Spielberg Wants To Make a BULLITT Sequel -- in 2022

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

Spielberg Wants To Make a BULLITT Sequel -- in 2022

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Yet another BAFFLING project for Spielberg -- shades of WEST SIDE STORY -- that unless you're over 65, has virtually no appeal as a commercial concept...plus the mere fact he's making a follow-up to a late '60s action movie, in the woke world of the 21st century, is simply nonsensical.

Apparently he's got enough cache left to get a major studio involved to spend money on him -- but this one makes as much sense as WEST SIDE STORY did. Maybe even less.

And good luck finding the next Steve McQueen. Is the guy who played SOLO back to tending bar? He's probably available.

Steven Spielberg is ready to take on another Steve... McQueen to be exact.

On Friday, Warner Bros. and Amblin confirmed that Spielberg is developing a new film centered on the character Frank Bullitt, as originated by Steve McQueen in 1968's Bullitt. It is not a remake, but rather an entirely new story built around the Bullitt character.

The film is still in development, with no deals done as of yet. Amblin says it will definitely not be Spielberg's next film, and he's currently in post-production on The Fablemans, a semi-autobiographical project loosely based on his childhood growing up in Arizona.

Kristie Macosko Krieger will produce alongside Spielberg, with Josh Singer (First Man) attached to write. Steve McQueen's son, Chad, and granddaughter, Molly, are also on board to executive produce.

The original Bullitt was produced by McQueen's production company, Solar Productions, and released by Warner Bros, who still hold the rights, and will be the home studio for this new project.

Edmund Kattak

Re: Spielberg Wants To Make a BULLITT Sequel -- in 2022

#2 Post by Edmund Kattak »

I wonder if Spielberg is just doing it at this point to service the woke culture at large. West Side Story focused on the "latino" culture and who knows this new "Bullit" will be about the rejection of all things "conventional combustion automobile" and try to position the green cars as the new hot and desirable "classic muscle car." Either way, it makes no creative or business sense, but one has to wonder if now the bill comes due on his decades of money and success from the current crony corporate Hollywood social justice mafia.
Indeed,
Ed

mkaroly

#3 Post by mkaroly »

He is bereft of ideas.

Monterey Jack

#4 Post by Monterey Jack »

Spielberg's earned the right to do whatever the hell he wants in his Golden Years more than any other filmmaker who has ever lived. For all the grousing about how West Side Story was "unnecessary" , it turned out to be brilliant and only flopped due to a Scamdemic terrorizing older moviegoers into staying home. Spielberg could remake Elmo In Grouchland, and I'd be like...

Paul MacLean

#5 Post by Paul MacLean »

^^
Seriously Jack, you'd watch anything Spielberg made? If he remade Caligula or Andy Warhol's Frankenstein you'd be interested?

What Spielberg should be making is a biblical or sword and sorcery epic -- if only just for the John Williams score!

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

Lol. It's like he's now hung up on remaking/revisiting films from the 60s he grew up with. West Side Story, now this, with another nostgia trip back to his childhood in the interim...I sense a pattern here.

For me Spielberg's been off his game for years. I love the guy but I don't love every movie he's made and I've liked very few of them in the last 2 decades.

No I didn't see WEST SIDE STORY but it failed commercially just like I thought it would. It would've struggled even without a pandemic for reasons I outlined right when it was announced.

Either way this is such a bizarre idea for a film in a world where there is no marketplace for it. You think there's a mass audience appeal for a movie sequel from the late 60s that most people under the age of 50 havent watched? And in this marketplace where only comic book movies are making coin? Come on.

And virtually no one cares about BULLITT. Even among most movie buffs I've ever talked to it's the movie with "the car chase" and that's about it. It's not a popular, enduring picture unless you are a McQueen fan...and there aren't a lot of them out there anymore. That's just the reality.

This smacks of a complete vanity project WB is willing to indulge him with. Utterly baffling.

Edmund Kattak

#7 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Spielberg has become part of the Hollywood corporate social justice mafia and does not need to be innovative or ground-breaking any longer. There is a lot more power, money, and politics involved at the Spielberg-Katzenberg-Geffen-Weinstein level. Instead of a good storyteller, he's become a storyteller with a political agenda. I don't think he's lost his touch or is devoid of ideas per se, but that this is his focus in his life now after achieving the level of success that he has in the past. He's got the money, power, and accolades that anyone would ever want or need. So what comes after that? He's a big Democratic Party donor and influencer and now uses his movies to inject the party's social values into the pop culture. He's always been a Democrat - and I've never hated him or his work prior to this dogma spilling into the DNA of his work. At some point after his work with Eastwood on FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS and LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA something snapped. CRYSTAL SKULL had some odd political undertow to it (The communist element in Academia and the "I hardly recognize this country anymore" that Jim Broadbent mused in the film) seemed too forced for an action/adventure picture. It was at the time near Bush's end of term and Obama's rise that something must have shifted his thinking much more left that it did. I always saw him as a JFK Democrat up until that point, but certainly he's an Obama type now. This distinction for me, in the context of this this discussion, is important because of the messaging that has injected into his movies that has seemingly become more obvious and prescient than the actual damn story in the movie. His whole explanation for the lack of English subtitles in WEST SIDE STORY seems a bit inane to those hanging on every word on the surface of it, but within the context of his politics, the Democratic party's goal is to flip the entire country blue by any means necessary to achieve "One Party Rule." And he is now an important figure in a powerful position to influence and change the public perception on these issues through his movies for a new generation - not so much for many of his older and more "grown Up" fans who have taken notice.

If you recall that HBO documentary "SPIELBERG" a few years back, one of things that left a bad taste in my mouth was him gawking into the camera and saying, "I'm a Patriot" with the twisted smile. If he would have said it in 1998 or 2006, then I would have believed him.
Indeed,
Ed

Chris Shaneyfelt

#8 Post by Chris Shaneyfelt »

And virtually no one cares about BULLITT. Even among most movie buffs I've ever talked to it's the movie with "the car chase" and that's about it. It's not a popular, enduring picture unless you are a McQueen fan...and there aren't a lot of them out there anymore. That's just the reality.
I'm a fan of a number of Steve McQueen's films and even I don't care for BULLITT! :lol:

I wonder if Spielberg is trying to capitalize on the BABY DRIVER/FAST AND THE FURIOUS/THE TRANSPORTER genre. Perhaps after the financial disappointment of WEST SIDE STORY he's looking for a "cash cow." I agree, Andy, that in general audiences' tastes are probably far removed from the likes of BULLITT. But time will tell, I guess.

Chris Shaneyfelt

#9 Post by Chris Shaneyfelt »

It was at the time near Bush's end of term and Obama's rise that something must have shifted his thinking much more left that it did. I always saw him as a JFK Democrat up until that point, but certainly he's an Obama type now. This distinction for me, in the context of this this discussion, is important because of the messaging that has injected into his movies that has seemingly become more obvious and prescient than the actual damn story in the movie.
Ed, I remember that scene in POLTERGEIST where Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams are lying in bed - he's reading a Reagan book and she's smoking a joint. A "marriage" of two cultures in suburban America: one conservative and the other liberal. It seems like it was more about representing the existing political and social sub-cultures in a film (but not dwelling on that) rather than imposing a specific political/social point of view (unlike Spielberg's films nowadays).

Monterey Jack

#10 Post by Monterey Jack »

Chris Shaneyfelt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:11 pm I wonder if Spielberg is trying to capitalize on the BABY DRIVER/FAST AND THE FURIOUS/THE TRANSPORTER genre. Perhaps after the financial disappointment of WEST SIDE STORY he's looking for a "cash cow." I agree, Andy, that in general audiences' tastes are probably far removed from the likes of BULLITT. But time will tell, I guess.
I love the fact that, despite recently turning 75, Spielberg is STILL pushing himself, trying out new tech (mocap) and doing films in genres and styles he's never done before (musicals, car chase movies). Compared to other, much-younger auteurs who are satisfied doing the same thing over and over and over (**coughWesAndersoncough**), Spielberg still has a boyish enthusiasm for the process that remains infectious, even with the occasional misstep.

