x3

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
romanD

x3

#1 Post by romanD »

I really liked it!!! cool last shot!!!

DavidBanner

#2 Post by DavidBanner »

I unfortunately have to disagree. Having now seen the swarm of really bad reviews at AICN, I am forced to admit they have a lot of validity.

This movie felt rushed. There was a really great story in there - probably the best one of the X-Men mythos. And there were some really good actors involved. But the script really lacked any depth, the characters lacked the depth they had in the first two movies, and the whole thing felt it needed to be thought through a bit more before getting to production.

It would be easy to blame Brett Ratner, but the fact is, he did pretty well with the action sequences and he certainly showed an eye for large set pieces and clear geography - he never left me wondering where people were in a situation, as happens to me all the time with say, Tony Scott. However, he lacks the ability with these actors that Bryan Singer showed in the first two films - several performances that had previously shined were simply lackluster here. And he lacks the attention to fine detail that might have made some difference here - things like Colossus being Russian, for example. And he agreed to start filming a script that clearly needed a few more months of work to fully develop.

I believe that the movie may open well, but drop off very quickly. As an ominous sign, the sold-out opening audience burst into derisive laughter at two of the key moments of the film, one being the climactic set piece. I don't believe they were going to tell their friends what a great movie they had just seen - and the buzz as we left the film was pretty negative.

As a side note, two films in the 20 minute chain of previews got REALLY REALLY bad responses. One was the new Fast & Furious: Tokyo Drift movie - this audience openly booed it. The second was the Omen remake - this audience began laughing at the trailer pretty quickly and then booed the title. I am beginning to think "You Have Been Warned" may be an unfortunately appropriate title...

romanD

#3 Post by romanD »

ok, FF3 TOKYO DRIFT seems really horrible... the first was already crap, so what do you expect?

again, I can only say that the omen remake is done very well, but is just unnecessary... but if you havent seen the original you will like it!

just got the CD from Marco and the score really rocks! at least we can't complain about good scores this summer... x3 is wonderful...

anyhow... I admit that x3 had some rushed feeling to it and there were a couple moments were obviously they rushed the editing... notice how the bridge falls down during daylight and one cut later it's midnight! obviously there was a scene between this whcih was cut out.. also many dialogues felt like there were cut out many lines...

still, I liked it a lot... x2 is still the best, but x1 had already many problems, so I think it is fair to say that part 3 is as good as part 1 if not better, but that's probably because you liek the characters so much and all that from the previous movies.

DavidBanner

#4 Post by DavidBanner »

The audience last night exploded laughing at the bridge scenes, even before the sudden "Repo Man"-styled transition from day to night. They actually also exploded laughing at a line of Professor X from earlier in the film - the whole idea of a telekinetic shield got a pretty derisive reaction. And the reaction to what was supposed to be the Morlocks got confusion - at least until Arclight stepped forward, at which point the audience burst out laughing again. And I have to admit wincing in pain at the timing and delivery of "Oh my Stars and Garters!" - that didn't go over well at all.

At the same time, there were a couple of the 20 minute festival of previews that actually went over well. "Nacho Libre" got a huge response and "Snakes on a Plane" sounds like it may turn out to be a big hit when it gets unleashed in August. "Ghost Rider" mostly got a confused response, but it wasn't booed off the screen like some of the other previews. And this audience actually liked the preview for "My Super Ex Girlfriend", although I've heard that other audiences openly disliked it.

romanD

#5 Post by romanD »

hm, nobody laughed over here. Just the TOKYO DRIFT gets a bad reply in the theaters. THE OMEN trailer actually got some shivers in the audience and I heard a couple "cool.. gotta see this!"

oh and Poseidon was something people really hated...

that telekinteic shield babble was awfully close to a ST episode, but well, overall those are minor things I didn't like in x3.. overall I thought it was pretty good and every kill a big shock or touching. Mystique's fate was pretty heart-breaking... even if she is a villain, I liked her through the movies a lot :-)

romanD

#6 Post by romanD »

aw crap... after the end credits there is supposedly a scene! has anyone stayed till the veryend??? wanna know what happens there!!!

i always stay, just had to leave early yesterday... aaaargh!!!

Paul MacLean

#7 Post by Paul MacLean »

romanD wrote:aw crap... after the end credits there is supposedly a scene! has anyone stayed till the veryend??? wanna know what happens there!!!
$#@%!!!

I left before the credits ended too. of course I was in a bad mood because I yelled at some stupid kids (who should have been in school -- this was a Friday matinee) for blocking the projector with their hands during the end credits.

