LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD $40 - Live Again (Don't Wait!)

Talk about the latest movies and video releases here!
AndyDursin

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD $40 - Live Again (Don't Wait!)

#1 Post by AndyDursin »

Hope everyone who had the COLUMBIA CLASSICS VOLUME 1 set sold theirs already!

Coming in a (long, long overdue) Steelbook along with the already-available BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
Celebrating its 60th anniversary. Winner of 7 Academy Awards® including Best Picture of 1962, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA stands as one of the most timeless and essential motion picture masterpieces. The greatest achievement of its legendary, Oscar®-winning director, David Lean (1962, Lawrence of Arabia; 1957 The Bridge on the River Kwai), the film stars Peter O’Toole — in his career-making performance — as T.E. Lawrence, the audacious World War I British army officer who heroically united rival Arab desert tribes and led them to war against the mighty Turkish Empire. Nominated for 10 Academy Awards in 1962, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA won seven, including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Cinematography [Color], Best Art Direction-Set Decoration [Color], Best Film Editing, Best Music [Score] and Best Sound.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI
Celebrating its 65th anniversary. When British POWs build a vital railway bridge in enemy-occupied Burma, Allied commandos are assigned to destroy it in David Lean’s epic World War II adventure THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI. Spectacularly produced, THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI captured the imagination of the public and won seven 1957 Academy Awards®, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Alec Guinness), and Best Director. Even its theme song, an old WWII whistling tune, the Colonel Bogey March, became a massive hit. THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI continues today as one of the most memorable cinematic experiences of all time.

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K ULTRA HD DISCS

Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, fully restored from the original camera negative
Feature split across two 4K Ultra HD discs
Dolby Atmos + 5.1 audio

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA BLU-RAY FEATURE DISC

Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
5.1 audio
Special Feature:
Secrets of Arabia: Feature-Length Picture-in-Graphics Track

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA BLU-RAY SPECIAL FEATURE DISC

Peter O’Toole Revisits Lawrence of Arabia
Making of Lawrence of Arabia Documentary
Deleted Balcony Scene with Introduction by Anne V. Coates
The Lure of the Desert: Martin Scorsese on Lawrence of Arabia
A Conversation with Steven Spielberg
Wind, Sand and Star: The Making of a Classic (1963 & 1970 Versions)
Maan, Jordan: The Camels Are Cast
In Search of Lawrence
Romance of Arabia
King Hussein Visits Lawrence of Arabia Set
In Love with the Desert Documentary
Lawrence at 50: A Classic Restored
Archival Interviews
Steven Spielberg on Lawrence of Arabia
William Friedkin on Lawrence of Arabia
Sydney Pollack on Lawrence of Arabia
New York Premiere Footage
Advertising Campaigns
Vintage Trailers & TV Spots

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI DISC DETAILS & BONUS MATERIALS
THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI 4K ULTRA HD DISC

Feature presented in 4K resolution with Dolby Vision, fully restored from the original camera negative
Dolby Atmos + 5.1 + original monaural audio

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI BLU-RAY DISC

Feature presented in high definition, sourced from the 4K master
5.1 audio
Special Features:
Crossing the Bridge: Picture-in-Picture Graphics Track
Making of The Bridge on the River Kwai
The Steve Allen Show with William Holden & Alec Guinness
The Bridge on the River Kwai Premiere Narrated by William Holden
“Rise and Fall of a Jungle Giant” Featurette
USC Short Film Introduced by William Holden
An Appreciation by Filmmaker John Milius
Photo Gallery
Theatrical Trailers

John Johnson

Re: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA Finally Announced For 4K UHD Individual Release - 6/7

#2 Post by John Johnson »

Really awful covers for Lawrence and Bridge
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#3 Post by AndyDursin »

Indeed, but still better than spending $150+ for the UHD from the Columbia Classics set!

Paul MacLean

#4 Post by Paul MacLean »

Great news!

I consider Lawrence of Arabia — in the realm of artistry and technique at least — the greatest film ever made. And it is one of those movies that should only be viewed in the highest quality possible.

John Johnson

#5 Post by John Johnson »

AndyDursin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:04 pm Indeed, but still better than spending $150+ for the UHD from the Columbia Classics set!
I can wait. Hopefully, one of the other regions will go with a better cover.
Anyway, I still have the 50th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition, unopened. I got this as a Christmas present one year, and still haven't opened it.
London. Greatest City in the world.

AndyDursin

#6 Post by AndyDursin »

I don't care much about covers, my goal is always to get the best version of the actual film for as cheap as humanly possible -- then it sits on the shelf.

Not the way it is on Blu-Ray.com though. Does anyone there even WATCH the discs? Entire discussions -- page after page -- are often exclusively about cases and slipcovers. Then the disc comes out -- nobody watches it, and the threads die. Utterly BIZARRE.

Edmund Kattak

#7 Post by Edmund Kattak »

John Johnson wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 2:04 pm
AndyDursin wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:04 pm Indeed, but still better than spending $150+ for the UHD from the Columbia Classics set!
I can wait. Hopefully, one of the other regions will go with a better cover.
Anyway, I still have the 50th Anniversary Limited Collector's Edition, unopened. I got this as a Christmas present one year, and still haven't opened it.
I sold that set last year, unopened, for $100. I remember paying only $29.99 from Amazon in 2016. Glad I didn't open it.
Indeed,
Ed

AndyDursin

#8 Post by AndyDursin »

Lousy art or not, even this steelbook is now OOP and sells for over $100 on Ebay every time out. Could be a repressing at some point but who knows when. And right now there's still nothing overseas or coming.

Have to strike while the iron is hot with Sony releases. When they tell you something is limited...it actually is.

Paul MacLean

#9 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:19 am Have to strike while the iron is hot with Sony releases. When they tell you something is limited...it actually is.
I kept putting off buying this one. "I'll get it next month, I'll get it next month..."

Oh well. :(

AndyDursin

#10 Post by AndyDursin »

There may well be another printing of it -- I would preorder it for sure the next time!

The thing that Sony does on these Steelbooks is enhance the disc they released before. STARSHIP TROOPERS, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI -- these have all been improved with Dolby Vision HDR and also have extras the previous 4K UHD's didn't have. Same goes for their LABYRINTH and GHOSTBUSTERS re-issues (not in Steelbooks but collectible deluxe releases) -- their 2nd UHD's are better and have more extras over their initial UHD releases. Sony does a good job giving the buyer "more" in addition to the packaging with these sets.

As for LAWRENCE, it remains something of an elusive release -- the Columbia Classics package is OOP and now commands hundreds of dollars, making the individual Steelbook itself collectible ($100+) since there's no other release outside those two options. If they do another printing of the Steelbook -- again I wouldn't bother complaining about the cover art. If you just want to WATCH THE MOVIE in easily its best form on home video, just go for it.

Paul MacLean

#11 Post by Paul MacLean »

AndyDursin wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 10:47 pm If they do another printing of the Steelbook -- again I wouldn't bother complaining about the cover art. If you just want to WATCH THE MOVIE in easily its best form on home video, just go for it.
Honestly, cover art is next-to-meaningless to me. My movies are all stored in bookshelf anyway. I hardly ever look at the artwork! I just want to watch the movie -- in 4K!

I consider Lawrence the Best film ever made, and one of those movie that must be viewed in the best possible quality.

AndyDursin

#12 Post by AndyDursin »

I'm with you Paul, I'm not a packaging person. The only time I really complained was basically the OMEN set Fox released years ago that had no sleeves OR plastic tabs. That's it. I store it and forget it, and while I dislike bad cover art, that never would stop me from owning a disc if it's the only available release -- like here. 8)

I will let you know if this turns up again. The transfer is spectacular.

AndyDursin

#13 Post by AndyDursin »

OK you've got another chance! Sony doing another pressing of LAWRENCE in early October.

NOTE - the price is actually $45 once you click thru and may drop (should drop) again before release

mkaroly

Re: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD Repressing Coming in October

#14 Post by mkaroly »

Must be gone again - that link takes me to sellers hocking their wares for a minimum of $200.

AndyDursin

Re: LAWRENCE OF ARABIA 4K UHD Repressing Coming in October

#15 Post by AndyDursin »

Ugh sorry Michael. If it comes back I will repost again.