Kino June Swoon Sale

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
Monterey Jack

Kino June Swoon Sale

#1 Post by Monterey Jack »

https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/co ... swoon-2021

More of a major splurge again...

My picks...

-Amazon Women on the Moon: $11.99 *
-The Captive City: $9.99 *
-The Choirboys: $9.99 *
-Crossed Swords $9.99 *
-The Beguiled: $11.99
-The Don is Dead: $9.99 *
-The Eiger Sanction: $11.99
-High Plains Drifter: $12.49
-Jamaica Inn: $12.49
-Lust, Caution: $9.99
-The Lost Weekend: $9.99 *
-Mad Max (UHD): $14.99
-Play Misty for Me: $12.49
-They Shoot Horses Don't They?: $9.99 *
-Two Mules for Sister Sara: $12.49
-Ulzana's Raid: $9.99 *
-Where the Boys Are '84: $9.99 *

Subtotal: $190.83
Shipping [UPS SUREPOST]: $0.00
Tax $0.00 :)
Total $190.83

* Blind buy

Edmund Kattak

Re: Kino June Swoon Sale

#2 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Yeah, thanks mj for that. I picked up some movies that are pretty much guilty pleasures. Some, will likely fade from the mainstream memory once these KN runs are done.

CHERRY 2000
SPACECAMP
MAN ON FIRE
MR. DESTINY
MAD MAX (4K)
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

I have yet to start my July Kino column but already have most of Kino's August titles which came in today. :shock:

Either way some great titles in there, support these guys as they support this site and also physical media in general.

Note SPACECAMP is in the wrong gamma Ed so when watching it back, if you have the ability, tone the gamma down a degree.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:32 pm Either way some great titles in there, support these guys as they support this site and also physical media in general.
Kino's my go-to "blind buy" label, as most titles you won't pay more than $12.99 for during sale periods, and usually $10 or less. :) Like how I splurged lavishly last sale due to being flush with stimulus money, I also decided to go nuts this time, as there's such a mountain of movies I'd like to check out it's the only way to keep pace with the sheer volume of discs they release in a year.

EDIT: ...and shipped, the day after I put in my order. :shock: A nice change of pace from the last sale, when it took weeks for my movies to ship.

Monterey Jack

#5 Post by Monterey Jack »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:44 pm SPACECAMP
Plenty of frizzy-haired 80s hotness on display in that. :D R.I.P. to Kelly Preston... :(

Plus, a young "Leaf" (aka Joaquin) Phoenix, in his film debut.

Edmund Kattak

#6 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Monterey Jack wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:37 pm
Edmund Kattak wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:44 pm SPACECAMP
Plenty of frizzy-haired 80s hotness on display in that. :D R.I.P. to Kelly Preston... :(

Plus, a young "Leaf" (aka Joaquin) Phoenix, in his film debut.
Yes. I saw this in the theater in 1986. It was very awkward just 8 months after the Challenger explosion, but Williams music kind of redeems what would have been a throwaway. The shuttle launch plot is absurd and started to get uncomfortable once they started to talk about the possibility of them not making back.
Indeed,
Ed

Monterey Jack

#7 Post by Monterey Jack »

Spacecamp is certainly not a "great" movie (the F/X looked kind of low-budget even at the time), but it's a very agreeable one that was HORRIBLY timed to the Challenger disaster. :( Obviously no one involved could have possibly anticipated this tragedy, but it did the movie no favors at the box office.

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

The FX also look much worse in Kino's release because the brightness is so erroneously raised that you see matte lines around nearly everything that you shouldn't be seeing, or ever did in previous releases.

I watched this with Theo last year and its a harmless, OK movie but nothing more. Though a victim of bad timing, it's also hard to imagine it would've been a big hit even without the Challenger disaster. Film isn't written or directed on a distinguished level, nor is the overall production itself remarkable outside Williams' scoring, which I find pretty much just serviceable outside the terrific end credits.

MJ rags on all these much better movies from the 1980s but seems to have a soft spot for SPACECAMP which really IS the pedestrian mediocrity he accuses most of the studio films of the decade that many people love as being. I attribute it all to the frizz factor of Kelly Preston and Kate Capshaw and the presence of Lea Thompson. And admittedly there are worse ways of killing off 2 hours for that very reason too! :mrgreen:

sprocket

#9 Post by sprocket »

Boy, is it hard to make a Kino sale order. :D

I've just resurfaced from a deep plunge into the sales catalogue and came out with the following order:

Shadow Play $7.99 (I've always had a soft spot for Dee Wallace and want to see her outside of horror/motherhood roles)
Man Without a Star $7.99
The Day the Earth Caught Fire (Special Edition) $9.99
Wild Women $5.49 (Hugh O'Brian TV movie - why not?)
Sidewalk Stories $6.49
Against All Flags $9.99
Charley Varrick (Special Edition) $9.99
Hell in the Pacific $10.99 (with alternate ending)
The Front Page (Special Edition) $9.99 (more Billy Wilder)
The Queen of Spades (Special Edition) $9.99 (classic British ghost story)
Queen of the Stardust Ballroom $9.99 (another TV movie, a casual musical with Maureen Stapleton)
Love with the Proper Stranger $9.99
Cry Freedom $7.99 (always loved this movie)
Jenny $6.99 (I'm curious to see Marlo Thomas on the 'big screen')
A Man, a Woman and a Bank $5.99

I like to get the TV movies because I think they are unlikely to be available in as high a quality in the future.

Damn, that shopping cart is filling up again...

Eric Paddon

#10 Post by Eric Paddon »

I'm not sure whether to commit to a purchase since there are about 4-5 titles maybe at most I could get (and they'd be scraping the bottom of the barrel at this point), but at the same time I could easily get a couple of those titles for free every month from Amazon because of the points I earn every month.

Monterey Jack

#11 Post by Monterey Jack »

Got my order today. Was pleasantly surprised to find slipcovers not only on all of the Eastwood titles, but even on the 4K Mad Max. :shock: I had heard that copies w/the slip had sold out ages ago.

On the negative side, the Mad Max case had that same ooky film inside the case that Kino's The Good, The Bad & The Ugly did. :? I was able to clean it out (as well as the discs) with a soft cloth, but it's seriously gross.

jkholm

#12 Post by jkholm »

Placed my order:

The Night Stalker (got The Night Strangler during the last sale)

The Audie Murphy Collection

The Day the Earth Caught Fire (what it feels like right now both in Texas and in Nevada where I'm visiting my parents)

Hell in the Pacific

mkaroly

#13 Post by mkaroly »

I ended up placing an order as well at the deadline. I didn't really need any of them, but what the heck.

Battleship Potemkin
The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (2014 Restoration)

Fear and Desire - although I am over my Kubrick obsession by 20 years or so, I have never seen this particular film, so finally being able to see it will mean I have seen all of Kubrick's films.

Oscar - don't really need this, but I remember liking it back in the day as a goofy and fun film.

Magician: The Astonishing Life & Work of Orson Welles - this is probably the one I am most interested in watching. Welles was a fascinating personality - I have seen a few of his films but not all of them. The cost of the Blu-Ray was $12.49...a bit steep compared to the other sale items but, what the heck.

Total: $56.95 with free shipping.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

Good news from Kino Lorber

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

The complete Dollars trilogy on UHD...

Just hope these can have full HDR.