Release Date Shuffle '17: Star Wars, Spidey, Pirates Move

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Release Date Shuffle '17: Star Wars, Spidey, Pirates Move

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

STAR WARS moves out of summer 2017 to Christmas 2017 (no surprise really given how much $$ this took in)

PIRATES 5 moves up from July to May, taking STAR WARS' slot

SPIDER-MAN (Sony's third stab at the character) moves up to early July, taking PIRATES' place

The JUMANJI remake moves to late July, taking SPIDEY's spot (it was supposed to open Christmas of this year, even though it hasn't even started shooting yet!)

jkholm

Re: Release Date Shuffle '17: Star Wars, Spidey, Pirates Mov

#2 Post by jkholm »

AndyDursin wrote:STAR WARS moves out of summer 2017 to Christmas 2017 (no surprise really given how much $$ this took in)
While I'm looking forward to the next few Star Wars movies, the release date means there won't be much else to see in theaters around Christmas time except for Star Wars. At least in the summer, the big movies are spread around. The other studios are going to be afraid to release something big anywhere near SW. How long before Warner Brothers decides to change the release date for Ready Player One, currently the same day as Episode VIII?

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

You're absolutely right John. And it's going to be this way for literally years to come now. What will be interesting is if Fox moves the Avatar sequel around...not that I'm actuslly looking forward to that as an example of 'counter programming' lol

BobaMike

#4 Post by BobaMike »

I just hope the same date for Star Wars and Ready Player One doesn't mean that John Williams has to drop one for the other. Of course I don't think he was ever really confirmed to be scoring Episode 8...

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

With an accelerated release schedule I assume "the sooner the better" means Williams can score Episode VIII, and I think the intention is for him to finish this trilogy. At least I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

I am making a not-very-out-there prediction, though: he won't be conducting much of it, based on Ross and Dudamel both being involved with The Force Awakens. I can only imagine "the process" was a taxing and tiresome one for him -- or really any composer -- and going forward, it would make sense for him to delegate more of the physical work to others.

I agree, I hope it doesn't keep him out of scoring another film though READY PLAYER ONE, if it actually gets made, doesn't seem to be a project suited for a Williams score...more like Daft Punk or something, based on what little I know of the material.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: I agree, I hope it doesn't keep him out of scoring another film though READY PLAYER ONE, if it actually gets made, doesn't seem to be a project suited for a Williams score...more like Daft Punk or something, based on what little I know of the material.
I've read the book, and seeing how it's basically a Family Guy 80's fanservice cutaway expanded to feature-length, Williams probably would be forced to "write around" a lot of pre-existing film and pop music from that decade (including his own!). Probably not the most dramatically nourishing thing he could expend his efforts on, but it's Spielberg, so if he can fit it into his schedule, I'm sure he'll do it (as he would have with Bridge Of Spies were it not for the double-whammy of the endless Star Wars recording sessions and his health problems).

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Probably not the most dramatically nourishing thing he could expend his efforts on
That's what I was getting at. At this stage of his career, it wouldn't surprise me if he bypasses this one despite it being a Spielberg film...of course, until it starts shooting, you never know. Spielberg bails out of projects time after time.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

How long before Warner Brothers decides to change the release date for Ready Player One, currently the same day as Episode VIII?
Less than a month!

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4154&p=.htm

Get ready for the next two or three Christmas movie seasons: STAR WARS, some R-rated "counter programming" sex comedy, and holdovers from November. :?
Warner Bros. has adjusted their release schedule following Disney's decision a few weeks ago to move Star Wars: Episode VIII from May 26, 2017 to December 15, 2017. The move put the next episode in the Star Wars saga directly opposite Steven Spielberg's adaptation of Ernest Cline's Ready Player One, which left WB no choice but to search for a new date. As it turns out, they decided March 2018 would pretty much be all theirs.

Ready Player One is now set for a March 30, 2018 release date where it will currently face off against one of Universal's upcoming Monster Universe films, believed to be the new incarnation of The Wolf Man.
I wonder if they meant THE INVISIBLE MAN seeing as Depp was confirmed yesterday to be starring.