EIGHT BELOW: The First Big Surprise of 2006?

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

EIGHT BELOW: The First Big Surprise of 2006?

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Just looking at the reviews for Disney's EIGHT BELOW and it seems this could be a surprise hit...the notices that have come out so far have been nothing short of glowing, saying it's not just one of Disney's best live-action films in years, but one of their very finest possibly EVER.

Good to see Frank Marshall back and directing -- and the crew is similarly top-flight across the board (cinematographer Don Burgess, Mark Isham doing the score, etc.). Throw that together with overflowing praise, an interesting concept, and the fact that even Paul Walker is apparently good in the movie (for the first time ever?), I'm going to be checking this one out.

PS -- This is a very, very loose adaptation of a story that also inspired the Japanese film ANTARCTICA, which had a memorable score by Vangelis and equally vivid scenary as EIGHT BELOW apparently does.

Eric W.

#2 Post by Eric W. »

Nice! Something to keep an eye out for.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Looks like junk to me. Dogs playing poker...? :roll:

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Monterey Jack wrote:Looks like junk to me. Dogs playing poker...? :roll:
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. It is a Disney movie, and chances are they put quick shots like that in the ad to satisfy the family audience. By all accounts it's pretty darned good, and nothing like SNOW DOGS, that's for sure :)