10 Cloverfield Lane

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
BobaMike

10 Cloverfield Lane

#1 Post by BobaMike »

New trailer out for the latest Bad Robot production. It was previously titled Valencia. Does this new title connect it somehow to Cloverfield (the monster flick)?

A very good trailer...and Andy, I almost cross-posted this in the MEW thread for you.

AndyDursin

Re: 10 Cloverfield Lane

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

A horror remake of BLAST FROM THE PAST? :lol:

Quite obviously there is a connection with CLOVERFIELD here. Can't imagine it's a coincidence that it's the first word that shows up when the title is revealed in this trailer (look how it prominently says CLOVERFIELD before the rest of the title blends in).

I can't believe it's just Abrams messing with fans and it's a mere coincidence...which gets me a little excited about this film.

BobaMike

#3 Post by BobaMike »

I'm looking forward to it....not a big John Goodman fan, but he hasn't played the crazy, bad (?) guy often. My favorite parts of Lost involved the bunker, so this scratches that itch.

My only fear is that it'll end up being like the Village, where the "secret" being hidden is pretty lame.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Oh Mary, sweet Mary, finally a big-screen role I will actually be able to SEE on the big screen! :D

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

BobaMike wrote:I'm looking forward to it....not a big John Goodman fan, but he hasn't played the crazy, bad (?) guy often. My favorite parts of Lost involved the bunker, so this scratches that itch.

My only fear is that it'll end up being like the Village, where the "secret" being hidden is pretty lame.
Well if it's actually a CLOVERFIELD sequel/spin-off, we already know what's up there right??

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

According to Collider, Lane was originally a post-apocalyptic drama titled Valencia and/or The Cellar, but Abrams told the site the film was always considered a “blood relative” of Cloverfield. “We wanted to hold back the title for as long as possible,” he said. It was only late this week—when the 10 Cloverfield Lane teaser started popping up in theaters before the just-released 13 Hours—that the film’s true identity was revealed. All we know for sure is that web-show veteran Dan Trachtenberg is directing, and that Whiplash writer-director Damien Chazelle helped work on the script. We’ll find out more (maybe?) when 10 Cloverfield Lane opens March 11.

Pause at: 1:23 as Winstead gets a glimpse of what’s outside—and at 1:24, for the look of quiet terror on her face.
Essential Quote: “Something’s coming.”
http://www.wired.com/2016/01/heres-the- ... al_twitter

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Even better Super Bowl ad leaves no doubt this is a sequel/spin off whatever...

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

All out rave from Variety, saying it's a "semi sequel" that far surpasses the original CLOVERFIELD:

http://variety.com/2016/film/reviews/10 ... 201724874/

BobaMike

#9 Post by BobaMike »

My wife and I have off Friday, so I hope to send our kid to day care and head to the Alamo Drafthouse to see this and have lunch. Glad to hear it's a good flick! I didn't want to read much of the review in case it spoiled the movie :)

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

Yeah I didn't read much either after the top paragraph, though I don't think it was heavy on spoilers.

We've got Theo's 2nd birthday this weekend so I'm going to have to wait until my friend can go with me early next week...I will be tuning out of this thread until then!

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

MEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEWMEW :D

BobaMike

#12 Post by BobaMike »

Saw the movie this afternoon...it was very good! If you liked the early seasons of LOST (where it focused on the hatch), you will love it. It was a bit too scary/intense for the wife though.

Some minor spoilers below:

-----spoilers----

Almost all of the stuff in the trailer is from the first 30 minutes..which I enjoyed, because I wasn't sure what would happen next. There are a grand total of four people in the movie, and the main three held my attention till the end.
It was almost 2 movies in one- the bunker movie for 75% of the running time, then an alien invasion movie for the last bit.

John Goodman was excellent. He played the crazy conspiracy nut perfectly, but really, he was correct about everything! He was also an insane creep, and I liked that you had to fill in the blanks a little about what happened to his daughter.

MEW was good. Sadly, she's only in her underwear for a little bit.

The Bear McCreary score was very effective, but no memorable themes sadly. Nothing to compare to Giacchino's Cloverfield end credits.

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

8/10 (SPOILERS)
BobaMike wrote:It was almost 2 movies in one- the bunker movie for 75% of the running time, then an alien invasion movie for the last bit.
This movie kind of feels like Abrams' Super 8 in that regard...in that film, it was like someone smooshed the screenplays for Jaws and E.T. into one film, resulting in an odd tonal discord. 10 Cloverfield Land (which has absolutely NOTHING to do with Cloverfield, unless I missed it, and I watched that film again just last night for a refresher). Here, it's like Desmond's hatch scenes from Lost suddenly morphing into Falling Skies or something. Both portions of the film are very effective, but still, a LOT of people are gonna hate this once they realize what the hell is going on outside...it's like this SUPERB, tense setup for what basically ends up as an "outta the fying pan and into the fire" shaggy dog joke.
MEW was good. Sadly, she's only in her underwear for a little bit.

At least she was barefoot the whole time. :lol: Winstead is great in the film, but then again, when is she not? She looks awesome, gets to indulge her inner Sigourney Weaver, and overall it's lovely just to see her in a real MOVIE for a change...how I wish she'd get off her direct-to-streaming indie kick and give her fans more of a chance to see her on the big screen. :(
The Bear McCreary score was very effective, but no memorable themes sadly. Nothing to compare to Giacchino's Cloverfield end credits.
I happened to dig McCreary's score a lot...it's not brimming with hummable melodies, but then again, this is not the kind of film that would really require that. He juices up the tension beautifully (and -- yes -- Craig Huxley is credited with the Blaster Beam in the end credits :D), and maintains an atmosphere of lushly foreboding dread. I have almost none of his music on CD (save for The Cape, and I only took a chance on that because LLL was selling it for five bucks recently), but I'll definitely pick this up at some point. It's heartening to hear proper, Herrmann-style suspense music in a movie again. :)

Paul MacLean

#14 Post by Paul MacLean »

I thought it was effectively suspenseful and well-acted...but unrelentingly unpleasant, even repellent. Bear McCreary's score was just another modern-day "suspense score" -- i.e. loud, blunt and simplistic. I didn't care for the film at all.

BobaMike

#15 Post by BobaMike »

Paul MacLean wrote:I thought it was effectively suspenseful and well-acted...but unrelentingly unpleasant, even repellent. Bear McCreary's score was just another modern-day "suspense score" -- i.e. loud, blunt and simplistic. I didn't care for the film at all.
May I ask what was repellent about it? All of the characters had moments of humor (even the villain), and the only "gross" part was what happened to the one character and the acid. Nothing was lingered on- it was not really a gross-out movie. The ending was upbeat as well.