WB Archive Collection - Supergirl Blu-ray

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
John Johnson

WB Archive Collection - Supergirl Blu-ray

#1 Post by John Johnson »

Release date 24th July.

This special edition of Supergirl presents the film's International Cut, remastered in High Definition for Blu-ray,T along with the rare Director's Cut on a bonus DVD.

Special Features: The Making of Supergirl Vintage Documentary; Commentary by Director Jeannot Szwarc and Special Project Consultant Michael Bosco; Theatrical Trailer (HD); Extended Cut in Standard Definition on bonus DVD

https://www.wbshop.com/collections/warn ... pergirl-bd
Last edited by John Johnson on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
London. Greatest City in the world.

Eric Paddon

Re: WB Archive Collection - Supergirl Blu-ray

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

An instant purchase from me. The film is maddeningly flawed but much more entertaining that either Superman III or IV, IMO. If Reeve had done the cameo he was supposed to do it would have been so much better overall. Slater's performance is what makes it work, warts and all.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Wow the Directors Cut on DVD, they really went all out :mrgreen:

I am looking forward to the high def presentation even though IMO, its a severely flawed movie with a host of shortcomings and a lead performance that holds it back. Personal taste here but I think III is a much better, far more entertaining film also. Now, Superman IV -- or any modern DC film of late -- that's another matter :lol:

KevinEK

#4 Post by KevinEK »

This sounds like WB just retrieved the materials that were prepared by Anchor Bay for their 2-disc DVD edition of Supergirl. I picked that one up when it became available and still have it in my collection for the bonus materials.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

It's the same thing they did with their DVD reissue -- they bought out the rights from the Salkinds and Studio Canal a few years ago.

Ironic since Warner Bros. was supposed to release the film in the Summer of 1984 (they're still listed as the distributor on the novelization), but threw it away once they saw it, enabling Tri-Star to handle it instead for the holiday season.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

I'll stick with Melissa Benoist, thank you. :)

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

I like Melissa and Laura Vandervoort (from Smallville) also -- but I have to confess I've grown bored with the present SUPERGIRL series.

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:14 pm I like Melissa and Laura Vandervoort (from Smallville) also -- but I have to confess I've grown bored with the present SUPERGIRL series.
I finished up season three on Netflix this morning, and have to admit the freshness of season one has begun to wear off. It doesn't help that every single episode seems to be some thinly-veiled metaphoric lecture about sexism, racism, gay rights, or whatever. :? Can't we just have fun adventure shows anymore without burying it all under this real-world crap? Melissa in a miniskirt is what's keeping me watching at this point, but I just wish the storytelling was less leaden and brisker...the WB's insistance on the now-antiquated 24-episode season template keeps dragging out storylines that should have been resolved in half to time to agonizing lengths. Hell, even the Netflix Marvel shows seem padded out at 13 eps per season. A show like Stranger Things was perfectly-paced at only eight episodes per season (with one "bonus" epsode in the second year)...had they added another five episodes per season, it would have killed the show's narrative momentum.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

I agree, though I gave up long before you. Sadly, I think the "agenda" has something to with Benoist herself. Don't want to derail this thread into a current events thing but some of her "activism" has been over the top. Her right to do so, of course, but I think it may have influenced some of the things in this show, in a negative context.

Eric Paddon

#10 Post by Eric Paddon »

Personally, I think Slater looks better.

jkholm

#11 Post by jkholm »

Monterey Jack wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:26 pm It doesn't help that every single episode seems to be some thinly-veiled metaphoric lecture about sexism, racism, gay rights, or whatever. :? Can't we just have fun adventure shows anymore without burying it all under this real-world crap?
That's what I liked about the new Lost in Space. Yeah, I know it got terrible reviews but I enjoyed it and so did my kids. It's certainly not perfect. There are too many episodes and individual episodes often go on way too long. There's also way too many last minute escape scenes. But it is blissfully free of an agenda. There's no allegory about the current administration, no heavy-handed messaging, just a nice family, a dangerous villain and a cool robot.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

I should try watching more of it John, thanks for the tip!

On this SUPERGIRL it seems Warner just did a new transfer of the International Cut, and is porting over some things from the Anchor Bay disc...and as we've said, the 138 min version is really the TV version as profanity is dubbed over.

KevinEK

#13 Post by KevinEK »

Andy, that's what I was thinking.

Thanks for the reminder about the TV version - that sounds very familiar and very correct.

I remember something similar about the longer Halloween cut too - but I don't remember if they kept things bleeped out. I get very confused on that one - I think Criterion included the TV version scenes (I think shot during Halloween II) as a bonus, and that Anchor Bay did a DVD release of that version in 2001. If I'm remembering right, both the Criterion laserdisc (the CAV version) and the Anchor Bay DVD had those additional scenes in widescreen.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Whats up with the terrible font and cover art? Ugh.

Eric Paddon

#15 Post by Eric Paddon »

As I remember the one bit of censored dialogue in the longer version was Dunaway ranting, "If that's the G.D Jehovah Witnesses again!"