A QUIET PLACE Sequel - May 2020

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: A QUIET PLACE - April

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

The inevitable already been hinted at, but hopefully a good angle is found.

http://deadline.com/2018/04/paramount-b ... 202377023/

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

Ugh...the reason why A Quiet Place worked because of what it WASN'T, i.e. yet another bloated, CGI-crammed creature-feature. :? I didn't need to see any more after that brilliant "cut to black" ending.

Sometimes it's okay if a big hit movie doesn't have a sequel. Worked for E.T....

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

John Krasinski confirmed he's writing a sequel to the movie after previously telling Paramount to find new writers. He says his "small idea" might work -- I'm sure Paramount sweetened the pot for him to find out, too!

Whether or not it tells a new story from a different set of characters, or Krasinski returns to direct, we'll have to wait and see.
Krasinski did not expect to be involved, telling his wife and co-star Emily Blunt that he preferred to leave it as a special experience they shared together.

"That was my intention for the movie itself," Krasinski said Wednesday during Q&A at the Silver Screen Theatre in Los Angeles. "Then I had this small idea for a sequel, but I didn't think it would go anywhere. So, I said to the studio, 'Just go do the movie with somebody else.'"

Krasinski's idea kept growing, even as Paramount entertained pitches from other filmmakers.

"They heard some pitches, and I told [producer] Drew [Form] about this little idea," said Krasinski. "And he told me to think about it a little longer. And then I thought, 'This might really work.' So, I'm currently writing the sequel."
Also interesting...
A Quiet Place was written by Bryan Woods and Scott Beck, who sold it to Platinum Dunes partners Form and Brad Fuller. After the producers got Krasinski on board, he performed a rewrite that changed how the film opened. In the original script, the death of the family's youngest child happened in flashbacks, but Krasinski pushed that to the forefront, writing a new sequence to introduce their world.

"In the spec screenplay that we bought, page one, the family was dropped into the farm," said Form, who appeared on the panel alongside Krasinski and Fuller. "And that's where the movie started. As you see here [in the actual film], the first 12 minutes of the movie starts in the pharmacy, out with the boy walking. So when we received those first 12 pages, it was such a gamechanger on how to start this film. If we didn't have those first 12 minutes of the movie, I don't even know what the movie is. It really changed the entire thing."

Krasinski also conceived of a backstory for where the sound-hunting creatures came from, imagining them as originating from a planet where there is no light, having evolved to be perfect killing machines. Apparently, they came to Earth via a meteor, yet none of this is referenced in the film, other than on the board Krasinski's character keeps in his basement.

"I have the whole backstory, I know exactly where they're from and what day and where it happened. But I want to only tell it on this board," he said.

A Quiet Place 2 is set to open May 15, 2020.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ng-1153454