I mean, look at this one shot from West Side Story, the fluidity, the technical expertise, all in one, unbroken take with no post-production massaging:

Most filmmakers would have labored over something like that for half the shoot, trying to finesse the footage endlessly in the editing room and with CGI. For Spielberg, it's a throwaway in a film FULL of such effortless shots. And this is the FIRST musical he's ever done! :shock:

Edmund Kattak

#11 Post by Edmund Kattak »

Chris Shaneyfelt wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:25 pm
It was at the time near Bush's end of term and Obama's rise that something must have shifted his thinking much more left that it did. I always saw him as a JFK Democrat up until that point, but certainly he's an Obama type now. This distinction for me, in the context of this this discussion, is important because of the messaging that has injected into his movies that has seemingly become more obvious and prescient than the actual damn story in the movie.
Ed, I remember that scene in POLTERGEIST where Craig T. Nelson and JoBeth Williams are lying in bed - he's reading a Reagan book and she's smoking a joint. A "marriage" of two cultures in suburban America: one conservative and the other liberal. It seems like it was more about representing the existing political and social sub-cultures in a film (but not dwelling on that) rather than imposing a specific political/social point of view. Your point about the importance of story over political/social messaging reminded me of this.
And that was okay with me the last time I saw that scene. It didn't seem like he was injecting one philosophy over another, but merely an observation of the co-existence of two alongside each other (I live that kind of existence now, but I am hoping for my wife to finally come around...and she does finally get some things). Now, it seems like one point of view is being forced over as gospel. Besides, I believe Craig T. Nelson is still a Libertarian, so there's still hope! :D

Even as much as I liked and enjoyed BRIDGE OF SPIES, I had to be on guard for how he handled that. It was mostly okay, but I think the Gary Frances Powers came off a little goofier than the way Rylance's more sympathetically framed Rudolph Abel. There is a clear difference between Powers "spy" persona of a CIA U2 pilot and Abel's secretive assimilation into society to spy and report back sensitive information - a more hurtful betrayal. Spielberg seems to frame Abel as more sympathetic to the audience than Powers is given credit for in the movie. I certainly feel that Powers, while not the villain, was the quiet pariah. We are supposed to feel for the Abel character at the end, but like Powers, made his choice - seemingly for a bleak outcome. Powers, at the end of the day, went back and we felt nothing. It's only when you study the history of the two outside the confines of the movie that Abel is colored more favorably than he probably should have been. These obtuse liberties that Spielberg takes with history are what irks me, along with when others do it.
Indeed,
Ed

Chris Shaneyfelt

#12 Post by Chris Shaneyfelt »

And that was okay with me the last time I saw that scene. It didn't seem like he was injecting one philosophy over another, but merely an observation of the co-existence of two alongside each other (I live that kind of existence now, but I am hoping for my wife to finally come around...and she does finally get some things). Now, it seems like one point of view is being forced over as gospel. Besides, I believe Craig T. Nelson is still a Libertarian, so there's still hope! :D

Even as much as I liked and enjoyed BRIDGE OF SPIES, I had to be on guard for how he handled that. It was mostly okay, but I think the Gary Frances Powers came off a little goofier than the way Rylance's more sympathetically framed Rudolph Abel. There is a clear difference between Powers "spy" persona of a CIA U2 pilot and Abel's secretive assimilation into society to spy and report back sensitive information - a more hurtful betrayal. Spielberg seems to frame Abel as more sympathetic to the audience than Powers is given credit for in the movie. I certainly feel that Powers, while not the villain, was the quiet pariah. We are supposed to feel for the Abel character at the end, but like Powers, made his choice - seemingly for a bleak outcome. Powers, at the end of the day, went back and we felt nothing. It's only when you study the history of the two outside the confines of the movie that Abel is colored more favorably than he probably should have been. These obtuse liberties that Spielberg takes with history are what irks me, along with when others do it.
I completely agree about one point of view/philosophy in recent films being forced over the other. Good points about BRIDGE OF SPIES - I was uneasy about the sympathetic portrayal of Rudolph Abel and agree that his betrayal was more hurtful. I agree that we are meant to feel more for Abel than Powers in the film, which is frustrating.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

