALLOWEEN II is better than their HALLOWEEN II). They've done some good work, obviously, but this is a case where something better is already out there, and their transfer doesn't quite match up.

AndyDursin

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread - Andy Reviews Shout Blu-Ray

#26 Post by AndyDursin »

Apparently Mel surprised the entire cast and George Miller by making an unannounced appearance at the premiere, looking fit and excited:
Gibson's late, unexpected arrival at the TLC Chinese Theatre resulted in crazy cheers from the fans who lined the red carpet at the Hollywood venue. "Mel was on fine form," a premiere-goer told Us Weekly. "Slapping backs, hugging people, laughing and generally looking thrilled to be there."
Like I wrote above, he seems energized and healthy now and poised for a SERIOUS comeback. Will Miller engage him for a future MAD MAX sequel? That would be awesome.

sprocket

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread - Mel Surprise at LA Premiere

#27 Post by sprocket »

Looking forward to this movie :)

And Tomorrowland.

Paul MacLean

Re: MAD MAX: FURY ROAD Thread - Andy Reviews Shout Blu-Ray

#28 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:Will Miller engage him for a future MAD MAX sequel? That would be awesome.
Unfortunately that doesn't sound like it's going to happen, at least according to this...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... cn=puff-14

Still...that doesn't rule out the possibility of Gibson directing one of the sequels, something I'd love to see happen -- if only to hear James Horner score it!

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Variety review -- pretty much a rave save this line:
"...for viewers not on the film’s specific wavelength, even a minute of this stuff will be hard to take"
http://variety.com/2015/film/markets-fe ... 201491726/

Monterey Jack

#30 Post by Monterey Jack »

Drew McWeeney at HitFix gave it his customary A+...the same "highest possible grade to give to a movie" rating he gave The Muppets and Man Of Steel. :lol: