Tolkien Fans Already Savaging LORD OF THE RINGS Amazon Series

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Amazon Pays $200 Mil for Tolkien TV Series

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

That account must have been overseas. This one works (not that you'd want to see it again :lol: :lol:

AndyDursin

#17 Post by AndyDursin »

Interesting -- and right on the money article I'd imagine...not having read the books I wonder what Paul would think about this!

Paul MacLean

#18 Post by Paul MacLean »

I read in another article that Jeff Bezos is determined to "have his own Game of Thrones", and that this new Tolkien series is employing an "intimacy coordinator" (neither of which bode well).

I'm sure it will be voraciously consumed by corpulent D&D geeks -- whose walls are covered with Frank Frazetta illustrations and who consider Tolkien's actual books to be "boring".

Personally, I'd rather watch an Uwe Boll movie!

Eric W.

#19 Post by Eric W. »

Lord of the Woke more like. Garbage.

Paul MacLean

#20 Post by Paul MacLean »

Eric W. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:51 pm Lord of the Woke more like. Garbage.
Yeah, and the frustrating thing is, if you try and point-out that a multi-racial cast is not suited to the material, you're branded a racist. :|

Monterey Jack

#21 Post by Monterey Jack »

Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm Yeah, and the frustrating thing is, if you try and point-out that a multi-racial cast is not suited to the material, you're branded a racist. :|
I remember people grousing about the lack of black people and women in Dunkirk, when, historically, there WERE no black people or women at Dunkirk! :lol:

Eric W.

#22 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:55 pm
Eric W. wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:51 pm Lord of the Woke more like. Garbage.
Yeah, and the frustrating thing is, if you try and point-out that a multi-racial cast is not suited to the material, you're branded a racist. :|
So be it. All they can do is insult and call people names. What I don't get is how/why that's been so effective for the last couple of decades or so. People need to get thicker skins and spines and not give a damn but I digress.

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

Tolkien fans are SAVAGING this series already from the story/character alterations to the Woke (TM) component.

Mark my words -- this is going to get ripped apart worse than any of the worst DisneyStarWars+ saga entries.

Monterey Jack

Re: Tolkien Fans Already Savaging LORD OF THE RINGS Amazon Series

#24 Post by Monterey Jack »

No one will EVER be satisfied with any changes to a long-running geek property.

AndyDursin

#25 Post by AndyDursin »

No but we are also talking here about the defining series of its entire genre... It's just not some dumb comic book. The LOTR fans are slavish to the material and this show is apparently total garbage in terms of its fidelity to its source. I mean just watch the trailer. It's got the whole Woke checkmark crap rolling all over it. :roll:

This isn't a fan base you want to have turn on you. For Bezos sake hopefully he can get enough youngsters who just think it's "cool" that he makes a profit off the insane price tag.

Paul MacLean

#26 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:50 pm Tolkien fans are SAVAGING this series already from the story/character alterations to the Woke (TM) component.

Mark my words -- this is going to get ripped apart worse than any of the worst DisneyStarWars+ saga entries.
Well those people criticizing it are of course "racist white men".

But seriously, if they want to create an "interracial" sword & sorcery franchise -- why don't they just write a new one? Don't appropriate the work of an author whose fictional world was based on British and Northen European lore. Moreover, don't brand admirers of that work "racist" for (rightly) objecting to a series that refuses to show fidelity to the author's world building.

And no, I don't have a problem with characters of different races in fantasy films -- this is one of the things that makes Conan The Barbarian interesting. But Conan takes place in an array of different lands -- Conan hails from the the North, is eventually brought to Asia to train as a swordsman, then later he and Subotai are thieves constantly on the move, Thulsa Doom combs the world for weapons of steel, etc. The interaction of different races in Conan is a logical factor in a story whose characters are travelers. But no mention is made in any of Tolkien's work of their being Zulu, Vietnamese or Maori Hobbits. Moreover, even if there were, the sedentary nature of Hobbits would preclude any traveling or migration in the first place.

What rankles me most tho, is that this is not a Tolkien-inspired series. It is a Peter Jackson-inspired series. It's not based on anything written by Tolkien. It merely regurgitates the style of the Jackson movies (which are now two decades old).

AndyDursin

#27 Post by AndyDursin »

At least they're not hiding it but coming right out and saying this has nothing to do with actual Tolkien at all.

Makes that much easier to avoid.

mkaroly

#28 Post by mkaroly »

As much as I enjoyed THE HOBBIT and LOTR books, I cannot say I am really invested or interested in that universe. I never read any of the other things Tolkien and his son wrote (heck...I haven't even read the Appendicies for the LOTR series). And while I thoroughly enjoyed Peter Jackson's LOTR trilogy (not so much THE HOBBIT), I don't often go back to watch them. So this is an easy pass for me.

My jam is the DUNE universe....trying to read through all the books written in the series as a whole (including all the books Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson wrote).

AndyDursin

#29 Post by AndyDursin »

Things are going REALLY well ahead of this premiering. :lol:

AndyDursin

#30 Post by AndyDursin »

:shock: