GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) Headed For Massive Loss

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

GHOSTBUSTERS (2016) Headed For Massive Loss

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

So is this going to take the place of the Aykroyd sequel that's been languishing for years? Frankly, wouldn't that be for the best? With no Ramis, no Bill Murray...why even go down that road? For once, I think this is a smarter idea. Nobody could figure out how to make GHOSTBUSTERS III and it seems the ship sailed a long time ago...so I don't blame them for doing this instead.

Feig is as hot a comedy director as there is coming off THE HEAT and BRIDESMAIDS. He's good with female ensembles, he has solid comic timing...this is a good choice because the focus would be on comedy and not VFX with him being hired.

And a female cast? Well, at least I can see that working more than a cast of young, bland and boring guys from SNL. Would be interesting to see who they tap.

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/paul- ... 201274332/
Paul Feig is being courted to direct and produce a “Ghostbusters” comedy reboot.

Feig is not helming “Ghostbusters 3″ or another sequel, in any sense of the word, as has been incorrectly reported.

The movie is a total reboot most likely with female characters played by comedic actresses in the ghostbusting roles, according to sources. The script will be written from scratch.

Feig, who is best known for helming the comedy hits “Bridesmaids” and “The Heat,” has been in conversation with Sony to direct the project. However, no formal negotiations have taken place yet. Sony declined to comment.

Feig is also re-teaming with Melissa McCarthy to direct her latest comedy “Spy,” which is slated for a Memorial Day 2015 release. The director has several new scripts in development at Fox that will likely be ready to go while he’s at work on “Spy” so this “Ghostbusters” fem reboot will not necessarily be his next film.

“Ghostbusters 3″ was initially supposed to be directed by Ivan Reitman, the director of the original “Ghostbusters” and its 1989 follow-up, “Ghostbusters II,” but he dropped out in March. It’s unclear whether another director will be chosen for that project or if this reboot will take its place.

“Men in Black 3″ writer Etan Cohen was brought on broad in 2012 to redraft “Ghostbusters 3.” “The Office” scribes Lee Eisenberg and Gene Stupnitsky were hired in 2008 to revive the blockbuster franchise.

Monterey Jack

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS Reboot - Female Cast, Sequel DOA?

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Ghostbusters III with the original cast would be as sad as Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull at this point, especially since Harold Ramis is gone and Bill Murray wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. Why it needs to be a "reboot" I don't know, however...just set it in another city (or even country) as part of a franchise of Ghostbuster services. An all-female cast? Why not?

DavidBanner

#3 Post by DavidBanner »

I would prefer they just leave it alone. I'm perfectly happy with the existing Blu-ray we have of the original Ghostbusters, as well as with the DVD that has the MST3K commentary. I'm experiencing something like "reboot fatigue", I think.

Eric W.

#4 Post by Eric W. »

I'm with David although in this case if we're making a choice I definitely have to favor "start fresh."

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

Monterey Jack wrote:Ghostbusters III with the original cast would be as sad as Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull
Nothing could be as sad as Crystal Skull, unless it's Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. :D
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like the August Deadline report nailed it.

Paul Feig has confirmed GHOSTBUSTERS (III) with the female cast is a "go" and Katie Dippold who wrote THE HEAT is in charge of the script.

Given my affection for THE HEAT, I like it. The female cast will also make any inevitable comparisons with the old '80s films moot...this is its own film and isn't really a sequel, so I'm more than good with it.

Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Emma Stone, Kristen Bell, Rebel Wilson...they've got a lot of good options for comediennes out there. Will be curious to see who they go with (though McCarthy is making a fortune carrying her own movies, I'm not sure they'd want to shell out all of those dollars unless they're really serious about it).

And with all due respect to Dan Aykroyd, like we said before, with Ramis gone, Murray uninterested, and Aykroyd having had countless chances to hack at it over the years -- this was the wiser idea on Sony's part. And the female demographic will be driven to the film...as will the built-in audience the series has. Let's hope it's good :)

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news ... g-20141008
Who’s Paul Feig gonna call for the officially confirmed Ghostbusters 3? A cast of hilarious women to star in the film, according to the Bridesmaids director’s tweet on Wednesday. The long-anticipated third installment will be rejuvenated and totally separated from the original films. The Heat writer Katie Dippold will replace Dan Aykroyd, who had been writing (and rewriting) the third script for three years.

