SOLO: A Star Wars Story - May 25th - "I've Got a Bad Feeling About This"

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story - May 25th - "I've Got a Bad Feeling About This"

#46 Post by AndyDursin »

* star...and this is from someone who LIKED The Last Jedi and Rogue One.

143 minutes too?!?! :roll:
‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ is a long, boring space slog

https://nypost.com/2018/05/15/solo-a-st ... pace-slog/

It’s “How I Met Your Wookiee”!

That’s the gist of “Solo: A Star Wars Story,” the latest entry in the sci-fi film franchise, in which a young-ish Han Solo goes from wisecracking space chauffeur to weighty leading man.

Like 2016’s “Rogue One,” “Solo” is a prequel that sets up “Star Wars: Episode IV — A New Hope.” Here, Han meets Chewbacca! Han first flies the Millennium Falcon! Han makes the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs!

But unlike the smashing “Rogue One,” “Solo” is a low-stakes trudge through the stars. “So Long” is more like it.

The prequel explains how Han (Alden Ehrenreich) succumbed to a life of smuggling, and eventually wound up on the desert planet of Tatooine. That’s a lot less enticing a premise than, say, how Anakin Skywalker went from cherub to dark lord, or where has Luke been squatting since 1983? But there it is.

It turns out Han was born on a lawless world called Corellia, where he learned how to be a pilot, and frolicked with his girlfriend Qi’ra, played by Emilia Clarke, who is far more interesting when flanked by dragons. Running away from home, he joins the Empire as a soldier. (Strange this never came up in the original trilogy when he was, um, fighting the Empire.)

Eventually Han ditches the Stormtroopers to hang out with some different sleaze balls — including Woody Harrelson and Thandie Newton — on a heist, stealing a plutonium-like substance that can power ships or destroy planets. Out-of-place Harrelson wins the Laura Dern “What Am I Doing Here?” Award for this flick.

For the rest of the film, director Ron Howard whooshes us from ugly smog-filled planet to ugly smog-filled planet as the gang tries to complete their mission, not so much saving the galaxy as saving their own asses. The bad guy, crime lord Dryden Vos (Paul Bettany), resembles the worst kind of Pierce Brosnan-era “James Bond” villains. He’s got a bunch of unexplained scars, a vague eccentricity and no menace. You’ll forget him by the time you reach the parking lot.

Donald Glover is amusing as Lando Calrissian, whom he turns into a vainglorious space Casanova. And all of the film’s wit belongs to Phoebe Waller-Bridge as the voice of L3-37, a sassy droid who wants to liberate her nuts-and-bolts kind.

As for Ehrenreich, the 28-year-old actor is a major emerging talent. He was exceptional in “Hail, Caesar!” and here he is a likable, believable romantic lead. But that’s all. Poor Ehrenreich has been set up to fail by being given an impossible task: to make us forget about Harrison Ford, easily the most iconic action hero in modern cinema. No actor alive can match Ford’s unique mix of humor, easygoing heroics and all-American ’tude. He’s the only person who could sell a stand-alone Han Solo movie.

Disney was bound to hit a wall sooner or later. The studio has been cranking out “Star Wars” movies with the rapidity of chocolates on Lucy and Ethel’s conveyor belt. Everything started out dandy, but now they’re scrambling to keep up with the demands of cranky fans, troublesome talent and truly crazy annual release dates. Four movies in less than three years is a lot of celestial battles. “Solo” is the first victim of that madcap pace — a movie so un-fun you should get college credit for watching it.

Next year’s “Episode IX,” I suspect, will end the latest trilogy with a bang. But “Solo,” sadly, should be frozen forever in carbonite.

Paul MacLean

#47 Post by Paul MacLean »

I'm confused. This movie has Han Solo, Chewbacca, blaster fights, spaceship chases -- exactly like the original Star Wars. How can it not be brilliant with all those ingredients? :roll:

AndyDursin

#48 Post by AndyDursin »

Not planning on seeing the film theatrically but Powell's scoring is light-years beyond Giacchino. At least it has that going for it. Williams' new theme doesn't do a ton for me, but I actually found Powell's score more enjoyable than listening to THE LAST JEDI album. :shock:

Paul MacLean

#49 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Fri May 25, 2018 11:21 am Williams' new theme doesn't do a ton for me, but I actually found Powell's score more enjoyable than listening to THE LAST JEDI album. :shock:
Wash your mouth out with soap! :x

Here's Williams "Adventures of Han Solo" theme for anyone who hasn't heard it yet...

AndyDursin

#50 Post by AndyDursin »

There's just a real "sameness" to Williams' action scoring in these new films. You can hear it in this theme too -- the horns absolutely exhaust me. Sorry. :(

Paul MacLean

#51 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 1:08 am There's just a real "sameness" to Williams' action scoring in these new films. You can hear it in this theme too -- the horns absolutely exhaust me. Sorry. :(
While I did like the Last Jedi score, in all seriousness, I don't really understand John Williams' continued attachment to the Star Wars franchise. As you've noted Andy, these films are not the work of George Lucas, so there is no personal connection with an old friend and collaborator.

Perhaps in the case of Solo, the Ron Howard connection (going back to Far and Away) was enough to lure him on board. But still, Williams is one of the most sought-after film composers in the world -- and he's assuredly offered a lot more than just Star Wars pictures. I can't see how these movies offer him anything in the way of creative challenges -- they certainly don't give him much of a chance to "break new ground" or try anything new or different.

I would think an 86-year-old man who has been that successful would want to score more "meaningful" projects.

AndyDursin

#52 Post by AndyDursin »

Lol I thought you were being serious, I had the bar all ready to go :lol:

I of course agree with you on all of that...trying to remember now but did Williams get involved when Howard took the movie over?

Paul MacLean

#53 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 10:40 am Lol I thought you were being serious, I had the bar all ready to go :lol:
No, just having fun! :mrgreen:
AndyDursin wrote: I of course agree with you on all of that...trying to remember now but did Williams get involved when Howard took the movie over?
I'm not sure -- though I don't recall hearing about his involvement until Howard stepped-in to take over the reins.

KevinEK

#54 Post by KevinEK »

I saw the movie this evening. It was okay. A little too long and a little too busy. Worked best in the moments when Han Solo was actually piloting.
There's a serious head-scratcher cameo that generated some discussion between me and the friend who came to the showing with me. That cameo is clearly setting up for more Han Solo movies, but given this one's performance, I'm not certain that this will happen.
It's honestly not a bad movie, and it's certainly more entertaining than Riann Johnson's movie.

The actors are mostly pretty good, and there's a good feeling from the actor playing Solo, but he was never going to be able to replace Harrison Ford in the role.

As a sidenote, there were a couple of different parents in the audience who had brought very young children with them to the movie. Both sets of parents and kids left the movie about 30 minutes in and did not return.
The showing was about 1/3 full.

Edmund Kattak

#55 Post by Edmund Kattak »

I also saw it yesterday and thought it was entertaining - I liked it. In all honesty, I set myself up for huge disappointment but wasn't in the end. Yes I agree, Disney is really exploiting the franchise and watering it down to the point of non-relevance. I wish they would have released this in December so that the memory of THE LAST JEDI would fade a bit.

About the headscratcher - if it's the one I am thinking about. Does the appearance of said character even fall within the timeline of this story? It doesn't really make much sense to me, given what is going on in this film seems to happen way AFTER the events established previously. Again, if we are on the same page here, them I am truly baffled.

Besides, did Disney REALLY shoot their was by releasing everything in the first half of this year? Do they not have any good ones set for the post summer and into the holiday season. So far we have:

BLACK PANTHER - February
AVENGERS - April
SOLO - May
INCREDIBLES - June
ANT MAN & THE WASP - July

I guess they hope to reach the 2.5 billion mark by mid summer. Whatever. I just would have expected something in the latter half of the year.
Indeed,
Ed

KevinEK

#56 Post by KevinEK »

Disney does have three family-oriented movies set for release in November/December - Mary Poppins 2, Wreck it Ralph 2 and a Nutcracker movie. Nothing Marvel or Star Wars, but at least 2 of those appear to be aimed at big family audiences.

SPOILERS:

The appearance of our unexpected friend is not an odd comment on the timeline. It indeed takes place at the end of this movie’s story - about ten years after Ep IIII. Apparently, while we thought he was killed in Ep I, he was shown to have survived in the animated Clone Wars shows. He is shown here to be robotic below his waist, which would make sense given how things turned out for him in the earlier movie.

Edmund Kattak

#57 Post by Edmund Kattak »

KevinEK wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 11:34 am SPOILERS:

The appearance of our unexpected friend is not an odd comment on the timeline. It indeed takes place at the end of this movie’s story - about ten years after Ep IIII. Apparently, while we thought he was killed in Ep I, he was shown to have survived in the animated Clone Wars shows. He is shown here to be robotic below his waist, which would make sense given how things turned out for him in the earlier movie.
Ahh. That's the part I did not know. Beyond the first CLONE WARS movie, I've never seen the series. Nice to see they got the original actor to play the part :)
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#58 Post by AndyDursin »

Good analysis in the Reporter on the films failure:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... gy-1115233
Lucasfilm and Disney are facing a moment of reckoning.

Over Memorial Day weekend, they were jolted when Solo: A Star Wars Story battled hard to hit $103 million domestically and bombed overseas with $65 million. The film badly trailed the launch of fellow stand-alone pic Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, which debuted to $155 million domestically in 2016 on its way to topping $1.056 billion globally. At its current rate, Solo may not gross much more than $400 million....

KevinEK

#59 Post by KevinEK »

I had a huge argument about this with a non-industry friend who works in finance. We saw the movie together, and afterward, when I noted the movie was okay but a bit long and busy, I also noted that the movie was not doing the box office it should. I particularly noted that it was bombing in the international box office. He took exception to this, saying that I didn't understand finance and that Disney would make money anyway on the merchandising and on all their various business interests that continue to profit on these movies. He also thought Disney wouldn't have needed to take loans out for the movie, or spend any more on the marketing than they would for a smaller budgeted film. I tried to explain the rule of threes to him (that any movie usually needs to make back nearly 3 times its production cost to earn back the marketing budget and the compounded interest on the loans) but he couldn't grasp it. He seemed to be stuck on the idea that there was some other kind of finance involved here, and I finally gave up trying to persuade him. I could never get a word in edgewise that the merchandising and ancillary products are already dialed into these equations - the movies are expected to generate those figures anyway, and when the movies don't do well, those numbers usually drop with the box office.

The reality is that it looks like SOLO will be in about the same boat as Star Trek Into Darkness five years ago - coming in somewhere over 100 million short in the theatrical release and needing to make up the shortfall with home video sales and rentals. I continue to hope that Lucasfilm and Disney will really think about whether they want to do another "A Star Wars Story" movie right away, or whether they should just work on Episode IX and see how it does. I'd even recommend pushing IX back to May 2020.

AndyDursin

#60 Post by AndyDursin »

There are some people out there who truly don't understand how it works and think "oh it'll be fine". This movie cost $300 mil and that doesn't include P&A...it's not A QUIET PLACE. It isn't hyperbole to say this opening is a total bust.

And this excuse "there's lots of competition out there" is FALSE.

There wasn't any other wide release opening this weekend. NONE! Deadpool lost 66% in it's second week...and Avengers came out a MONTH ago.

I also find the notion they "need to move these films back to Christmas" astounding because there's less competition there. Amazing since the first 6 Star Wars movies came out in May! Apparently Disney's films can't handle that kind of scheduling? They need a window all to themselves? Bizarre.

But again I am not shocked. Said it before and will again...THE LAST JEDI was terrible. I have not met anyone who liked it. Yes people paid to see it but that doesn't mean they liked it, and Solo's disastrous opening is proof positive in my mind the fanbase's collective enthusiasm for these films have both been exhausted and deflated by bad product.