THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE - Canceled!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: POWER OF THE DARK CRYSTAL News!

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

But that's the thing though. What about the 1982 movie and that universe required celebrity voice casting? It didn't but it looks like this does. Will see how it functions over the course of numerous episodes (I keep forgetting this is a longer series) though I would find Feirstein's vocal work distracting in any project myself.

At least it's not CGI, that's the main thing it has going for it.

Paul MacLean

#32 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:17 pm I would find Feirstein's vocal work distracting in any project myself.
Yeah, Fierstein has one of the most distinct and recognizable voices in the world.

Casting him automatically imposes his persona (and all which that implies) on the character.

Paul MacLean

#33 Post by Paul MacLean »

Some more images.

I must say they're really nailed the look and style of the film...

Image Image

ImageImage

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks really good. The one thing Netflix allows is creative freedom, sometimes to a detriment (episodes of any show seem to be at least 10 minutes too long), but that's a definite plus in this case.

Glad Henson kept control of their company because this thing likely would never have happened if Disney owned it.

Paul MacLean

#35 Post by Paul MacLean »

Teaser is up on Youtube...

I must say it looks very good, and does indeed seem to have captured the spirit of the original film...well, as much as you can without Trevor Jones' involvement.

AndyDursin

#36 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks just terrific really. Visually and otherwise, they seem to have gotten it right.

Paul MacLean

#37 Post by Paul MacLean »

This "making of" piece makes it look ever more promising...

Monterey Jack

#38 Post by Monterey Jack »

Taking a vacation with my sister and her kids at the end of next week, and I'll be bringing The Dark Crystal with me and hope they'll be interested in watching it. :)

AndyDursin

#39 Post by AndyDursin »

All out rave from Variety!

https://variety.com/2019/tv/reviews/dar ... 203315352/
With its stark divisions between heroes and villains, gorgeously rendered world, and loving embrace of fantasy’s longest-standing tropes, “Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance” is a prime example of how television can do fantasy right — and how potent the combination of nostalgia and Netflix’s deep pockets can be. But the most essential part of the series’ success is that in order to work (both figuratively and literally), it had to take its time. It had to deeply consider every move and twist; it had to make sure even the smallest digression would be worth it. Even someone with no connection to the source material can appreciate the high-wire balancing act it took to pull something of this scale off with such guts and grace.

Monterey Jack

#40 Post by Monterey Jack »

Re-watched the film last week, and still find it to be a spellbinding fantasy experience, the somewhat stock characters and generic "The One/Prophecy Yadda-Yadda" plot paling in comparison to the movie's visual splendor and Trevor Jones' marvelous, enveloping score. I'm hoping the series will live up to the hype and flesh out Henson's fascinating world.

Paul MacLean

#41 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:24 am Re-watched the film last week, and still find it to be a spellbinding fantasy experience, the somewhat stock characters and generic "The One/Prophecy Yadda-Yadda" plot paling in comparison to the movie's visual splendor and Trevor Jones' marvelous, enveloping score. I'm hoping the series will live up to the hype and flesh out Henson's fascinating world.
Sometimes, the way a story is told has more impact than the story itself. I do think the voice-overs and narration (which overplays the "prophesy" angle) were a bit overdone, but clearly The Dark Crystal has that special something that has stood the test of time.

And to think it was out-grossed at the box office during 1982's holiday season by Gandhi and Tootsie!

AndyDursin

#42 Post by AndyDursin »

Those were big movies at the time though (TOOTSIE was one of the biggest comedy hits of the decade). Plus THE DARK CRYSTAL was too dark for little kids -- part of The Muppets audience was alienated from going to see it, and I wonder how many adults may have been turned off by the thought of watching a fantasy made by Jim Henson. Still made off just fine and was quite profitable, even if it wasn't STAR WARS (it was a much bigger success at least than LABYRINTH, which basically bombed outright).

I like the movie a lot -- but I agree with Paul, I think the voice-over and narration were a bit much. I'd love them to try and remaster that Workprint version that's out there that has the test screening audio (minus the voice over and worked-over Skeksis dialogue). The movie definitely was "dumbed down", though my guess is certain plot points did need clarification.

As for the new series, there's apparently a really good, feature-length documentary that will be available with the series on Netflix, and it includes footage from the abandoned prior attempts at getting this made over the years (CGI/puppet hybrids, etc.). Sounds like that will be worth checking out too.

andy b

#43 Post by andy b »

Paul & Andy

From a European point, Gandhi & Tootsie had massive publicity budgets, due to points made by Andy about small children being up set & adults staying away on the USA release the Euro budget was pulled back quite considerably on Dark Crystal & by & large had to fend for itself in an over loaded summer. It did okay but never went over well on any of it's releases & we put it out twice more, once with Labyrinth & either Ghostbusters or Ghostbusters 2 (can not remember which) & just died away.

It finally found it's home on VHS & I suspect subsequent home entertainment releases.

I enjoyed the film, but can see how the Muppet audience would of been scared away.

regards
Andy b

Paul MacLean

#44 Post by Paul MacLean »

andy b wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:51 pm From a European point, Gandhi & Tootsie had massive publicity budgets, due to points made by Andy about small children being up set & adults staying away on the USA release the Euro budget was pulled back quite considerably on Dark Crystal & by & large had to fend for itself in an over loaded summer.
Was the Euro release of The Dark Crystal in summer of '82 or '83?

andy b

#45 Post by andy b »

Paul

we opened late spring / early summer of 1983. IMDB state February but they are wrong & I know that as I have all my UIP folders from that time.

Due to his Muppet contract in the UK it had to go through ITC (Lew Grade's company) & they passed it onto UIP (United International Pictures, who distributed for MGM, MGM/UA, Paramount & Universal, they were called CIC - Cinema International Corporation,) as by this time ITC really did not have the booking power that UIP had, as well as not having a slate of films that could be used to get screen space.

The Dark Crystal had to kind of fend for itself, after the poor USA/Canada release.

Still like the picture even if it is a tad strange.

regards
Andy b