Though Bill Murray won’t be the one yielding a proton pack in Ghostbusters 3, he named a few funny women whom he thinks could do the job just as well. Speaking to the Toronto Star at the Toronto International Film Festival, Murray name-checked Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Linda Cardellini and Emma Stone.

While the lead roles have yet to be cast, one actress, at least, seems game. During a September press conference, Wiig told Yahoo!, "I will do whatever Bill Murray tells me to do." A stern, "That will run everywhere," came from her publicist in the other room, with the actress responding, "I know, that’s why I said it."

In a response to the Star, McCarthy wasn’t as ready to battle green glob-shaped ghosts as Wiig. She said taking on a movie that legendary would be daunting, but that she "would do anything with those ladies, anything at all."

Feig is taking over from Ivan Reitman, the director of the first two films who removed himself from the director's chair earlier this year. "I suddenly felt that Ghostbusters didn’t necessarily need me as a director," he told SuperheroHype. "Having done the other two and with the passing of Harold [Ramis] and with Bill Murray seeming disinterested in being in it, I thought it was better for me just to produce it and to make sure we’re going to have the quality and style of what is appropriate for another version of that film. But the franchise could benefit from somebody else’s point of view."

The film is expected to begin filming next year, but no official release date has been revealed. For Ghostbusters’ fans, the news came just in time for the franchise’s 30th anniversary.

Eric W.

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS Is a Go - Female Cast, Paul Feig Directing

#7 Post by Eric W. »

Could be a hit. I think this is a smart move given everything.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Info is out from the Sony hacks -- no surprise here, I'd be good with all of these names!

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... Exclusives
The Ghostbusters Film May Star Jennifer Lawrence, Emma Stone, and Melissa McCarthy

An email dated October 8, 2014, from Pascal to Ivan Reitman, director/producer of the original Ghostbusters film, revealed some key details about the planned reboot, scheduled for release ideally sometime in summer 2016:

“Agree that everyone is way too nervous about how this issue and how we. present it but it's isn't a sequel to the 80s movies and it is gonna be totally original with completely different characters and our job is to find a clever way to connect the movie to the original franchise so that we can use all the assets and everything that is great about the original franchise,” the email read. “Paul's movie is gonna be the first one and from what I'm hearing jennifer lawrence and Emma stone and Melissa McCarthy and Amy schumer and liszzy [Lizzy] Kaplan just to name a few have already said thy wanted to be in....”

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

They are seriously going to cast 3 CURRENT members of SNL in this? I can see them be unfunny every week for free! (and they are -- the show flat out sucks)

No issue with McCarthy and Wiig, but I'm guessing the former's salary precluded them from all the "big names" they were initially going after (as if that was ever a reality or not, is anyone's guess).

Anyway, between this and Chris Pratt as Indiana Jones, it's safe to say it's been a lousy day for rebooting casting lol.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... ast-767610

DavidBanner

Re: GHOSTBUSTERS Is a Go - Melissa McCarthy & The Cast of SN

#10 Post by DavidBanner »

I'm truly sorry that I won't be able to see this movie.
Wait a second.
No, I'm not.

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

They could have just made this a sketch on SNL and not asked anyone to pay to see it.

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

Why did this HAVE to be an all-female cast? Why not a mix?

Oh yeah, because it's an easy "pitch" ("It's Ghostbusters, but they're all chicks!").

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

I still have no problem with the female cast -- it's putting 3 CURRENT SNL cast members in it (plus a recent alumnus) that I don't like. Leslie Jones is just unbelievably unfunny...a walking stereotype of a LOUD BLACK WOMAN who has really done nothing to warrant being casting in something like this. Didn't Lorne Michaels add her to the SNL cast to begin with because of all the pressure he was getting for not having enough African-Americans on it?

It's just curious after what they were hyping. It'd be like making GHOSTBUSTERS back in 1984 with Joe Piscopo, Brad Hall and Gilbert Gottfried!

mkaroly

#14 Post by mkaroly »

Gilbert Gottfried...lol...his complete disregard for PC-ness and the way he tells jokes cracks me up sometimes. He makes me uncomfortable other times.

I cannot stand the new SNL - I tuned out a long time ago but every now and then I will turn it on to see what the new cast is doing. I have yet to laugh at something. Horrible show. And putting SNL women in G3 is a horrible idea. Unfunny - fully agree Andy!

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Whatever happened to getting actresses with good comedic chops who can actually open a movie, like Emma Stone and Jennifer Lawrence? :? Oh yeah, that would cost money.