In any case WHY do they have to add scenes at the end of the credits (or worse, in the MIDDLE of them, as in Narnia)? Perhaps its some new union rule to keep audience watching every name?

I should add that nobody laughed when I saw the movie. Some twit sitting with his family kept talking, but even he was into it at least.

Paul

Eric W.

#8 Post by Eric W. »

Paul MacLean wrote:
$#@%!!!

I left before the credits ended too. of course I was in a bad mood because I yelled at some stupid kids (who should have been in school -- this was a Friday matinee) for blocking the projector with their hands during the end credits.

In any case WHY do they have to add scenes at the end of the credits (or worse, in the MIDDLE of them, as in Narnia)? Perhaps its some new union rule to keep audience watching every name?

I should add that nobody laughed when I saw the movie. Some twit sitting with his family kept talking, but even he was into it at least.

Paul
^^ For about the millionth time now...posts like these underscore why I haven't gone back to a theater in almost two years now.

I can wait for three months and enjoy the movie on DVD in the comfort of my own home with zero hassles like these.

mkaroly

#9 Post by mkaroly »

I did stay for the end of the credits but I don't want to give anything away!! I really, really enjoyed the film, though the score was very basic and generic and so I didn't care for it much. I'll let someone else put the posting-

Paul MacLean

#10 Post by Paul MacLean »

^^ For about the millionth time now...posts like these underscore why I haven't gone back to a theater in almost two years now.

I can wait for three months and enjoy the movie on DVD in the comfort of my own home with zero hassles like these.

I may just join you (in *practice* that is -- I don't mean I'm going to drop-in unexpecedly...although, how big is your TV? :wink:).

But with audiences increasingly comprised of Chester-Chatterboxes, loud disrespectful kids and skanky teenyboppers taking calls on the cell-phones -- combined with the proliferation of big-screen HDTVs and HD or Blue-Ray discs -- I forsee the theatre experience ultimately becoming little more than a preview for DVD releases.

Paul
Last edited by Paul MacLean on Tue May 30, 2006 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Queen of the Geeks

#11 Post by The Queen of the Geeks »

My major problem with the movie was that my sympathies lay almost entirely with the "bad guys".

In this movie, Magneto was, to my mind, absolutely justified in his fears (and not entirely unjustified in his actions). He said that the humans would draw "first blood", and they did. He said the humans would force the cure on mutants they considered troublesome (and they did), and he maintained throughout that the humans couldn't be trusted (and they couldn't be). So, as far as I'm concerned, Magneto was the hero of the picture; now that Charles Xavier is, at least theoretically, out-of-the-picture, the X-Men should've installed Magneto as the new leader of the X-Men, and to hell with homo sapiens.

Paul MacLean

#12 Post by Paul MacLean »

WARNING! WARNING!

DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

MY RESPONSE CONTAINS SPOILERS!

DON'T READ IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE FILM...

So, as far as I'm concerned, Magneto was the hero of the picture; now that Charles Xavier is, at least theoretically, out-of-the-picture, the X-Men should've installed Magneto as the new leader of the X-Men, and to hell with homo sapiens.

I agree Magneto was justified in his fears...but not his actions. Although the humans "drew first blood", they did not actually *kill* the mutants, they merely saught to render them "harmless". Compare that to Magneto's near-disastrous attempt to transform humans into mutants in the first film.

I didn't see Magneto as a hero -- I never have. I think he is utterly despicable...yet I do understand him. That's what makes him a compelling character. And having him played by an actor of Ian McKellen's stature only makes him more captivating. I believe McKellen effectively channels his own real-life resentment at being "marginalized" into the character (and I daresay he inhabits that character a little to comfortably at times!).

Another thing I find fascinating about the character is that Magneto, as a Holocaust survivor, was a victim of a society that wanted to exterminate him and other "undesireables" to make way for a "master race". But like so many revolutionaries, Magneto is blind to his own hypocricy. He has become what he hated, and it is now *he* who espouses the concept of a "master race", and the eradication of those who are "inferior" to him.

The scene with Mystique gives a perfect insight to his despicable character. Mystique has been his constant companion, unfailingly loyal to him and even taking the bullet to save him...yet he immediately casts her aside when she is rendered "undesireable". Likewise, in the first film he was willing to sacrifice Rogue -- one of his own kind -- ostensibly for the "mutant cause" but in reality merely to satisfy his megalomanical agenda.

God help the kids in Xavier's school if Erik Lensherr ever becomes headmaster!

Paul