Kino Lorber "While Supplies Last" Sale

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Kino Lorber "While Supplies Last" Sale

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Plenty of titles going OOP are on sale at Kino Lorber, some as low as $4.99 (free s/h on $50 as usual):

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/co ... eslast2020

Eric Paddon

Re: Kino Lorber "While Supplies Last" Sale

#2 Post by Eric Paddon »

Been through this list before and the last time I got burned with three loser titles ("52 Pick-Up" should have all the copies collected and burned). Not biting this time.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

LOL I could've told you that one was terrible. They're not all that bad! (though we have different tastes)

Edmund Kattak

#4 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Thanks for the tip. I picked up THE PACKAGE and PURSUIT. Although, I always liked that cover for BODY SLAM (even the LP) with Virginia Madsen. :D
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Grabbed the following:

-Bank Shot: $4.99 *
-Foxes: $11.99 *
-Last Embrace: $9.99
-The Package: $11.99
-The Unforgiven: $11.99 *
-Phobia (Special Edition): $11.99 *
-Sabata: $9.99 *
-The Spikes Gang: $9.99 *

Shipping [FedEx Smartpost]: $0.00
Tax $0.00
Total $82.92

*Blind buy

Since I had some Paypal funds from recent digital copy sales, spent only $65 out-of-pocket for the bunch. :)

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:23 pm Thanks for the tip. I picked up THE PACKAGE and PURSUIT. Although, I always liked that cover for BODY SLAM (even the LP) with Virginia Madsen. :D
I bought that and have not watched it yet. Lol some day soon probably!!

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Got my shipment today, and watched three titles. Phobia is pretty lame, like an edited-for-TV 80's slasher with all of the violence taken out (and no interesting -- or even logical -- death scenarios). One character's phobia is rape, so she ends up getting killed by...being drowned in a bathtub? The Spikes Gangs is a decent enough western with Lee Marvin's two-fisted charisma and the amusement of seeing a very young Ron Howard and "Charlie" Martin Smith in the cast (plus a fine Fred Karlin score). Foxes is a typically slick-looking Adrian Lyne production, well-acted and sincere as far as early-80's teen movies go.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Like I wrote in my review, PHOBIA sucked. Not worth a blind buy.

SPIKES GANG was just okay.

FOXES is watchable and has some pull to it, but it's not a classic.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

I have a soft spot for Foxes. It's a guilty pleasure, and definitely silly and over the top in places -- yet, in some ways I find it a more honest portrayal of teenagers than many later 80s teen flicks. Even Moroder's songs are decent (and I'm not a "song score" guy). Adrian Lynne also depicts Los Angeles through the eyes of an outsider -- which gives the movie an interesting look (in contrast to Hollywood directors, who tend to capture that city with a bored indifference, because they live there).

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

FOXES is definitely a pleasant viewing experience. Very sincere. I like to pair it with LITTLE DARLINGS as enjoyable pre-PORKY'S teen picture before the genre really took off.

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

Bank Shot is pretty blah, far too broad and cartoony, leaching the film of its intended heist suspense (and it's not a terribly interesting heist anyways). A far better Donald E. Westlake "Dortmunder" adaptation was the breezy and charming The Hot Rock, which I got in the current TT sale. At least it was the cheapest of the Kino titles I picked up (only five bucks).

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Agreed, blah is the word.

Except for John Morris' score. That's dreadful. :shock: :mrgreen:

Monterey Jack

#13 Post by Monterey Jack »

Sabata is loads of fun, filled with amusing gimmickry and anchored by Lee Van Cleef's twinkly charisma (and a fine score). Glad I picked this one up, as I have a fondness for vintage spaghetti westerns, and this is one of the better ones I've seen.

Edmund Kattak

#14 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Has Kino-Lorber been known for generally mediocre transfers? So far, the couple I have seem pretty grainy - like THE PACKAGE (1989).
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Kino just takes whatever masters the studios give them, so the quality tends to vary wildly. Some look fantastic (like ones from a recent 2K or 4K scan), others not so much (like ones with HD masters produced a decade or more ago). At least they tend not to slather their catalog titles in excessive DNR, like Universal. And you can get almost any Kino title for $10 or less during one their frequent sales, with free shipping and zero tax for orders over $50.