THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE - Canceled!

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE - On Netflix

#61 Post by AndyDursin »

That's all she wrote, and I can't say I'm surprised. In fact I wonder how many people ended up stopping after an episode or two as I did.

Show also must have been hugely expensive to produce.
"We can confirm that there will not be an additional season of The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance,” said Lisa Henson, executive producer. “We know fans are eager to learn how this chapter of The Dark Crystal saga concludes and we’ll look for ways to tell that story in the future. Our company has a legacy of creating rich and complex worlds that require technical innovation, artistic excellence, and masterful storytelling. Our history also includes productions that are enduring, often finding and growing their audience over time and proving again and again that fantasy and science fiction genres reflect eternal messages and truths that are always relevant. We are so grateful to Netflix for trusting us to realize this ambitious series; we are deeply proud of our work on Age of Resistance, and the acclaim it has received from fans, critics and our peers, most recently receiving an Emmy for Outstanding Children’s Program.”
https://deadline.com/2020/09/the-dark-c ... 234581520/

Paul MacLean

Re: THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE - On Netflix

#62 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:13 pm That's all she wrote, and I can't say I'm surprised. In fact I wonder how many people ended up stopping after an episode or two as I did.
I stuck out the whole thing, but despite some bright spots, I didn't care for it, plus there was no resolution -- it was clearly setting things up for another series.

And now that there's never going to be a follow-up, Age of Resistance is kind of pointless, since the story leaves you hanging (shades of the BBC's Tripods adaptation in the 80s).

Monterey Jack

Re: THE DARK CRYSTAL: AGE OF RESISTANCE - Canceled!

#63 Post by Monterey Jack »

Netflix, where good shows go to die after one or two seasons (unless it's Stranger Things).

AndyDursin

#64 Post by AndyDursin »

Netflix definitely does have a tendency to cancel shows too soon -- though, to be fair, there's a big difference between most of their productions and this, which carried a huge budget that was obviously not matched with viewership numbers.

Monterey Jack

#65 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 3:36 pm Netflix definitely does have a tendency to cancel shows too soon -- though, to be fair, there's a big difference between most of their productions and this, which carried a huge budget that was obviously not matched with viewership numbers.
Even more modestly-budgeted Netflix shows tend to get the heave-ho after two seasons, max, no matter how many loyal fans or good reviews or unresolved plotlines there are. Unless it's a lynchpin of their entire "brand name", like Stranger Things (or a cheap-to-produce animated program, like Voltron, which ran for seven or so seasons), don't get attached to any program on Netflix.

AndyDursin

#66 Post by AndyDursin »

Right that's what I was saying , there are plenty of decent series they have given up on that don't cost much. This doesn't fall into that category though, its got to be up there with the most expensive things they've funded.

At least they waited a year before pulling the plug. Some of these series they cancel after a MONTH and don't even give them time to develop an audience.

Paul MacLean

#67 Post by Paul MacLean »

I wonder if this is a casualty of the "Cuties controversy". Legions of people have canceled their subscriptions due to that series, and I could see Netflix having to "tighten their belts" owing to lost revenue.

AndyDursin

#68 Post by AndyDursin »

I think the Henson company knew they were finished with this a while back because I saw an interview with Lisa Henson where she was saying how complicated the production was and hinted it might be continued in another form (book or whatever). This was a couple of months ago I believe so they had to have known even then. It had to have been a pain to shoot, expensive, and employed a lot of people. Plus the reality is they did not generate the audience they were hoping for.

The Netflix shows that I don't understand getting axed are these usually well reviewed little dramas that they cancel within literally weeks of debuting. Why not wait to find out how many views you might get? Instead they air them and cancel them, and it's bizarre. It's like they only care about getting a glut of new product out all at once, cultivating an audience doesn't seem to be high in their list of priorities.