Kino Lorber "While Supplies Last" Sale

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Kino Lorber "While Supplies Last" Sale

#16 Post by AndyDursin »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 pm Has Kino-Lorber been known for generally mediocre transfers? So far, the couple I have seem pretty grainy - like THE PACKAGE (1989).
Depends on the title, but the main issue with Kino specifically is that some of their discs are mastered at the wrong gamma level. Titles like THE REIVERS and SPACE CAMP are two of the most obviously affected, but there are actually a fair amount from the last few years that have this problem. On SPACE CAMP you can see matte lines you shouldn't be seeing, the entire brightness level is raised excessively high. It's something in their QC department that they've lacked over the years, and they ARE responsible for that. (If you do run into it, it can be solved by turning your TV's gamma level down a notch or, many times, two).

As for THE PACKAGE itself -- which I don't think has a gamma problem -- there's such a thing as a "typical MGM catalog master" and that's pretty representative of it. Those are usually decent, better-than-DVD efforts, but you know they could be better if they were newly remastered. The majority of MGM titles that have been released on Blu-Ray -- be it from Kino, Twilight Time, Shout, Olive, etc. -- are from that batch which were probably done in the mid-late 2000's. They also populate the MGM HD channel and its broadcasts.

It's good, not great. Kino does do remastered transfers -- like MJ noted, they're usually marked as being 2K or 4K restorations. In the case of MGM, newer masters typically have a newer, "gold tinted" MGM logo before them (with Leo's eye up close before pulling out to the usual MGM logo).

Monterey Jack

#17 Post by Monterey Jack »

Last Embrace is a perfectly...serviceable homage to Hitchcock thrillers, only shorn of the Master's droll sense of humor or much character development or depth. Roy Scheider brings his usual terse charisma to the leading role, but the attempts to give him Hitchcockian levels of self-reprimanding guilt fall pretty flat, because there's barely any setup to why he's walking around in a funk to begin with (it's like there's an entire opening reel of plot and character setup missing). And despite all of the floridly passionate music courtesy of maestro Miklos Rozsa, the film is emotionally and dramatically distant, recalling those flat, overstuffed thrillers Hitchcock was making post-The Birds in the 60's and 70's. Director Jonathan Demme and DP Tak Fujimoto talk the talk with their fluid camerawork (especially in a visually-sensational climax at Niagara Falls), but they can't walk the walk when it comes to providing anything of substance under the gorgeous surfaces they provide. The film is worth having just to plug a hole in my collection of Demme's filmography, but it's never any more than mildly diverting, a green filmmaker just coming off his low-budget Roger Corman period and stretching with a very old-school movie-movie that works better as a calling card setting up his later, better work than as a satisfying film in its own right. If I want a late-period, Rozsa-scored thriller that evokes Hitchcock while still working both as a taut thriller and a dramatic piece, gimme Time After Time or Eye Of The Needle any day.

AndyDursin

#18 Post by AndyDursin »

I really didn't care for LAST EMBRACE much at all. A few bad performances, blah story, and the ending is just dreadful. One of those cases too where Rozsa's bombastic scoring highlights just how empty the rest of the film was.

I am a Scheider fan but that film doesn't go anywhere satisfying IMO.

Eric Paddon

#19 Post by Eric Paddon »

I disliked "Last Embrace" when I went through it. For one thing it's mindboggling how half of the plot (the intelligence agency that wants to bump Scheider off) comes to a total dead-stop halfway through the film. And the end just screams of a pointless effort to force a set-piece climax upon us that has no natural organic connection to the script.

Monterey Jack

#20 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric Paddon wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:36 am I disliked "Last Embrace" when I went through it. For one thing it's mindboggling how half of the plot (the intelligence agency that wants to bump Scheider off) comes to a total dead-stop halfway through the film. And the end just screams of a pointless effort to force a set-piece climax upon us that has no natural organic connection to the script.
I have to read the book the film is based on, because it seems like a 130 minute movie that got cut down to 100 minutes in the editing room. I, too, found it weird that Scheider is marked for death by employer Christopher Walken (but...what does Scheider do, exactly? It's hopelessly vague) halfway through the film, but after his altercation with Charles Napier in the bell tower, it's never brought up again. :? And the film's attempts to rig a Vertigo-style doomed love story climax with Scheider and Janet Margolin falls flat due to their lack of chemistry (despite being physically well-staged). It's frustrating, because all of the pieces are there, but it's the work of a gifted novice trying to emulate the work of a Master of Suspense, and getting all of the physical details right (it's a wonderful-looking movie, and oh, that score!) without plumbing the depths of impassioned inner conflict that fueled Hitchcock's best work. At least a pastiche artist like Brian De Palma shored up his Hitchcock imitations of the period with enough terse staging and galvanizing ultraviolence to keep things lively (not to mention his own quirky comic touches that Hitchcock would have been mordantly amused by), whereas Demme is a bit too tasteful with material that should have been treated like zippy pulp trash.

AndyDursin

#21 Post by AndyDursin »

Updating this with some soon to be OOP titles:

Eric Paddon

#22 Post by Eric Paddon »

It's only because I've got some money to burn with my house sale about to be closed that I grabbed several titles. "Spiral Staircase". "The Birthday Party", "Take The Money And Run" and "They Shoot Horses Don't They".

When I move into the new place, I'm going to finally upgrade to a 55 inch TV. About time I finally see these films on a larger screen!

AndyDursin

#23 Post by AndyDursin »

A number of new titles have been added including Night Stalker (the TV movies not the series), Trilogy of Terror, etc which are allegedly to be purged at the end of next week. I would pay attention to the Disney/Fox titles going OOP like those since they are unlikely to be reissued at this point.

https://www.kinolorber.com/collection/k ... 22/?page=1

AndyDursin

#24 Post by AndyDursin »

Bumping this up as it's on-going with some new titles and Kino's winter '23 sale:

https://kinolorber.com/collection/while ... 023/?page=

Kino's holiday sale (ends 12/19):

https://kinolorber.com/collection/winte ... rland-2023