INDIANA JONES & THE DIAL OF DESTINY To Rival "John Carter" As Disney's Biggest Bomb

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

INDIANA JONES & THE DIAL OF DESTINY To Rival "John Carter" As Disney's Biggest Bomb

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

I just can't muster any enthusiasm for Williams returning here. He's written every note for this series he needs to (as his tepid score for CRYSTAL SKULL illustrated IMO). I guess it's just easy money for him at this point, but much like the Disney Wars scores, I can't see this being anything other than lukewarm leftovers by his standards at this point.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/phoebe-wal ... 234672236/
EXCLUSIVE: Following the confirmation at the Disney Investors Presentation in December that the next film was a go, Lucasfilm and director James Mangold look to have their sights set on Harrison Ford’s first new co-star in the next installment of the Indiana Jones franchise. Sources tell Deadline that Phoebe Waller-Bridge is set to co-star opposite Ford in the fifth installment, with Ford returning as everyone’s favorite fedora-wearing, whip-slinging archaeologist.

Mangold is taking over directing reins from Steven Spielberg, who is still serving as a producer and is very much involved in various elements of the film. Kathleen Kennedy, Frank Marshall and Simon Emanuel will join Spielberg as producers. John Williams, who has worked on every score in the franchise including its iconic theme, will also return as composer.

The hope is to start production this summer, with Mangold meeting with other talent for other roles in preparation for production. Plot details are still vague on what new adventure awaits Jones, as are details behind who Waller-Bridge will play. The film is set to bow on July 29, 2022.

Waller-Bridge has had quite run after her TV show Fleabag became a critical darling, eventually sweeping the 2019 Emmys including wins for Best Actress and Best Comedy Series. Since then she has been busy on the TV and film front, serving as an exec producer on the hit BBC show Killing Eve as well as serving as a writer on the next James Bond pic No Time to Die. She is also set to co-star with Donald Glover in the Amazon series Mr. & Mrs. Smith, where she will also serve as an exec producer and writer.

This would mark a sort of pseudo-reunion for Waller-Bridge and Lucasfilm, having voiced L3-37 in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

mkaroly

Re: INDIANA JONES 5 John Williams Returning, Phoebe Waller-Bridge Co-Starring

#2 Post by mkaroly »

There is no good news here for me! Lol...I love John Williams but, like Andy, I am not confident something good will come out of this.

Eric W.

#3 Post by Eric W. »

No optimism here.

AndyDursin

#4 Post by AndyDursin »

Production will be "reconfigured as needed" doesn't sound like he's just taking a few days off.

Monterey Jack

Re: INDIANA JONES 5 - Harrison Ford Takes a Hiatus After Injury

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

This is nothing new, as Ford was off the production of Temple Of Doom for something like six weeks after horribly wrenching his back during the production of Temple Of Doom. :shock:

I have to say...is it really worth Ford putting his health and safety on the line at his age, just so fanboys can see him in this costume "one more time"? Would anyone want to see their elderly father injure themselves at work when they can just retire and enjoy their golden years? :?

To quote Sean Connery, "Let it go".

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

It's something new because he's not 40 anymore making these movies!

Eric W.

#7 Post by Eric W. »

Please don't make this movie. 4 was more than bad enough.

Edmund Kattak

#8 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Monterey Jack wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:55 pm This is nothing new, as Ford was off the production of Temple Of Doom for something like six weeks after horribly wrenching his back during the production of Temple Of Doom. :shock:

I have to say...is it really worth Ford putting his health and safety on the line at his age, just so fanboys can see him in this costume "one more time"? Would anyone want to see their elderly father injure themselves at work when they can just retire and enjoy their golden years? :?

To quote Sean Connery, "Let it go".
Don't forget, he was injured on RAIDERS forty years ago when the flying wing went over his leg and broke it.

Nevertheless, Andy's right. He's 79 years old now. The injury doesn't heal like it used to.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#9 Post by Monterey Jack »

Eric W. wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:11 pm Please don't make this movie. 4 was more than bad enough.
Disney's not gonna pull the plug, especially since this new movie will no doubt leave a back door open for "legacy sequels" to follow, with Ford cashing a big check to make cameos as grumpy "Professor Jones" sending off some wheelchair-bound mixed-race lesbian into the field to carry on his work. :lol:

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

:lol:

Where George screwed up royally was thinking that selling off his franchises was going to result in fresh new storytelling takes. Instead he sold it to the very epitome of a bottom line driven mega corporation that will leave no dollar left unturned and ram everything into the ground until there's nothing left. No script? No Spielberg? Who cares we have a brand and a release date.

Based on all the interviews he gave over the years, where he repeatedly stressed how he didn't want to just rehash everything, I guarantee Lucas has since figured out he could have just held onto it all and hired other people to make these films -- and do it better than Disney has. What he lost in the initial sale he could've mostly gotten a big chunk back from in terms of merch, selling off the distribution rights and general intake. At least he could've retained some semblance of QC or hired someone other than Kathleen Kennedy to run it. What a useless clog she's been.

Eric W.

#11 Post by Eric W. »

Monterey Jack wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:14 pm
Disney's not gonna pull the plug, especially since this new movie will no doubt leave a back door open for "legacy sequels" to follow, with Ford cashing a big check to make cameos as grumpy "Professor Jones" sending off some wheelchair-bound mixed-race lesbian into the field to carry on his work. :lol:

I have great fear in my heart for the truth that rings in your words. I can't rule any of that out these days and especially from a company like Disney.

LOL, agreed Andy.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

Looking good :roll:

Eric Paddon

#13 Post by Eric Paddon »

With the mask and his arm in that position, he looks more like he's about to rob a bank!

Eric W.

#14 Post by Eric W. »

Eric Paddon wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 2:18 pm With the mask and his arm in that position, he looks more like he's about to rob a bank!
That would be a better idea as opposed to making this movie.

Edmund Kattak

#15 Post by Edmund Kattak »

So, based on some of the set photos that are floating around the internet today, it appears that this movie is set in 1969? Well, plausible I guess. Ford would be about 9 or 10 years older than Henry Jones Jr. at that point.
Indeed,
Ed