x3 movie and score

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

x3 movie and score

#1 Post by romanD »

ok, movie isnt out yet, but I got the CD already (varese in Germany already sent it out).

What can I say? This is a remarkable score... you would never think it is by Powell. Forget what you ever hear by him or any of the MV staff. Amazing.
Ok, bad thing: It lacks a memorable theme, but well, now you can say I ghuess, the studio just doesn't want one. Neither Kamen nor Ottman wrote a big theme, or if they did, it was almost never used in the movie.
There are a few themes, but Ottman had some too and honestly I don't remember any of them and you can be sure these subtle themes or better motives will get los tin the sound mix.

BUT: The overall score sounds fantastic, the action is powerful beyond belief, he even adds a latin choir to the PHOENIX action sequences... the whole energy of the score is incredible. I don't need big themes when the rest is so good and holds together so well due to its style.
I couldn't make out any temp tracks so far, but the overall sound is like Elfman's first BATMAN, as I said, not temptracked, but the style is like that. Not a bad thing, hu?

highly recommended and thanks VARESE for making this over an hour long!

bring on the movie!

P.S.: MI3 was soso... nothing you have to see on the big screen... amazingly unspectacular.

AndyDursin

#2 Post by AndyDursin »

I'll have to check it out Roman. I've enjoyed Powell's music over the years (D-TOX, FACE/OFF, PAYCHECK in particular) and will be ready for this one, ears open!

The movie actually isn't looking bad, either. With all the talk about Superman X-MEN 3 is flying under the radar just a tad but I'm betting it'll be good!

Paul MacLean

#3 Post by Paul MacLean »

Is it true that Lalo Schifrin was originally supposed to score X3? If so, why didn't it work out? Studio preferences and "ageism"?

Just wondering...

Paul

romanD

#4 Post by romanD »

I think with Lalo that was only a typical IMDB rumor... they just wrote he would score it as he did almost all Rattner movies.. would have been a cool idea, but I guess his days for such movies are really over and I just can't imagine he could pull off such a movie.

Still, his first horror score in 30 years gets a release on CD in 2 weeks... ABOMINABLE... movie looks hoorible and really cheap, still he had a 90 piece orchestra... am very curious about it...

Eric W.

#5 Post by Eric W. »

I've been enjoying Powell's music ever since Face Off, so I've been looking forward to this score, not to mention the movie itself.

romanD

#6 Post by romanD »

you will be surprised! I listened to the score again on my way to work and it really rocks without a stop! WOW! That's honestly the best of the X-Men scores and already one of the best of the year!

I don't wanna know what cool cues they had to leave off the CD... :-(((