JESUS OF NAZARETH 4K UHD Possibly Coming in Italy

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

JESUS OF NAZARETH 4K UHD Possibly Coming in Italy

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Don't know what version they'll be using at this point, but a good choice from Shout:

Eric Paddon

Re: JESUS OF NAZARETH Blu-Ray Coming from Shout (February)

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

I would hope they make sure it is 100% complete with no missing footage seen in previous video releases. If they do I will gladly get it!

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

The issue is that most of the HD masters are not the longest version. Not sure what Shout has access to but it's probably the same ITV master that's been released everywhere else.

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote:I would hope they make sure it is 100% complete with no missing footage seen in previous video releases. If they do I will gladly get it!
What is missing from the other versions? I originally taped it off NBC in the late 80s, and when I was watching it years later on TBN I noticed the scene where the man tells Mary "Blessed are you among women" was cut. I was never sure if this was because they only had access to a shortened version, or if TBN intentionally cut that scene for being a "Catholic embellishment".

In any case this is great news. I just hope this Blu-ray menu is easier to navigate than the one on the Mexican Blu-ray!

Eric Paddon

#5 Post by Eric Paddon »

I think the Mexican DVD release that was touted as better than the old Artisan one I have (which for me is the complete cut content wise but is missing the individual parts and end credits and has just a single open and end credits) was missing one key scene of Judas being duped by Zerah (Ian Holm).

Paul MacLean

#6 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote:I think the Mexican DVD release that was touted as better than the old Artisan one I have (which for me is the complete cut content wise but is missing the individual parts and end credits and has just a single open and end credits) was missing one key scene of Judas being duped by Zerah (Ian Holm).
One of the things that bugged me about the VHS and DVD releases was that there was no credit for Maurice Jarre! Parts one and two credited him, but the slower credits sequence at the end of part three somehow neglected to mention him, and the video releases (as you say) did not include the credits from those first to parts.

Eric Paddon

#7 Post by Eric Paddon »

Are you sure about that? The old VHS release and the Artisan DVD I'm sure did include a credit for Jarre.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric Paddon wrote:Are you sure about that? The old VHS release and the Artisan DVD I'm sure did include a credit for Jarre.
There's a credit on the cover artwork, but the credits sequence for part three has never mentioned him in any version I ever saw.

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

Don't waste your money on this release. They're releasing a cut version and in effect going back to the cut of the first VHS release. The number of times I have seen Shout screw up a release would fill a book and it boggles my mind how this studio always gets treated by a lot of groupies at HTF as the savior of TV on DVD and how it gets a free pass for its screwups in ways they never do for a major studio releasing DVD/Blu-Ray material. I will not watch any version unless its complete so if that means sticking with the old Artisan DVD so be it.

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

In this case, it's not Shout's fault. The HD master was prepared by ITV and it's the same master that's been released elsewhere in the world. Shout does nothing but license the master...they don't produce the transfer or have a say in its mastering, just as Twilight Time licenses titles from MGM or Fox.

Now I don't know why ITV chose the cut version for high-def. From what I've read, the footage in question was cut from the initial U.S. TV broadcast too -- was there a reason why?

A better option would be the Spanish Blu, which I just received the other day. The Spanish release DOES have the missing footage cut into it -- it's been taken from the DVD or some kind of standard-def source -- but it's not a jarring transition. I just picked it up myself -- it's under $20 shipped and got here within a week. 8) (It's also region free, English audio, and would be the same HD print as all the other releases, just with those 10 minutes inserted in from an inferior source)

Paul MacLean

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

Thanks for the heads-up Eric! I went and canceled my pre-order!

Andy, does the Spanish BD have that same, confusing menu as the Mexican disc?

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

It does not -- though the only thing confusing was the fact that the Episode selection was in Spanish. It really was not confusing once you knew what to highlight!

I do recommend the Spanish release, very cheap and the .es shipping is quick.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

A good recap of the various video versions around the world:

http://jcofnazareth.wix.com/jesusofnaza ... out1/c18px

Paul MacLean

#14 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote:A good recap of the various video versions around the world:

http://jcofnazareth.wix.com/jesusofnaza ... out1/c18px
Thanks for link! So, the Australian Blu-ray is also the complete cut? Do you think this is a better bet than the Spanish (if only for a more easily readable menu)?

AndyDursin

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

I'd buy the Spanish it should be cheaper. You will not be confused by the menu and I believe the bit rate is higher because the Australian is only 1 disc (the Spanish release is 2).