SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and WATCHER IN THE WOODS Finally on Blu-Ray Via Disney Movie Club

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and WATCHER IN THE WOODS Finally on Blu-Ray Via Disney Movie Club

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Disney Movie Club alive again. Just had to resubscribe.

Monterey Jack

Re: SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and WATCHER IN THE WOODS Finally on Blu-Ray Via Disney Movie Club

#2 Post by Monterey Jack »

Shame there will be no extras.

BobaMike

Re: SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES and WATCHER IN THE WOODS Finally on Blu-Ray Via Disney Movie Club

#3 Post by BobaMike »

I have one more movie to buy to complete my second subscription...there hasn't been anything good in a long time, and I was thinking it'd have to be Black Widow :-/

Something Wicked This Way Comes might be a better choice though. Haven't seen it in years.

Eric Paddon

#4 Post by Eric Paddon »

Not going to reup for those. They'd have to come up with "Island At The Top Of The World" to get me to rejoin and I know that's not likely.

AndyDursin

#5 Post by AndyDursin »

Shame the original Clayton cut of SOMETHING WICKED wasn't produced at another studio because it would've been fascinating for it to get an official release. To be fair to the theatrical cut, what's interesting about it is that some of the film was improved by the reshooting, and that Clayton's first cut just didn't "click". When you see the movie minus those scenes of Vermont in October and the narration, it certainly feels "empty". They did improve the pacing, certainly, and as much as I like Delerue's score, Horner's music gives the film a lot of energy it didn't have otherwise. The narration was needed also, though I didn't really like the tone of the guy who spoke it.

Really it's just the reshot "spider sequence" that comes off as poorly executed because the kids had aged a full year and look it.

I still like the film on balance. WATCHER IN THE WOODS is not as good but Lynn-Holly was hot and I'll watch it again gladly in HD for the first time. 8)

Monterey Jack

#6 Post by Monterey Jack »

Monterey Jack wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:02 pm Shame there will be no extras.
Look like I spoke too soon...apparently The Watcher In The Woods will have the alternate endings as well as a "never-before seen alternate title sequence". :)

AndyDursin

#7 Post by AndyDursin »

Sweet, I resubscribed to DMC, and picked up a couple of extras to offset the cost on the secondary market (don't shoot me! lol). Very exciting on these two because there have never been HD masters available of them ever -- not on the streaming market or anywhere else. And it's terrific they put the WATCHER endings on there too!

I've never been a fan of FLIGHT OF THE NAVIGATOR (also out this week) but there's a better Region B release that has loads of special features, interviews, etc. on there on Blu-Ray.

For anyone who doesn't have the old laserdisc, here's the SOMETHING WICKED Image commentary track that's great and has Stephen H. Burum, Harrison Ellenshaw (hard to tell Burum and Ellenshaw apart at times) and Ray Bradbury talking about the movie, quite candidly. Sync it up with the film!

Monterey Jack

#8 Post by Monterey Jack »

So, can this batch be ordered on DMC at the moment, or what? I'm getting conflicting reports at BR.com.

AndyDursin

#9 Post by AndyDursin »

Yes they're up for ordering. (If you're looking to subscribe and use them as commitment titles though, that's a no-go, since they're not available on the enrollment screen)

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:14 pm(If you're looking to subscribe and use them as commitment titles though, that's a no-go, since they're not available on the enrollment screen)
Bah, looks like I'll have to wait, then. :(

AndyDursin

#11 Post by AndyDursin »

Why not just sign up and take a bunch of different movies you don't have or could sell off? The new titles don't show up right away as commitment titles on the site from what I've read -- though if you want to call, I think they could make it happen now instead of waiting.

Monterey Jack

#12 Post by Monterey Jack »

AndyDursin wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:07 pmthough if you want to call, I think they could make it happen now instead of waiting.
Maybe I'll give that a shot, because I'd love to have Something Wicked and Watcher for Halloween-time viewing next month.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Can't hurt. I've never done it but I remember reading that people called the 800 number and signed up, with the perk of the operator being able to offer some movies as fulfillment titles that weren't, at the time, on the website.

AndyDursin

#14 Post by AndyDursin »

My copies on these shipped already. 8)

Monterey Jack

#15 Post by Monterey Jack »

Bought copies of the DMC releases of Watcher In The Woods, Something Wicked This Way Comes and The Black Hole off of a fellow Blu-Ray.com member. $50 for the lot, very reasonable, and sealed, too. :) the first two will make an interesting "Dark DIsney" double feature next month...