Ridley Scott's Napoleon - Director's Cut Now Streaming

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Re: Ridley Scott's Napoleon - "Clumsy, Funny" Critics Torch Scott's Latest

#31 Post by AndyDursin »

:lol: Doesn't look like he's worked with Scott before either, other than this one, barely-released 2011 film he produced -- which was shot in Rhode Island (with some scenes filmed at our local hospital that Joanne worked at!).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tell-Tale_(film)

AndyDursin

#32 Post by AndyDursin »

Speaking of Cox seems like he's having a rough time of it :lol:

Eric Paddon

#33 Post by Eric Paddon »

But no doubt he would have kind things to say about the Koran.

AndyDursin

#34 Post by AndyDursin »

For the sadists...
Apple Original Films announced today that Napoleon: The Director’s Cut, a new version of Ridley Scott‘s historical epic featuring 48 minutes of never-before-seen footage, is now available to stream globally on Apple TV+.

Starring Joaquin Phoenix as the French emperor and military leader, Napoleon grossed over $221 million worldwide last year when Columbia Pictures put it in theaters, garnering three Academy Award nominations for Best Achievement in Visual Effects, Best Achievement in Production Design and Best Achievement in Costume Design. The film is a fresh and personal look at Napoleon’s origins and his swift, ruthless climb to emperor, viewed through the prism of his addictive and often volatile relationship with his wife and one true love, Josephine (Vanessa Kirby).

The director’s cut delves deeper into Josephine’s origin story and features more extravagant costumes, new larger-than-life sets, and the previously unreleased Battle of Marengo scene. The audience is also given more details about Napoleon’s demise, from his attempted assassination to his failed invasion of Russia.
https://deadline.com/2024/08/napoleon-d ... 236072778/

AndyDursin

Re: Ridley Scott's Napoleon - Director's Cut Now Streaming

#35 Post by AndyDursin »

Review of the new cut:

Eric W.

#36 Post by Eric W. »

Somehow I continue to come back to not having any interest in seeing this.

Eric Paddon

#37 Post by Eric Paddon »

I remember thinking that if I hadn't taught this period of history, I'd be confused as to why Napoleon invaded the continent to begin with since the only context Scott kept giving us was his obsessive desire to get on with Josephine and have a son. I have to assume that part of the narrative still hasn't been fixed even with 48 more minutes.

Paul MacLean

#38 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2024 9:51 am Review of the new cut:

The reviewer notes “Napoleon is far from a trainwreck". Well yes, because you can't have a trainwreck until you gain momentum...which this movie never does.

I do take exception to the way the reviewer compares Napoleon to (in his words) "bloated" films like Doctor Zhivago. Zhivago is a classic, and easily among David Lean's greatest work.