Edmund Kattak wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 10:11 am He's always been a Democrat - and I've never hated him or his work prior to this dogma spilling into the DNA of his work. At some point after his work with Eastwood on FLAGS OF OUR FATHERS and LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA something snapped.
AMISTAD actually showed the Africans being sold by blacks into the slave trade -- something that few other movies or shows have bothered to portray. If Spielberg were making that movie today, would he still stick to the historical record, or would he be more concerned with the response from his Hollywood pals and the left's current politics? My money is sadly on the latter.

I agree with you Ed, something did change along the way. Spielberg was always apolitical when it came to movies -- religious undercurrents were occasionally present in his early work, and he often showed an appreciation and respect for Christianity even though he's a Jew. His more recent films, while not being overtly political, certainly have more of a left-leaning, overly political bent to them -- and he's really not very good at it either. When he puts that kind of thing on-screen, be it LINCOLN or a more contemporary work like THE POST, it's coming from this idealistic, "JFK era Democrat" POV that's far out of sync with today's Democrat party. Don't forget he made some political movie for Clinton didn't he that Williams scored? I can't remember, the music was on Williams' last Olympic album (the Salt Lake one).

Beyond politics, something else DID change with Spielberg's filmmaking over the years. It's evolved several times. The turning point for me wasn't so much SCHINDLER'S LIST -- it was HOOK. Instead of going on-location and shooting a movie in another place -- as he did so many times in his career before -- suddenly he's in Southern California, filming a big, expensive movie entirely on sets. And also with STARS. He went from shooting with capable actors like Dreyfuss and Ford (who weren't "superstars" when they were initially being cast in Spielberg's films) to suddenly shooting films with movie stars -- working with Robin Williams, Dustin Hoffman and Julia Roberts was a precursor to years of shooting movies with Tom Hanks and Tom Cruise.

He clearly became anchored to Hollywood and its life style, and his films generally convey that, both in his politics, and also in terms of the movies themselves. They're just kind of "there," they don't have the power, intensity and grittiness -- that location feel -- of his '70s and much of his '80s work. Add in Janusz Kaminski's ugly cinematography and the fact so many of his "escapist" films have lacked a real verve -- and have for years IMO -- and he's someone whose name carries a rep...but I'd argue it's been decades since it's really, truly mattered. BRIDGE OF SPIES was an agreeable film but it's probably the best thing he's turned out in 20 years, and even then nobody thinks of it as some kind of classic. It's a perfectly good movie, but nothing I'd revisit. Meanwhile the list of mediocre dramatic works -- THE POST, THE WAR HORSE -- to outright misfires -- from THE BFG to CRYSTAL SKULL -- is long.

Paul MacLean

#14 Post by Paul MacLean »

Monterey Jack wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:55 pm

Most filmmakers would have labored over something like that for half the shoot, trying to finesse the footage endlessly in the editing room and with CGI. For Spielberg, it's a throwaway in a film FULL of such effortless shots. And this is the FIRST musical he's ever done! :shock:
It's a great-looking moment, but most of the thanks should go to people other than the director. It's a fairly interesting shot, and the choreography is very impressive -- but Spielberg didn't choreograph the dancing. Someone else did that. The camera movement is nice and smooth, but Spielberg was not operating the camera. Someone else was. Everything is precisely positioned so the shot works like clockwork. But the assistant director was largely responsible for that.

Spielberg is a hugely talented and inventive filmmaker, and the overall idea for this scene is of course his -- but he also has the best people money can buy working for him. I'm not taking anything away from Spielberg (who is brilliant), but that's just the way it works. A director says "I want it to look like this" and a team of skilled artists and technicians then realize his vision. Would this scene be as impressive if he only had a few million and a novice choreographer and camera crew? I doubt it.

I'm far-more impressed by Jaws, where Spielberg was stuck with a fake shark that didn't work -- and was forced to innovate ways to depict shark attacks without being able to show the shark.