WONDER WOMAN 1984 - Delayed to Christmas

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

WONDER WOMAN 1984 - Delayed to Christmas

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Ok I'll go... 8)

Monterey Jack

Re: WONDER WOMAN 1984 - June 5th - Trailer

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Hey, COLOR...! :shock:

Eric Paddon

#3 Post by Eric Paddon »

I read the leaked summaries of the preview screenings. Came off as very lame.

The first film would have been so much better if they'd had the guts to set it in WW2, but they didn't want to give us a hint of pro-America flag-waving so they decided we had to get it in an unauthentic WW1.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:15 pm The first film would have been so much better if they'd had the guts to set it in WW2, but they didn't want to give us a hint of pro-America flag-waving so they decided we had to get it in an unauthentic WW1.
I think it was more to differentiate itself from the first Captain America.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

It does sound worrisome...

https://cosmicbook.news/wonder-woman-1984-spoilers

Seems quite credible because the film was moved back to next year very late and must be fully finished by this point. The Reddit posts on the screenings were removed with a copyright notice which seldom occurs for unsubstantiated rumors.

At least they have a while to recut it. More than you can say for the horrid test screening reports from.STAR WARS EPISODE IX.

mkaroly

#6 Post by mkaroly »

Jesse Graf of American Ninja Warrior fame did stunts in this movie...that's all I know about it!

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

It's funny though -- Patty Jenkins really wants the movie to get released NOW. She probably doesn't want it held for months and months and have the studio react to the rumors by ordering up extensive reshoots in the interim. Or just be plagued with bad press. Who knows if it's as bad as was claimed -- earlier test screenings apparently were "positive."

At some point, the movie is what it is -- if the movie is a total dog, that's one thing. But if people don't like it just because it's tonally different, i.e. too silly or fantasy-driven, well, maybe that's the movie she wanted to make this time? This is a problem especially when you've got something completed that's literally going to sit there. I mean, it's done -- it could've been released this month.

Paul MacLean

#8 Post by Paul MacLean »

Are they trying to draw some kind of subtle, implicit parallel between Max Lord and Donald Trump?

No...no, I must be imagining things. :roll:

Eric Paddon

#9 Post by Eric Paddon »

I never believed for one minute that a period piece set in the 1980s would ever have the guts to show the Russians as the bad guys (hell, Hollywood never wanted to make them the bad guys even when the 80s were unfolding!)

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:00 pm I never believed for one minute that a period piece set in the 1980s would ever have the guts to show the Russians as the bad guys (hell, Hollywood never wanted to make them the bad guys even when the 80s were unfolding!)
Wait, what? I grew up seeing Russians as villains in EVERYTHING.

Eric Paddon

#11 Post by Eric Paddon »

For every time I did see them as baddies, I was seeing more of the "moral equivalence" or "US saber-rattling is a bigger threat" stuff back then.

Paul MacLean

#12 Post by Paul MacLean »

Russians were shown as baddies in Rambo, Red Dawn and Amerika -- all of which overwrought critics lambasted as reckless threats to world peace. :lol:

But in a lot of 80s movies, the Soviets were "misunderstood good guys" -- Walter Gotell challenging the rogue Steven Berkoff in Octopussy, or the Soviet troops who are merely "under orders" in the World War III miniseries. Even Republican Arnold Schwarzzenegger played a likable, staunchly communist policeman in Red Heat.

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

"Octopussy" was a bit different in being the only time I ever saw the notion of a rogue Soviet general, and the film also had a slam against the Nuclear Freeze, European peace movement since Bond noted that the intent was to detonate a bomb that would made the peace movement call for unilateral disarmament and leave Western Europe open to a conventional Soviet invasion.

OTOH, we also had "Amazing Grace And Chuck" with its insipid notion that all we needed were silly children and overpaid celebrities making an impact on complex world affairs (presaging the media's obsession with puffing the likes of Greta Thunberg today). "Spies Like Us" which was at its core an anti-SDI screed with the bigger enemies being crazy American generals. And then there was "D.A.R.Y.L." which also tapped into the theme of oh, the evil military/government elite wants to make terrible weapons of war. And then of course, all the brush with nuclear war thrillers like "War Games" and "2010" and of course the ones that went over the edge like "World War III", "The Day After", "Testament", "Countdown To Looking Glass" etc. which were made solely because of the paranoia in the industry over the Reagan Administration Cold War policy.

Edmund Kattak

#14 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Paul MacLean wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 pm Russians were shown as baddies in Rambo, Red Dawn and Amerika -- all of which overwrought critics lambasted as reckless threats to world peace. :lol:

But in a lot of 80s movies, the Soviets were "misunderstood good guys" -- Walter Gotell challenging the rogue Steven Berkoff in Octopussy, or the Soviet troops who are merely "under orders" in the World War III miniseries. Even Republican Arnold Schwarzzenegger played a likable, staunchly communist policeman in Red Heat.
RED HEAT has the distinction of having one of the most outrageously funny fight scenes with a naked Arnold and bad guy beating the crap out of each other while rolling around in the snow! I can't stop laughing at that whenever that scene is playing.
Indeed,
Ed

mkaroly

#15 Post by mkaroly »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:49 am
Paul MacLean wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:57 pm Russians were shown as baddies in Rambo, Red Dawn and Amerika -- all of which overwrought critics lambasted as reckless threats to world peace. :lol:

RED HEAT has the distinction of having one of the most outrageously funny fight scenes with a naked Arnold and bad guy beating the crap out of each other while rolling around in the snow! I can't stop laughing at that whenever that scene is playing.
Lol...that reminds me of a scene from a Jean Claude Van Damme film (MAXIMUM RISK) where he is in a men's sauna area and he has a fight with the bad guy wearing only a towel. Anyway, a friend of mine did a paper on the theme of homosexuality in JCVD films...your post reminded me of her paper and that movie. LOL!!!

(I tried posting the clip but it wouldn't play)

A bit off the topic of Wonder Woman...sorry, but couldn't help it.