ADDAMS FAMILY Series Looming from Tim Burton

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

ADDAMS FAMILY Series Looming from Tim Burton

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Looks like Tim is finally getting his crack at this -- possibly directing all (!?) episodes -- with the SMALLVILLE creators writing/producing/showrunning. Also wouldn't be a straight remake either, which would at least give it some novelty.

https://deadline.com/2020/10/tim-burton ... 234601840/
EXCLUSIVE: In what would mark his first major live-action TV series, Tim Burton is setting his sights on The Addams Family, looking to develop a new series focused on the famous clan. Sources tell Deadline that Burton is negotiating to executive produce and possibly direct all episodes of this new take on the franchise. Smallville developers/executive producers Alfred Gough and Miles Millar will be head writers on the show and serve as showrunners as well as exec producers along with Burton.

MGM TV, which controls underlying rights to the IP, financed the development of the series. As of right now, the package has multiple buyers bidding for it, including Netflix, which sources say is at the top of the list of landing the project.

While not confirmed, sources say the new live-action series would be set in present times and be from the perspective of Wednesday Addams and what the world would look like to her in 2020.

The tale of The Addams Family, a fictional household created by American cartoonist Charles Addams in 1938, has had a number of screen iterations over the years including two live-action TV series; a film franchise starring Raul Julia, Anjelica Huston and Christopher Lloyd; and most recently an animated movie from MGM with the sequel dropping in 2021.

The pairing of Burton and The Addams Family would be a perfect fit as the dark themes of the spooky clan line up so perfectly with what you see in classic Burton films like Beetlejuice and Edward Scissorhands. Burton clearly has interest in series with dark comedic themes, having also adapted the ’70s series Dark Shadows into a feature film starring Johnny Depp.

Burton previously developed and executive produced the animated series Beetlejuice, loosely based on his 1988 movie, which ran for four seasons from 1989-91. He had been focused on features over the past two decades but, with the industry constantly changing and so many A-list directors venturing into TV, it makes sense that Burton would make a return to the medium and embark on live-action series — and The Addams Family seems to be the perfect vehicle for that.

As for Millar and Gough, the two are no strangers to developing hit TV series as they were key components to the success of the long-running Superman series Smallville. Other big credits include the Shanghai Noon franchise and Sam Raimi’s Spider-Man 2.

Monterey Jack

Re: ADDAMS FAMILY Series Looming from Tim Burton

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

It's gonna be tough to replace Raul Julia.

Monterey Jack

#3 Post by Monterey Jack »

Is Burton ever gonna make another movie that isn't a remake of somebody else's property? Not since Corpse Bride (and maybe Big Eyes) has that happened. :?

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Luis Guzman will be Gomez, Catherine Zeta-Jones will be Morticia. :)

mkaroly

#5 Post by mkaroly »

I hated The Addams Family...100% The Munsters. I hated that the Addams family knew that they were different and relished it - it made the show unfunny to me. I always thought that The Munsters was so much funnier - they saw themselves as a normal, average American family and could never understand why people were so afraid of them. For those who love the Addams Family though, I am sure this will be a fun TV series for them to watch with Burton at the helm.

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Okay, that ""swimming pool" bit made me laugh out loud. :lol: Not sold yet on Luis Guzman as Gomez, but otherwise this looks like prime Burton. Excited to see this (and depressed that it will never have a physical disc release :x ).

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

It's a good teaser but I'm not sold. I didn't realize the basic idea -- I guess I didn't read the plot description closely enough -- is basically Wednesday going to Hogwarts. Looks very similar to all kinds of other series where there's some "academy of dark arts" and kids have different powers and such. We needed another one of those?

Zeta looks great, I agree on Guzman, but I'm assuming they're really not going to be in this much beyond cameos or the occasional episode where they will be highlighted.

Anyway I'll check it out but I hope it doesn't fall quickly into a formula pattern.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Reviews claim it's so dull I can't muster enough energy to watch it...

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 31098.html

https://gizmodo.com/wednesday-netflix-t ... 1849826139

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

Wow, a physical media release. From Netflix. :shock: